Stand for priming squadrons

By Gorsk, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to hold multiple squadrons for priming via airbrush? For humanoid minis, I generally hot glue a foot to a wine cork. But I need a new method to hold the fighters. Maybe the squadron flight stands themselves? I might paint the stands dark grey anyway.

Paint Tubes.

Plasticard Tubing. Drill Holes.

96TJHV9.jpg

Thanks for the photo.

I have them in multiple diameters for different squads - thicker ones are fine for Rebels and r abd vs... the thinner tube is thin enough that tie wings can hang over without touching or scraping letting me paint internal surfaces

I've found plastic Q-Tips before that have a hollow plastic tube. When cut, you can stick a squadron's peg into the tube. Then you can stick a bunch of those tubes into something and spray the squadrons. While Dras' mehod above is nice, there isn't a ton of clearance between the squadrons and the tubing they are stuck in, which I could imagine might make it harder to spray the inside wings or undersides of the fighters.

When they are elevated up on two inches of Q-tip tube, it is very easy to spray all angles.

36 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I've found plastic Q-Tips before that have a hollow plastic tube. When cut, you can stick a squadron's peg into the tube. Then you can stick a bunch of those tubes into something and spray the squadrons. While Dras' mehod above is nice, there isn't a ton of clearance between the squadrons and the tubing they are stuck in, which I could imagine might make it harder to spray the inside wings or undersides of the fighters.

When they are elevated up on two inches of Q-tip tube, it is very easy to spray all angles.

I wish I could get those here.

Q-Tips around here, regardless of brand, are all wrapped-paper sticks rather than the old hollow plastic.

But there's enough clearance - that's what the thinner tubes are for :) I only spray-prime after all, anyway/

6 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Team Q-Tip! (and Sponge)

IBgMNVS.jpg?1

19 hours ago, TheWampa said:

Team Q-Tip! (and Sponge)

IBgMNVS.jpg?1

Huh. There's something appealing about the white Lancers. Time to buy another squadron pack...

5 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Huh. There's something appealing about the white Lancers. Time to buy another squadron pack...

The Lancers are still WIP, thats just my weird rebel starfighter workflow of black priming, followed by a heavy "semi-wet" ivory white drybrush. YTs, xwings and ywings then get a dilluted wash of Armypainter light tone or another brownish wash for that light tan rebel hull color. Then I usually add all the detailing, plus some highlights and darker shadows.

I should finally take some photos, I guess...