old question, from new player... Toturi and Hotaru...

By Avatar111, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

their ability is quite confusing to the uninitiated.

basically, when they attack you can resolve the ring TWICE?
and on defense you "could" resolve the ring but would be beneficial to the attacker ? (so no point in using this ability on defense).

thx for an answer. I'm sure this was answered many time but couldn't find the official answer to this classic unclear rule.

Yes. It is as you say

5 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

their ability is quite confusing to the uninitiated.

basically, when they attack you can resolve the ring TWICE?
and on defense you "could" resolve the ring but would be beneficial to the attacker ? (so no point in using this ability on defense).

thx for an answer. I'm sure this was answered many time but couldn't find the official answer to this classic unclear rule.

Its a little weird but its because of the way that the wording on resolving the effects of a claimed ring are worded in that they all reference the attacker choosing and unlike Display of Power which specifies that the Defender resolves the ring as if they were the attacker, they don't have the text to provide that override so you could elect to resolve the ring as the defender if you won, it wouldn't be of benefit to do so as your opponent would pick targets (and yes if their are no valid targets on your side of the board but valid ones on theirs they can elect to not target anyone as all the rings are may effects)

28 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Its a little weird but its because of the way that the wording on resolving the effects of a claimed ring are worded in that they all reference the attacker choosing and unlike Display of Power which specifies that the Defender resolves the ring as if they were the attacker, they don't have the text to provide that override so you could elect to resolve the ring as the defender if you won, it wouldn't be of benefit to do so as your opponent would pick targets (and yes if their are no valid targets on your side of the board but valid ones on theirs they can elect to not target anyone as all the rings are may effects)

Rule as written you guys all make sense.

But rule as intended seems a bit, weird.

No biggie though, just weirdly written.

I think that wasnt the intention in design but once printed they went with raw rather than rai for claritys sake. Thats my theory at least.

@Avatar111
Conflict Resolution has a defined, and rigid, set of steps to follow.

https://fiveringsdb.com/rules/reference#3-conflict-phase

Of note, for your question.

3.2.6. Resolve ring effects
3.2.7. Claim ring

So, as mentioned above, you would resolve the ring effect twice: once at step 3.2.6, and a second time when Toturi/Hotaru react after step 3.2.7

Edited by Bayushi Shunsuke