FFG's AMA with Andrew Navaro

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I posted questions for D2e within the pre-thread for FFG's AMA with Andrew Navaro (6th post) ...

Here is a link:

Andrew Navaro's AMA

I suggest if you really are interested in hearing about FFG's future plans for D2e, we get as many forum users to post about this as possible ... and/or simply like my post ...

Edited by any2cards

Thank you for doing this to bring visibility.

In addition to liking your post, I quoted it and made an additional question about the state of the quest vault, my new favorite example of an initiative shooting itself in the foot.

Edited by Zaltyre

I do posted some questions too.

Yes thanks for that link

Hey Guys! I missed the live transmission!

What did he said?

5 minutes ago, topper30 said:

Hey Guys! I missed the live transmission!

What did he said?

Oh, never mind, It's the 30th of August.

I hope the will answer something substantial.

30 minutes ago, topper30 said:

Oh, never mind, It's the 30th of August.

I hope the will answer something substantial.

Don't forget to like the questions you want answered !
The more we 'support' the questions the more FFG can see what we expect from them ... and who knows : make them do new content for us if they judge that there is enought people who will buy .... 😉

On 8/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Felin said:

Don't forget to like the questions you want answered !
The more we 'support' the questions the more FFG can see what we expect from them ... and who knows : make them do new content for us if they judge that there is enought people who will buy .... 😉

I'm liking it, guys :)

I like everyone :)

Edited by kbalazsa

I hope the 70+"like" and the 10+"thanks" would be enough to lead any2cards question into the livestream and get an answer.

I posted it into a 1000+ member descent fan facebook group, to be honest, i waited more support from that community...

I also hoped more from the various Descent communities ...

But even like that I'm happy to see that Descent, up to now, is the game with the more 'supporters' !
SW realated games have less ! and even the second 'supported' game IA... it's a Descent like game ! 😉

So there is hope ....

Edited by Felin

The AMA's on the way, so I'm now wrestling with the 'get sleep and catch up with watching it later' or 'watch it now' (I'm very overdue for sleeps!) because it's fomo max- might have to watch it now :)

25 minutes ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

The AMA's on the way, so I'm now wrestling with the 'get sleep and catch up with watching it later' or 'watch it now' (I'm very overdue for sleeps!) because it's fomo max- might have to watch it now :)

Just like watching game of thrones in the morning hours to avoid spoilers!

1 minute ago, Straangeer said:

Just like watching game of thrones in the morning hours to avoid spoilers!

:) My hobbies and areas of interest have already expanded to overfill the time available- so luckily I didn't get into GOT, lucky purely for the fact one more big interest would probably tip my spare time over the edge. Terrinoth is my obsession, which I'm sure nobody here's noticed *smiles*

So, the axe fall down : there will be no more expansions for Descent V2. Let us all cry over once, lament a bit, and do our own stuff now. Descent is dead, hail to descent

So, let us convert the "last" 12 missing heroes ourselves. Ready guys ?

Edited by rugal

Andrew's answers:

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e? No

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)? No

Will there be a D3e? He was very excited about Descent/Terrinoth related project that is in development, and stated that it is the most ambitious project they have ever taken on.

Why is the D2e Quest Vault and its various issues, bugs, etc. completely ignored? It started as BETA about 5+ years ago, and continues in that state today. There would be far more community development for the game if the software simply worked. There is already an extensive bug report thread for the vault, so all it takes is someone at FFG to pay attention. If you don't want to maintain it anymore, would you be willing to provide access to the code, so that the community could host it and maintain it? This question was not addressed.

Edited by any2cards

They do an aggressive filtering on questions (even in the chat)...

I think Andrew's answered most of the questions very candidly as far as he's able to (some things relating to other IP's he couldn't say for obvious reasons) and the logic on expansions had a lot of wisdom (e.g. how too much content can be a barrier to the game for new players and stockists alike), it puts things in perspective too in a comical way seeing how every game has it's 'will there be more stuff'/'will there be a version x', we're all hooked on our fave games :)

But also what he's just said about they can't do all the great ideas they get (something I'm finding myself- having to think what fan things I most want to do!)

No plans for a new Runewars currently if I caught that right (the original I presume)

11 minutes ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

I think Andrew's answered most of the questions very candidly as far as he's able to (some things relating to other IP's he couldn't say for obvious reasons) and the logic on expansions had a lot of wisdom (e.g. how too much content can be a barrier to the game for new players and stockists alike), it puts things in perspective too in a comical way seeing how every game has it's 'will there be more stuff'/'will there be a version x', we're all hooked on our fave games :)

But also what he's just said about they can't do all the great ideas they get (something I'm finding myself- having to think what fan things I most want to do!)

No plans for a new Runewars currently if I caught that right (the original I presume)

In connection with the balancing issues if the wont produce more physical content they should work on that a little bit...to get a smooth finished game after all.

I'm interested in this Descent-ish project. If it isn't 3rd edition I'm ok with that, since 2nd is still super massive and has a ton of content. I'm wondering if it's an app-hybrid king of thing? He said it was specificaly Descent related and not just Terrinoth, so I don't think it's just a single box game like Runewars or Battlelore.

Should be interesting, I just hope we don't have to wait too long. 2020 Gen Con announcement? Ooof :)

47 minutes ago, any2cards said:

Andrew's answers:

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e? No

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)? No

Will there be a D3e? He was very excited about Descent/Terrinoth related project that is in development, and stated that it is the most ambitious project they have ever taken on.

Why is the D2e Quest Vault and its various issues, bugs, etc. completely ignored? It started as BETA about 5+ years ago, and continues in that state today. There would be far more community development for the game if the software simply worked. There is already an extensive bug report thread for the vault, so all it takes is someone at FFG to pay attention. If you don't want to maintain it anymore, would you be willing to provide access to the code, so that the community could host it and maintain it? This question was not addressed (as of yet)

I did ask the Quest Vault question again in the live Twitch session. We shall see if it gets addressed.

So some thoughts: not 'completing' 2e with the missing heroes might seem a bad call likewise no new physical content (especially with the Lost Legends cover choice showing a new(ish) character- although maybe that's a 'what's coming next' rather than a D2e easter egg which I was wondering if it was, or it was an image chosen linked to something that got cancelled but they stuck with the image- it's an update with new artwork of some unused artwork we saw in the app ages ago for a then new but never-since-used character Shadar Runearmor) but it actually makes sense when something new Descent/Terrinoth related is in the pipeline. Or those mysterious unknown places underneath Nerekhall.

Why would you put new stuff out when you're already working on the next evolution of that line? So it does make sense to put the full stop on second edition, but I don't think it's killing off 2e from what he said (I'll come back to that).

His words on the third edition question (I can't check yet as it's not been uploaded yet post-live broadcast, it will be at some point) were along the lines of " not neccesarily [suggesting no, or at least that it's not simply a Descent third edition but something related to both Descent and Terrinoth], we are working on something Descent related [which on further questioning he clarified as also more generally Terrinoth related again suggesting it's not quite D3e per se] that I'm incredibly excited about, easily one of the [or the - need to clarify once recorded vid's up] most ambitious things we've done. "

On the question 'are you straying away from the world' : "no not at all"

He also commented on how 'Realms of Terrinoth' for Genesys RPG was the start of fleshing stuff out in ways they'd not done before and that they will be going even deeper.... which definitely sounds like good news for fans, maybe they are looking to use their own IP with Terrinoth/Mennara as much as they use other entities' IPs after all.

I think these answers generally are great news for fans, I'd have liked the missing heroes and a couple of wrap up things for 2e but like I say the lack of these does make sense with what's obviously on the horizon- I think it just became too late in D2e's lifecycle to implement these, we're seven years into 2e now and it's possible they'd not be a huge commercial success so late in the day, I think us fans will be able to wrap up D2e and fill these gaps anyway should we wish to do so. They have of course completed the class gaps with Lost Legends so there's less void for fans to fill in to 'complete' 2e.

I think we have to accept that at best the Quest Vault question is answered by the other answers and thus it will stay as is and won't get the missing tiles added or any updates, what happens next will depend on the new game and there may of course be nothing like this planned for the new game. Maybe we could ask FFG about (long shot) at least a basic fix and the missing tiles now D2e's wrapped up, but it might be wishful thinking. Would be nice if we could sort some kind of solution to this with FFG as it would be nice to keep it around as a part of the D2e legacy for those of us still active in creating 2e adventures. But I feel realistically this is probably unlikely now the focus is on the new game project.

Back to the positives though - What I also think will be good is the hint that it's Descent related but not (perhaps) 'third edition Descent'- I think it will be something new in some way where we can maybe treat D2e and the new 'thing' as different games in the same realm thus carry on enjoying 2e rather than the hassle and issues of moving over to a new edition of Descent as it is- between us we can wrap up and iron out 2e to something that's a finished and complete line (but with some new fanmade adventures and maps and so on) and not have to ditch it for the new thing as I very much think the hints point at the new thing taking the game in an at least slightly new direction, I don't think it will be a port to a new edition like with first edition to second edition. But then I was convinced LL hinted at new stuff for 2e so I could be so very wrong.... :) If I'm right though it's actually awesome as it won't actually render second edition a dead game (eventually of course it may have had its time and stop selling or FFG will possibly eventually just make the new game but initially I think they'll co exist for a bit even if 2e gets gradually harder to find). Rather it will give us another Terrinoth game to enjoy that is the next evolution of the line without pushing D2e off the gaming table, at least for us fans.

The biggest question is how to quash the overwhelming anticipation that's going to keep building until THAT announcement finally drops! With all the fan projects and the new RPG shared content initiative (Genesys Foundry) it could be a good few years for the game world and our enjoyment of it growing though so there will be anything but a Mennara/Terrinoth drought. Even my own fan stuff I'm working on is probably the most ambitious work I've undertaken- it's taking time because its a lot from new world maps to new tiles to things using some of the range of minis from the various games (including RWM as long as I can still get the parts I'm after for my own game sessions!) So for the completionists who wanted more terrain (including desert and ice tiles) for D2e, these and other fan projects are on my own radar, and other content creators are doing similarly awesome things. Although the jobs at the flat are still slowing things down for me while I have to focus on these first I'll pick up again once things are sorted on that front. Then there's other peoples adventures I want to play with my game circles (both in Genesys RPG and Descent) so for people saying Terrinoth is history it's actually the opposite, it's never had more to offer and lots is landing now or on the way. Fans are really jumping into creating for it (ironically fueled in part by some of the less great news such as RWM being closed off as 'complete' and Battlelore being dropped) and FFG are creating new lines for it, so it's evolving and growing much more than it's dying out or being killed off. As many have said a game you own can still be played regardless of whether it's still selling millions of units or has been rather or completely retired.

Overall I think this is positive news (so not something for fans to see as a negative or be annoyed about) and that we won't be disappointed when the new game is revealed (older question and answers suggest it's been worked on for some time already, possibly a reason some of the Terrinoth lines went quiet of late- it could still have some kind of overlap with gameplay styles - it wouldn't be impossible for them to have designed a game that plays as different types of game in the same kind of way we got some variants with D2e (solo app/ co op/ competitive) and how Journeys in Middle Earth is slightly evolved gameplay wise (maps that function in different ways for example), there could be some sort of innovation(s) of this type in the game. I'm excited for it already (the hype train's smashed through the buffers mostly on the strength of my hope for what the news means!)

Maybe I can even forgive FFG's SW obsession as Andrew seems to be a big fan and as a gamer I like Andrew's mindset on the games a lot so I have to try to remember not to knock FFG so much for all the SW stuff :) Not easy but I'll try!

My OCD is still twitching (no pun intended) 4 hours after the live AMA. I want my effing 12 heroes converted from D1e to D2e. I need a COMPLETE set. Arggghhhh ...

Ahhh ... first world problems ...

That's probably the best we were gonna get. I wish he answered if the app was gonna get more content, because I think physical content was a pipe dream. For the new game, I'm expecting a Journeys in Terrinoth game. Possibly a game like Descent (fully co-op) with a bigger over-arching map and much bigger character progression. Probably the ability to continue characters through multiple campaigns. The whole "most ambitious" thing is making me think big (obviously). So in my mind, i'm just taking Runebound and Descent and smashing it together.

As serious as he was when asked if there was gonna be new Descent physical content, he was just as stalwart in defending that Terrinoth is in no way over with. I think this was all good news for people who had realistic expectations.

7 hours ago, any2cards said:

My OCD is still twitching (no pun intended) 4 hours after the live AMA. I want my effing 12 heroes converted from D1e to D2e. I need a COMPLETE set. Arggghhhh ...

Ahhh ... first world problems ...

With hero forge we can do it ourselves. Not as great as official stuff but better than nothing ?

I'm looking forward to have the 12 created by you guys.

1 hour ago, kbalazsa said:

I'm looking forward to have the 12 created by you guys.

Me too.

But I also would like a joint effort when the descent rule masters put their heads toghether and just like as the CRRG create a rebalance for monsters hero skills overlord card etc...

I hope for that even more than the missing 12 heroes.