Clearanced!?!

By Bucho, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

My local game store is getting rid of it's Imperial Assault inventory. That's been a bad sign for previous games....

The thing that I have always thought about IA stock on shelves is that you rarely, as an IA player, impulse buy.

With X-Wing, and possibly Legion & Armada, it is not uncommon to want / need multiple copies of the same expansion. With IA, the only figure expansion I could imagine anyone wanting to pick up more than 1 of is the Captain Terro pack, or the Bantha, if they want to run double Dewbacks or obviously double Bantha. Having said that, I now accept that the Jawa swarm is proving to be effective.

To the vast majority of us, I would expect a single purchase or any item on the portfolio, and then you're done, not needing to consider another. This would result in the majority of stores sitting with stock on shelves unless it was ordered in specifically on demand.

Perhaps the lack of repeat purchases is one of the reasons we don't see IA getting pushed.

Well I have to say I haven't gone all in on imperial assault the way I did descent. In descent it made sense to get a lot of things to give my monster groups more diversity in all my campaigns. In imperial assault the imperial groups tend to be so specific to that expansion that there's no point in buying ahead. And as just a campaign player I definitely haven't bought figure expansions. So I guess people like me make the space they devoted to giving each figure a spot are less than lucrative. But I'm kind of worried that skirmish players moved to legion and that's killed the game.

5 minutes ago, Bucho said:

Well I have to say I haven't gone all in on imperial assault the way I did descent. In descent it made sense to get a lot of things to give my monster groups more diversity in all my campaigns. In imperial assault the imperial groups tend to be so specific to that expansion that there's no point in buying ahead. And as just a campaign player I definitely haven't bought figure expansions. So I guess people like me make the space they devoted to giving each figure a spot are less than lucrative. But I'm kind of worried that skirmish players moved to legion and that's killed the game.

I wouldn't say that skirmish players moved to Legion so much as FFG moved to Legion. You can't really have a vibrant skirmish game if nothing changes, and FFG has already announced that they're not working on any new plastic. Even if they do miraculously release a Yoda expansion or something a year down the road, it's way too late to save skirmish where the player base has already taken a huge hit. Between the lack of new content and them leaving Spectre Cell dominant for so long, unfortunately the damage to the skirmish side has already been done.

Players didn't kill IA Skirmish. FFG did.

With lack of support, lack of communication and a toxic meta.

This is more just typical business. ^^; No new products have come out for a number of months, so of course space will be cleared for the new hotness.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, thinkbomb said:

This is more just typical business. ^^; No new products have come out for a number of months, so of course space will be cleared for the new hotness.

I wouldn't say they're typical. While 3 other local game stores collapsed they have doubled in size. They have previously had a ton of space set aside for every single thing descent and imperial assault. For them to be clearancing all of it has to mean that at least in my neck of the woods it just isn't selling.

New games sell better than old ones. There is probably some newer star wars miniature game out there selling much better. Most stores have to clear out the shelf space for the better selling games otherwise they collapse.

We all knew IA was going on the back burner as soon as Legion was announced. They do seem to want to keep reprinting what has already been developed and put out more digital content to encourage sells of the existing product. Same thing they did with descent.

IA isn't dead but its time in the sun is over.