called shot (Minuscule target)

By Sirion2, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

If I want to make a called shot to the "left eye - pupille" or "the chain on which the npc wears the ancient artifact of greater vorpal doom" and my gm tells me whoooh called shots are only for hit locations and you want to hit a "Minuscule" target as in the rules for -30

what if I have precise blow / deadeye shot / sharpshooter ?

no penalties, -10 or -30 ?

or do you think it should still be a normal called shot

and what about armour? if his eye is expodes (like with a medieval metal helmet, a flak cloak) how does armour count? (just persuming that a power armor visor has the same armour rating than the ceramite plates at his left leg)

I would say if they have the appropriate talents, it is no penalty for a called shot. HOWEVER, there is a size penalty. I would say at least -20 if shooting someone in the eye.

That being said, there is no "eye" critical chart, there is just a head critical chart. Its up to the GM to decide

1. if armor covers it (my character wears a fell carapace helm, so you wouldnt see his eye, but a trooper might have an open faced flak helm that you could)

2. what consequences will it have? does that give the opponent a minus to perception/BS if they are shot in the eye?

Also remind the players what comes around goes around. They might change their mind when your bad guys spend a full round aiming at their trigger finger with a hunting rifle.....

If one of my players asked:

Called shot penalty (-20?), + size penalty (-30), and if the target has done anything except stand completely still, not moving, not attacking, nothing, then just bump it up to -60 total. Then I might allow it, only for an aimed single shot from an accurate weapon.

Armor is applied by location, so yes the eye slit in a visor should still grant the armor rating for the head location to the eye.

ItsUncertainWho said:

If one of my players asked:

Called shot penalty (-20?), + size penalty (-30), and if the target has done anything except stand completely still, not moving, not attacking, nothing, then just bump it up to -60 total. Then I might allow it, only for an aimed single shot from an accurate weapon.

Armor is applied by location, so yes the eye slit in a visor should still grant the armor rating for the head location to the eye.

well called shot already is for target size I think (an arm being less big then a human) maybe having it like shooting a target is like shooting a rabbits leg (rabbit is one size category smaller and then do a called shot) would be more appropriate then doing a called shot AND having -30 for size

and yes armor is provided by location but having donned a chestplate only halfway through so only my back is covered would result in what? no armour at all? full armour? half of its AP ? (yes I know it does not work that way that you could only don the back half)

having a full helmet with a "glasramite" should cover the eye but an ork in his power armour where his head is roughly protected by a metal construction on the back of his head covers it's face? rules say yes but the rule book dictates common sense so the flak cloak probably does not cover the eye with some sort of see-through nylon fabric (at least I think so) so... if we have a system to do called shots how to use it to simulate an eye shot?

Flak Armour on lexicanum if someone wants to put out that it is actually doable to cover the face with invisible fabric

so provided I face an enemy and want to shoot him in the eye (for surpassing armour or just for style) how would you seriously handle it?
(both penalties and armour rules)

and even if combining some called shot -20 tiny target -30 and moving -20 and -20 because you're the gm and dislike it it is doable with unnatural aim point blank accurate laser sight targeter + full aim action +sharpshooter with ease at a +40 with a decent weapon skill of 50 with a 90% chance

and if I want to do loads of damage I'ld just dual wield pistol gripped hunting rifles with laser sight targeter mighty shot and dual shot and manstopper bullets 6d10+10 damage pen 3 armour once toughness twice every second round is enough so that we need not to rely on eye targeting to kill stuff it is just about how would you make the system represent called shots to the eye or other stuff (remember the chain example... it dosn't have to be about damage)

On the whole eye shot thing, it's really not all that complected and one thing I believe the RAW can simulate fairly well.

First, consider that no one shoots someone else in he eye on purpose. If it ever happens, it's just where the bulit happens to go, not where the shooter intended. Lets face it, such a shot, if intended, is one of those mythical one in a billion shots and is not something that can be duplicated on a whim or ever again in the shooters life.

That being said, however, I'd rule that the shot it self, barring any other combat circumstances (such as range, weather, fatigue, a running target, etc) would be a -30. That -30 is for hitting a minuscule target which I believe is all that's necessary to make a called shot on something like an eyeball. Hitting someone's eye at 20 feet wouldn't be too different from hitting a small field mouse at 20 feet after all. Likewise, the default negative for a default called shot (that is a shot targeted at a specific body part) is the same as a shot to a puny target (the size of servo-skull which is, believe it or not, about the size of a human head which just happens to be a target you can sight up with on a called shot)... coincidence? I think not. So, a called shot on someones eye would be a simple as applying a simple -30 to the shot, a -30 that can be mitigated to a -10 with Sharpshooter and Deadeye Shot. However, there's a punch-line coming up.

While the shot it self would only give a -30 at most (barring other circumstances not directly related to putting someones eye out) the targets full AP and TB-1 for any armour worn on the head would apply to the damage rolled. Why? Simple, just because you managed a difficult but by no means a one in a billion shot doesn't mean that the shot actually hit the target in the eye. You managed to put the shot somewhere on the head or face area, but it might not have actual;y hit the eye it self. For taking an extra -10 to the shot, I'd cut the shooter a small break and remove one TB for the purpose of damage soak, but that's it. If you manage to hit the target with your -30 (plus or minus all the other numbers that could get factored in) and you managed to score enough damage to bypass the armour and TB and kill the target outright, then and only then do you fully and completely succeed in such a 1 in a billion shot. Otherwise, you were close, maybe very close, but not exactly on target winging the targets helmet, smashing their cheekbone, blowing off their chin, taking off an ear, having your bullet deflect off of their brow ridge, or what ever else is appropriate for the amount of damage that you end up doing.

Simple, clean, and neat.

To make a long story short: You can fatally shoot someone in the eye when you make a called shot to the head and manage to deal enough damage that the enemy suffers a lethal crit result.

so called shot remains a called shot no matter if it is left nostril, left eye, right ear, or head, it's just the same and it always get's the complete AP for the head and my GM still decides for cinematical effects and where it does exactly hit... so I can try to shoot for the ear for style if I play an obsessed corrupted psyker that believes left ears have to be shot off first and get the same effect as shooting the ear and my gm has to rule if the ear is hit or not...

ok back to my arch nemesis has stolen my trinekt on a necklace that was given to me from my dead wife which I have sworn to revenge as he slayed her and as he is getting away I want to at least get my necklace back and want to shoot that necklace so the trinket will fall down? of course it is a GM decision to say ... uuuuuuuh -x0 which probably will be either -20 for called shot and -x for whatever or is it just plain -x (meaning sharpshooter has no effect) or is it impossible?

(while the robin hood style I shoot the string on which xy is hung is just a plain -30 +range mods because it's just size and not a living target /enemy)

and for rules size penalties can't go further then -30 so hitting the spot where a fly sits (not the fly) is still -30 no matter if heavy grenade launcher multi las dueling las hunting rifle chain axe or "improvised weapon flyswatter" as the fly itself is just several size categories below a human it is the same to hit the fly because penalties for really really bloody small just go as far as -30 and making a called shot to the flys head is another -20 which combine to -50 being at point blank and aiming for a full action (or using a full burst) should make this a challenging +0 shot with my weapon of choice

am I getting this right?

The way I would play it is this way.

Called shot allows for a hit location on a human body. Hit locations are defined as head, body, left/right arm/leg. If you have the talents and you want to shot a hit location, no negatives to the shot.

If you want to get more defined then it becomes a smaller than human sized target. You then would take negatives to the shot due to it's size.

As for the whole armor thing, I think a lot of it depended on the situation. If you are in combat and they are in combat I probally would require you to get extra degrees of success to hit them in the eye and not have armor apply.

Page 387 of the core rulebook implicitly states that to hit the eyes of a human-sized opponent is -20 to WS or -30 to BS. There is no mention of it being a "called shot", or any mention of armour.

That is a plot device for the encounter, it is 'designed' to be hit for those penalties.