Dynasty of Shenzhou

By IamGazrok, in Realms of Terrinoth

This was a fan-made add on for Runebound. But, the cool thing about it, is that it gives Terrinoth a culture it is missing that is common in fantasy gaming....the Orient.

I've incorporated it into my campaign, and fleshed it out a bit. Can see it here if you like. https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/place/246657

I also made a Bestiary for it, as there are some really odd monsters here.

https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/365516

I think an "orient" is necessary for Terrinoth to make sense.

There is a lot in RoT about what each Barony produces, and also about trade with Lorimor, Al-Kalim, and Isleim, but unless you assume that all trade goods are found only in Lorimor (which has a similar temperate climate as Terrinoth?), Al-Kalim (which has a predominantly arid, desert climate), and Isheim (which has a cold climate, again not conducive to agriculture?) then there must be some place else "beyond" Al-Kalim.

Our real-world analogue are India, the Malay archipelago, and China, so it seems natural that Mennara also has some place that produces exotic goods in demand in Terrinoth, and at the same time has a demand for Terrinoth goods.

On top of that, I wonder about the impact of the Darkness-es in Terrinoth and the reign of the Djinni in Al-Kalim on this international trade. Could the rise of the Djinni, or the overthrowing of the Djinni cause a disruption in trade that crippled the Terrinoth economy, which made them less able to fend off threats?

Unless you are planning to let your players adventure far from Terrinoth, I guess those questions don't really matter; but as a GM I am intrigued by the implications.

Later on...they will certainly travel all over Mennara. But for first 6 or so...just Terrinoth.

In my campaign, the prior emperors stayed out of the fighting and stayed reclusive (allowing geography to keep them isolated). That won't be an option during the current, coming Darkness that the PCs will be facing. But, the PCs will be tasked with trying to convince the current Emperor of the need to get involved this time around. (when the time comes). For now, the PCs are just getting acquainted with the world still. This next adventure (the 3rd one) will actually have more direct involvement of Lord Vorakesh's minions....so that will be fun.

Edited by IamGazrok

Note, whoever came up with these cards really knew their stuff. I'm pretty up on mythology, but there were a LOT in here that were completely new to me....but I was lucky enough to find great images for. These were really well researched, so if you need some weird monsters to throw at your PCs, check it out. I mean sure, Oni, and Kappa were fairly common, but a lot of the others are just weird.

Update, I reached out to the creator of this expansion and got his permission to do a Bestiary based on it. Will be a while, but very cool.