Target/Target Figure/OTL ruling from Todd

By Fightwookies, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

I got this clarification from Todd on his ruling for Set for Stun a while back, and meant to post it as it changed the way that I understood OtL attack resolution. I'll post the whole convo for context, but the good stuff is in Todd's last reply.

Original Rules Question:

• Hi Todd, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but I had a question in regards to a recent ruling you had on Set for Stun and On the Lam. It seems inconsistent with the FAQ ruling on declaring a new target space. Set for Stun doesn't refer to a target space, and nothing in the stun condition keyword refers to a target space that I can find. Is there something that I am missing, or was that ruling based on how the card is intended to work? Either is fine, I was just confused. Thanks! Your ruling was posted in the forums here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/282510-set-for-stun/?do=findComment&comment=3500816 The FAQ that I'm referring to is below: "During an attack, if the attacker’s line of sight to the target space changes or if the defender moves, the attacker must then re-declare a target space. If none of the defender’s spaces are eligible, the attack misses, there is no target space, and abilities that refer to a target space have no effect."

Todd's first reply:

Hi Dane,

Assuming I’m reading your question correctly, we’ve interpreted the lack of a target space to mean that there is no longer a target. The figure was previously the target of the attack, but when Set for Stun checks to see if it can make the target become Stunned, it doesn’t find a “target” to apply the effect to. Hope that answered your question!-- Todd Michlitsch

My Follow up question:
  • Thanks Todd. If I follow your logic correctly; re-declaring a target space (in the FAQ) is being used synonomously with re-declaring a target, and any effects that would affect either the target or target space would become invalid? I assume this does not prevent the attacking figures from using abilities such as Recover or Leia's Military Efficiency, or Blaise's Interrogate as those skills do not have a direct impact on the target figure?

Todd's last Reply

Hey Dane,

Sorry for the wait, it’s been a busy few weeks here!

1. Basically, yes. Target figures and target spaces are so related that I’ve not yet seen an example where they’re not the same.
  2. If the attack is interrupted and subsequently has no target, no further steps should be taken and it is resolved immediately. This is treated the same as if the defender was defeated as an interrupt during the attack. The attacker cannot then spend surges or resolve any later parts of the attack.

Thanks for the question! -- Todd Michlitsch

Edited by Fightwookies