I Made a Write-Up of Many of Keyforge's Most Popular Formats

By tsilver33, in KeyForge

Hey everyone. I host weekly Keyforge events for one of our FLGS, and once a month we're going to be hosting a night to give away the Prize Kits. We'll be voting each month on the format to use. I took the time to create a post explaining what each of the possible formats for the night are, so I figured I'd share them here as well for anyone who wants a quick run down. For those curious, it looks like Gauntlet will win the poll this month.

All of these formats are Best of 1. In all Archon events, deck lists are shared before beginning any match. In all Sealed events, they are not. With the exception of Chainbound Archon, chains decks have earned in prior events will be ignored for this event.

Archon
The Simplest format. All participants bring a single deck they own and compete in a Swiss bracket. Chains that any deck have earned are ignored for this event.

Chainbound Archon
All participants bring a single deck they own and compete in a Swiss bracket. Chains that a deck has earned in prior events ARE used in this event. This means that if you bring a deck that has earned 5 chains in other Chainbound events, it will have 5 chains here as well.

Sealed (Current Set)
All participants purchase a single, unopened deck of the newest Keyforge expansion. Players register with the deck they open and may only use that deck for the event, Swiss brackets.

Sealed (Any Set)
All participants purchase or bring a single, unopened deck of any Keforge expansion. Players register with the deck they open and may only use that deck for the event, Swiss brackets.

NOTE: Not all expansions may be available to purchase at the store at the day of the event. If you wish to use an older expansion in this format, please ensure you bring an unopened one to the event. Boxes that have been opened but not registered in the app will not be allowed, all decks may only be opened in front of the TO during registration.

Quick Adaptive (Archon)
All particpants bring a single deck they own and compete in a Swiss bracket. Prior to the start of each match, both players look at the opponent's deck list. Then, both players secretly decide which deck they want to play. If both players choose different decks, they play a Best of 1 game using the deck they chose. If both players choose the same deck, they bid chains for the right to play that deck, starting with the decks owner at 0 chains. The winner of that bid uses the chosen deck, and begins the match with the number of chains they bid. The other player uses the other deck with no chains.

Quick Adaptive (Sealed)
All participants purchase a single, unopened deck of the newest Keyforge expansion and compete in a Swiss bracket. Prior to the start of each match, both players look at the opponent's deck list. Then, both players secretly decide which deck they want to play. If both players choose different decks, they play a Best of 1 game using the deck they chose. If both players choose the same deck, they bid chains for the right to play that deck, starting with the decks owner at 0 chains. The winner of that bid uses the chosen deck, and begins the match with the number of chains they bid. The other player uses the other deck with no chains.

Gauntlet (Archon)
All participants bring 3 decks they own. Each round, players are paired up randomly against an opponent they have not played yet that day. Both players secretly choose one of the decks they have brought, then play a match using that deck. The winner is the first player to win a single match using each of the 3 decks they brought. In the event that two players accomplish this at the same time, another round is played against those tied players.

Reversal (Archon)
All participants bring a single deck they own and compete in a Swiss bracket. Prior to the start of each match, players swap decks with their opponent for the round and attempt to win against the deck they brought. (Players return their opponent's deck at the end of the round)

Chain Auction (Sealed)
All participants purchase a single, unopened deck of the newest Keforge expansion and compete in a Swiss bracket. Prior to the start of the first match, all of the purchased decks are laid out on a table, and players are given a period of time to look at the decklist of each deck opened. After the time expires, decks will be put up for auction, order decided randomly. The bids begin with the player who opened the deck at 0 chains. The player who wins the auction for a given deck will use that deck in each match of the tournament, and begin each match with the number of chains they bid for that deck. All decks are returned to the player who opened them at the end of the event, regardless of who won the bid for them.

Triad (Best of 1) (Archon)
All participants bring 3 decks they own. Prior to the start of each round, players examine their opponents deck lists, and both choose one of their opponents decks to ban for the round. Each player then secretly chooses one of their two unbanned decks to use in that round.

I keep wanting to do a round where people bring (or open) 1 deck from both current sets. Then in a round they have to win once with both decks to win the round. (so a best of 3, but you can't use the same deck twice if it wins) I also think it would be really interesting to see the data from that on how the sets interact with each other.