Dark Heresy 1E : Scatter/Shotgun Multiple close targets

By TheGamingMed, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hello,

Was looking into this online but couldn't find an answer for my exact question.

I run a Dark Heresy campaign and we're all still figuring out the rules (Current running Edge of Darkness). One of my players had a shotgun at 15m range and wanted to shoot at a body snatcher with one PC beside it. I felt that the scatter pattern at that range would likely hit the PC also but couldn't find any rule clarifying chances to hit adjacent players.

Scatter special appears to only cover extra hits against targets at PBR but it doesn't make sense for shotguns to be more likely to hit multiple people at close range than medium?

Anyone able to clarify if there's a rule for say : 50% chance to hit someone else within 15 degree line of fire/<1m from target at Medium range?

23 hours ago, TheGamingMed said:

I felt that the scatter pattern at that range would likely hit the PC also but couldn't find any rule clarifying chances to hit adjacent players.

Scatter special appears to only cover extra hits against targets at PBR but it doesn't make sense for shotguns to be more likely to hit multiple people at close range than medium?

With the exception of Flame and Blast weapons the only rule about friendly fire is "Shooting into Melee" from page 196 of the Corebook.

Scatter quality describes shotguns not very realistic, yes, but this is RAW.

Well, since the shot is scattering, rather than convergingā€¦

Anyone able to clarify if there's a rule for say : 50% chance to hit someone else within 15 degree line of fire/

This happens in arcades. šŸ˜ Just try search [shotgun +pattern]. Diagrams vary, but

1. Usually spread is about 1 m wide close to the end of effective range. Choke/barrel length/load change mostly that effective rangeā€¦

2. ā€¦because the distribution of shot is close to bell curve (unless it's suboptimal, i.e. something doesn't work right). Thus some of shot strays, but at low probability.

3. The common classification of chokes is simply by the density of patterns at the standard range:

The designations are defined by the percentage of the pellets from the shotshell that land in a 30 inch circle at a distance of 40 yards. Generally, cylinder means 40%, ske et 45%, improved cylinder 50%, ske et II 55%, modified 60%, improved modified 65%, full 70%, and extra full choke 75%.

Of course, it does not work quite the same way for birdshot and buckshot, but the general principles are the same; also, while effect of strays is greater, they are less likely, since massive projectiles are more stable.

<1m from target at Medium range?

Makes sense, butā€¦ <1m is not even average melee, it's closer to wrestling "range".

Edited by TBeholder
lol, it censors "s k e e t"