FFGLive L5R content...

By Mon no Oni, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

... apparently, none. Lots of questions in the chat, all purposefully ignored. Other than a general mention of trying new release models and mentioning the 6 packs 6 weeks with mixed results, then something about the RPG, nothing in around 1:30 hours. Now, I jumped a couple of minutes forward now and then, and I may have missed something. Im not sure if that bodes well. 🙄

Apparently you just missed it. It was brief, granted. They confirmed that we can expect more player-influenced story decisions from the LCG in future. They are interested in making more L5R boardgames, but haven't had a good pitch they liked and thought would be successful (yet). When asked about if there will be a revised core set, they brought up rotation and suggested to look at Netrunner for what to expect if things go according to plan (so probably expect a revised core around the same time rotation happens).

D'oh! I guess I missed that bit skipping. Still almost no content and barely no questions answered. It's something I guess... do you have an aproximate time where that's mentioned?

Yeah for me the big news was that he pretty much confirmed a revised core set, which is honestly great news. That worked fantastically for Netrunner considering it got rid of all the problem cards from core and the first two cycles. Netrunner's revised core had reprints of a subset of the cards from the core and first two cycles that were rotating out. For Netrunner if gave them a nice new jumping on point for new players and also greatly cleaned up the issues in the card pool that had been holding the designers back since core.

The other big news was that they are apparently going to cool down on the AGOT releases because they are nearing a narrative brick wall for that game. That would mean L5R is the last competitive LCG standing, which is significant.

9 hours ago, phillos said:

Yeah for me the big news was that he pretty much confirmed a revised core set, which is honestly great news. That worked fantastically for Netrunner considering it got rid of all the problem cards from core and the first two cycles. Netrunner's revised core had reprints of a subset of the cards from the core and first two cycles that were rotating out. For Netrunner if gave them a nice new jumping on point for new players and also greatly cleaned up the issues in the card pool that had been holding the designers back since core.

The other big news was that they are apparently going to cool down on the AGOT releases because they are nearing a narrative brick wall for that game. That would mean L5R is the last competitive LCG standing, which is significant.

It is. Now all they need to do is dpuble down and properly support it.

Even if thrones truly dies out (and it sounds like they still have plans to support it in some capacity, and might revive it once more novels are published), they still have Keyforge which has proven to be far more popular and lucrative for them than the LCGs thus far. Plus they're releasing Marvel as a coop LCG, which is sure to get lots of support with the initial push for releases they're planning for it. I honestly don't see significantly increased support for L5R in the near future, sadly. Getting into a regular, timely schedule of releases and putting out information for upcoming events/product would be a good step that arguably wouldn't require much more support, though.

18 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Even if thrones truly dies out (and it sounds like they still have plans to support it in some capacity, and might revive it once more novels are published)

:lol:

Don't hold your breath.

Martin was able to cash in on the success of his unfinished work and reap all the rewards without doing another 10 years worth of work. That old perv is gonna be chilling out on some island somewhere having people cosplay GoT orgies for him. He's might lend his name to something, but, his serious writing days are over.

I'd rather he just pass on his notes to Brandon Sanderson and have him wrap things up. It would be a totally different GoT experience, but, at least we know it would get finished.

3 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

:lol:

Don't hold your breath.

Martin was able to cash in on the success of his unfinished work and reap all the rewards without doing another 10 years worth of work. That old perv is gonna be chilling out on some island somewhere having people cosplay GoT orgies for him. He's might lend his name to something, but, his serious writing days are over.

I'd rather he just pass on his notes to Brandon Sanderson and have him wrap things up. It would be a totally different GoT experience, but, at least we know it would get finished.

So you want a rushed job that ignores a multitude of dangling plot threads?

30 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

So you want a rushed job that ignores a multitude of dangling plot threads?

You mean like the HBO series? We already have that.

If you're still holding out hope that the books will get done, I think you're delusional, but, I hope your continued optimism wins out. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

If you're actually besmirching my boi B-Sand...……….then we are going to fight after school, 3:00 by the bike rack! :angry: :lol:

Edited by Ishi Tonu
4 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

You mean like the HBO series? We already have that.

If you're still holding out hope that the books will get done, I think you're delusional, but, I hope your continued optimism wins out. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

If you're actually besmirching my boi B-Sand...……….then we are going to fight after school, 3:00 by the bike rack! :angry: :lol:

Sorry I'm still looking at what he did to the end of Wheel of Time and so can't really accept him taking the reins unless its dire circumstances (hint Martin would need to be in the ground) just because that ending was in many ways worse then what D&D did to Song of Ice and Fire.

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

Sorry I'm still looking at what he did to the end of Wheel of Time and so can't really accept him taking the reins unless its dire circumstances (hint Martin would need to be in the ground) just because that ending was in many ways worse then what D&D did to Song of Ice and Fire.

To be fair, WoT had it's own fair share of problems, other than the author being dead, before Sanderson took over.

Heck, the beginning of the first book of WoT is dangerously close to plagiarizing LoTR. Granted the series isn't without it's high points, but, even before his death Jordan had to write a book to un-paint himself from the corner he had stuck himself in.

I feel it's a bit unfair to Sanderson to blame him for how things were "wrapped up." He probably just should have turned it down. Maybe Erickson would have been a better choice?

Finishing a great series is no easy feat. There are so many out there that either don't get done or fall into the trap of milking a good thing.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Based on some of the interviews given, I think the tv show actually distracted George from finishing the novels in a big way. Especially early on when he was more involved. But they always have something that gets him in, and he becomes distracted. He seems to need periods of time to focus.

I agree that it seems like L5R missed its window here. Even getting regular product and events won't make it more popular than keyforge. The distribution model, and even the game makes it hard to pick up.

Edited by Radix2309
1 hour ago, Radix2309 said:

Based on some of the interviews given, I think the tv show actually distracted George from finishing the novels in a big way. Especially early on when he was more involved. But they always have something that gets him in, and he becomes distracted. He seems to need periods of time to focus.

I agree that it seems like L5R missed its window here. Even getting regular product and events won't make it more popular than keyforge. The distribution model, and even the game makes it hard to pick up.

I honestly think that it was a combination of fatigue from press and the knowledge that once the show was threatening to catch up to his writing it was actually preferable to let the show do the heavy lifting and essentially use it as a test for the audience reaction. I will not be surprised if the final version addresses so many of the complaints just so he can say yeah this is what I intended.

The problem is that HBO has the GoT prequel series, which Martin will likely be an advisor on. We all know how much he likes to be on set so he can see naked people. If that carries on even 3-4 years that's going to delay book 6 until at least 2025. More than likely longer because HBO will try to get as much mileage as they can. Every time I hear him speak about finishing the books I get the impression it's not something he's determined to do.

Still hoping HBO or Netflix takes a look at the Rokugan world and decide its worth looking for producers.

I still very much look forward to who they cast as Bayushi Kachiko. 🥰

P.S. With all the Walking Dead and similar spinoffs recently, there shouldn't be any trouble making special affects for a monster gory bloody war series.