Terror of the Mists questions

By yuyutsu, in BattleLore Scenario Builder Technical Support and Feedback Forum

I just started playing the "Terror of the mists" expansion and have a few questions:

1) The "Dire Influence" lore card mentions elite units, but no unit in this pack
has that trait.   Is there an elite unit, or why else was it mentioned?

2) the Drain and Cursed unit abilities: I presume that the lores are received
earlier, during the "Commit Dice" stage (4), rather than at the "Gain Lore"
stage (9), thus the attacker can for example draw the "Raise Dead" lore when
the target is eliminated even if they previously had only 2 lores to pay.  Right?

3) Morbid Grasp: it says "choose 2 enemy units", rather than the usual
"up to 2 enemy units", so I presume that this lore cannot be used if the enemy
has only one unit left?   Also, I presume that it does not prevent movement
after the move step, for example due to the Onslaught command card?

4) Swamp of Corruption: does the reroll of lore results occur before of after the effect of "Wall of Steel"?

5) Dark Ritual: if during the VP step I eliminate a minion unit by removing its last figure, can I then revive

that unit in a graveyard? Can I use Desecrate at that point? Can I damage a Banshee (because it says:

"You may remove 1 figure from the chosen unit") or must I remove the Banshee altogether to gain the VP?

6) The River of Fate: "During Setup" - should the banner marker be placed before or after placing fords, mustering armies and choosing cards?

Thank you in advance!

Wow! I only just saw this now. Sorry for the late reply! (By the way, this subforum is for the app version of the game.)

1) The Elite unit for the Undead faction is the Wraiths unit which comes in the Heralds of Dreadfall expansion.

2) The rules reference clarifies this. "If the player commits dice to cause damage, cause retreats, or gain lore, he resolves those effects during the steps below." It seems that the target will be eliminated before you have the lore necessary to play Raise Dead.

3) My opinion is that this was missed in development and that the intent is that you choose up to 2 enemy units. Rules as written, however, you are correct: you cannot play this card if your opponent has only one unit remaining. For the second part of your question, this card would prevent movement from Onslaught because the additional movement still occurs during the move step. It would not prevent a Roc Warrior from moving with the Mobility ability which happens after the Attack Step.

4) The steps of combat are 1. Declare Target, 2. Perform Combat Roll, and 3. Reroll and Change Die Results. Wall of Steel is a Lore card whose timing is dictated on the card; it does not follow the standard combat steps. Wall of Steel says "Play after a combat roll is performed against a friendly unit." This means it must be played after step 2 of combat, but before step 3. Therefore, Wall of Steel will happen first, and then the reroll from Swamp of Corruption occurs.

5) Yes, you can revive a minion who is eliminated from Dark Ritual by using a graveyard hex. I see no reason why you could not play Desecrate. (Note that Desecrate uses the word "after" and the graveyard rules use the word "when." I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems to me that the graveyard would happen first, followed by Desecrate, so I don't think you could use Desecrate to gain lore, then use that lore to pay for the graveyard revival.) If you choose the Banshee for your dark ritual, the entire unit would be removed because it only has one figure. The damage token over the health of the legend units means that they take damage tokens instead of removing figures when suffering damage. Dark Ritual does not cause the unit to suffer damage; it simply removes a figure.

6) On page 15 of the rule book, it says the steps to resolving scenario cards are 1. Read Scenario Card Text, 2. Determine First Player, 3. Place Terrain Tiles and Banner Markers, 4. Place Fords. Since the faction banner marker is still a banner marker, I'd say you place it in step 3, before the ford tokens.