Hero + Item Combo

By Bjohr, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello fellow basement lurkers!

Me and my group just finished out first quest in Descent: JitD(With me as OL).

And I have a question about a Hero and item combination.

Sir valadir + Word of Vaal + Precision + Inner Fire

Does the Inner Fire stack with Word of Vaal? If so, his "auto" hit range will be 5 instead of 3?

He got precision so he can ignore 1 figure or obstacle, does that meen the Word of vaal works around a cave corner?

the reason I'm asking this is because he wiped half of the dungeon away, without breaking a sweat. I even tried Dark Charm twice, but the lucky bastard rolled 2 blanks!

Luckily, their equip will reset for the next quest. but it's quite sad for the RP feelin'. They demand a good reason for it too xoxo

best regards

bjohr

Word of Vaal's attack functions similarly to a Breath template attack, ignoring line of sight and obstacles. As written (unlike Breath) it can also go through closed doors. As such, it doesn't need any Precision. Likewise, Inner Fire doesn't affect it either (beyond +1 damage).

Word of Vaal does not go through closed doors, as it is an attack, all of which are blocked by closed doors. See current version of the FAQ.

You are absolutely correct. My mistake.

To further clarify, the range of an attack doesn't change what spaces are affected by the attack, for the Word of Vaal or for any other weapon; you just need enough range to hit the target square or the attack misses. The Word of Vaal specifically ignores range , so getting +2 range from Inner Fire produces no benefit (though +1 damage still matters). Range that you roll on the attack dice doesn't increase the affected radius, either.

Precision produces no benefit either, because the Word of Vaal doesn't require line-of-sight. At least, probably not; that was my initial read of the card, and there's an answer in the last FAQ that could also be read that way, but neither is completely explicit.

And there's no reason you need Sir Valadir to wield the weapon; in fact, any hero with 3 magic trait dice is strictly better off, since they'll roll an equal or greater number of black dice for any given fatigue expenditure.

The Word of Vaal is often considered the best treasure card in the game. Some people on the forum have stated that they removed it from their deck because they believe it's too powerful.

Antistone said:

To further clarify, the range of an attack doesn't change what spaces are affected by the attack, for the Word of Vaal or for any other weapon; you just need enough range to hit the target square or the attack misses. The Word of Vaal specifically ignores range , so getting +2 range from Inner Fire produces no benefit (though +1 damage still matters). Range that you roll on the attack dice doesn't increase the affected radius, either.

Precision produces no benefit either, because the Word of Vaal doesn't require line-of-sight. At least, probably not; that was my initial read of the card, and there's an answer in the last FAQ that could also be read that way, but neither is completely explicit.

And there's no reason you need Sir Valadir to wield the weapon; in fact, any hero with 3 magic trait dice is strictly better off, since they'll roll an equal or greater number of black dice for any given fatigue expenditure.

The Word of Vaal is often considered the best treasure card in the game. Some people on the forum have stated that they removed it from their deck because they believe it's too powerful.

I see, for the last statement about removing it from the deck, I agree.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification on all the questions. I shall now print the F.A.Qs to complete the rules for future OL's.

P.S Sir Valadir just happend to be his hero .... this time MOAHAHAHA

best regards and thanks again

bjohr