Undo Button?

By SpiderMana, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Am I the only one who would find an undo button of some sort extremely useful?

I’m not talking like “oh I don’t like how that action turned out, I want a redo.” Rather, in at several cases I’ve clicked an option by accident. Sure, the most important times this might happen have a safety “are you sure” built in, but it’s still annoying to alter the gamestate however slightly because you clicked on a dialogue option instead of canceling out, because you were just trying to remember what the search token was, and you’re not even in that space yet.

Particularly, I just lost my first campaign to make it to the last mission. I’ve been playing three heroes, by myself, and I got a little stubborn with attacking Uluk. A decent attack would have killed him, but I had no knowledge of my topdeck and little inspiration. He killed Aragorn and I failed the death save. Before this turn, Aragorn had taken a single fear.

And sure, that sucks. Oh well. But when I went to take Beravor’s final turn after Aragorn died, I realized I’d forgotten a card she had prepared. She could have easily killed Uluk instead. If I hadn’t been playing three heroes by myself, late at night because I was too excited to wait, I never would have lost to that moment.

And now, I have to start over. I have nothing to show for the hours I put into that save file.

Maybe I’m more upset than I should be, but I don’t think I’m the only one who could see the value in allowing a mission restart, or integrating auto-saves that you could revert to upon an accidental button click. And I get that the designers maybe don’t want people to be able to cheat, but if somebody honestly wanted to cheat like that... who cares? The only people it would possibly affect are them.

Edited by SpiderMana
Typo

I've thought this myself. I accidentally clicked the wrong thing and kind of messed up the round. It wasn't a major thing fortunately, but it did make me wonder why there wasn't an Undo button. I suppose it's to keep people honest and from using it as a mulligan. Still.

6 hours ago, Vince79 said:

I suppose it's to keep people honest and from using it as a mulligan.

Right, but again... why does that matter? It’s not like there’s any degree of competition involved that needs to be kept fair.

I think the normal difficulty mode should give you a possibility to replay a mission after failing (or at least, just the missions that end the campaign) and the hard should be as it is right now.

37 minutes ago, Dentifrice said:

I think the normal difficulty mode should give you a possibility to replay a mission after failing (or at least, just the missions that end the campaign) and the hard should be as it is right now.

Sure, that sounds fair. Like the Hero mode in a the Arkham video games where you have to completely restart if you die. That’s cool for those players but not what I’m interested in.

Edited by SpiderMana
42 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Sure, that sounds fair. Like the Hero mode in a the Arkham video games where you have to completely restart if you die. That’s cool for those players but not what I’m interested in.

exactly.

I play games for the story, gameplay, the atmosphere. Not the difficulty level.

An undo button has been requested by numerous people for the mansions and imperial assault apps(and I’m sure descent as well) since those products first came out. I don’t understand why it wasn’t baked into this game. It’s not like they didn’t know this is one of the most requested features across most if not all of their app assisted games. It truly is baffling.

@pixcalcis any chance it’s actually been integrated into those apps, at least?

I understand that FFG doesn’t produce their apps in house, and for a game like JiME an undo feature could be understandably difficult to implement. It already doesn’t track such a large portion of the game state...

For that matter, being able to save a mission halfway through and prompting the app to ask you where the heroes/enemies are would seem plenty useful and not that difficult.

I dunno, just spitballing at this point 🤷‍♂️

The game doesnt know or care where anyone is, heroes and enemies, after they get placed.

An undo button is doable, but I doubt it will be put in as the feature is not likely to have people second guess buying the game if it's not available.

I have had experiences where the wrong thing occured, selecting the wrong choice on the small screen, killing the wrong enemy, hitting done when someone didn't speak up they hadn't gone yet. So, I've immediately closed the game from outside the app. I've had it two turns behind when I reopen the game. Every enemy phase is pretty much an auto save.

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

@pixcalcis any chance it’s actually been integrated into those apps, at least?

No, it never has been implemented in them. As Thaeggan mentioned above, there is liberal use of auto saving ( in the other products as well I believe) so that is essentially our ‘undo’ button.

Edited by pixcalcis

I absolutely agree, a few times I click on something by accident, e.g. Can the enemy attack? whatever you click, there is no going back... if you accidently click yes, you can just ignore the result, but if it should be yes and you clicked no, no way to know how much damage you would have gotten.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:24 AM, Borsook said:

I absolutely agree, a few times I click on something by accident, e.g. Can the enemy attack? whatever you click, there is no going back... if you accidently click yes, you can just ignore the result, but if it should be yes and you clicked no, no way to know how much damage you would have gotten.

An undo would be good for this too, but just a tip: you can send through a zero-damage attack to get an enemy to attack you (although I guess this doesn’t work against non-elite enemies, as they can’t continue to counter).

Another example from last night, while minor: I selected a tier 3 bow for legolas to upgrade to, then looked at the options to upgrade his cloak. Upon seeing that his cloak could upgrade to a 2 hit + pierce attack option, I realized that I didn’t want the bow with pierce, after all. I wanted the one with lethal. And I was upgrading these at the same time, not one and then the other.

Easy enough to just use the other card, but it’s mildly annoying that I input it incorrectly and can’t change it now.