Cloaked units vs detectors

By guest482406, in StarCraft

Hello

This is my theorethical review of the Brood War expansion - precisely one aspect of it.

In BW we can have two permanently cloaked units - dark and lurker (quick to build)

What about EASY detectors for the all three races?

Terran - Scan Sweep tech and Science Vessel

Protos - Detector tech and thats all

Zerg - ???

This is just me or really Zerg factions are EASY detectors free and when BW comes into play that can be a really big problem for them?

Zerg have Queens. Besides, cloaking is overrated in my understanding. There are many situations where they can't withdraw, and since they can't retreat, they die either way. It just can be annoying to fight the same unit again if it withdraws, but you win the battle nonetheless.

OK, Queens with technology but no detecting technology like Scan Sweep or Observers.

In my opinion its really strange that race with the easiet and quickest to build observers in the computer game here in board game has a huge problem with such units.

Aba said:

OK, Queens with technology but no detecting technology like Scan Sweep or Observers.

Hm, actually scan sweep and observers are techs that are fairly easy to research...

Yes, but his point is that the Zerg don't have 'em.

Besides, these techs produce permanent costs. Queens do not, you research it once and that's it. Scanner sweep has to be researched over and over, not exactly what I would call cheap and easy.

Yes, but you can use Scan Sweep or Observers tech card anywhere in the galaxy but Queens only have their detector capability in the skirmish where they are present.

Yes, but how often do the other players use cloaked units? You should be able to get the Queens where they are needed most of the time.

Maybe so but it is still very strange for me that we have a situation with one race without detectors from technology deck usefull in hole galaxy.

Aba said:

Maybe so but it is still very strange for me that we have a situation with one race without detectors from technology deck usefull in hole galaxy.

It's a bit strange, but the sides are different. Zerg has also the worst Strategy Deck, containing most of the units only three times, while Terrans and Protos have most units on 4 different cards.

@all

There also two other detecters:

Protos: High Templer with Psionic Storm

and

Zerg: Sarah Kerrigan also with Psionic Storm (and Cloaking)

I forgot another detector:

Zerg: Defiler using Plague

But still - all Zerg detectors are from units technology cards and Protoss/Terran Play Area Tech Cards (Scan and Detectors) are much more flexibility.

For example Terran can Swep area with only Tanks on it and Zerg can't do it something like that in area with only Ultralisk on it.

First, I do apologize for my poor english, I'm sorry, I'm french and not so good at school.

In the video game, all of zerg transport units (overlords) have the detector technologie for free.

with friends we will try our own rules :

- if zerg units that are attacking come from another planet (with transport), they will gain detector technologie for all skirmish.

- if a zerg base is attacked and the owner of the base has a transport unit on the planet, all the unit in defense gain the detector technologie.

Perhaps it's too much powerfull, we will see next time...

If someone of yours try these rules tell me what about them

Without having playtested that one: I think it is too powerful. It's very common to attack from another planet, so you would have detectors for naught in each battle. If you do that, I would recommend that you operate it like the offensive module: if you want your overlords to serve as detector, they are destroyed after that. You have to assign one overlord for every skirmish in which you want to have a detector. Since you can build multiple transporters on the same axis, you should have some possibilities for that.

Wait a minute!

It is true in the PC game is the Overlords detector, but nowhere in the manual says that they have. Moreover, they only make a bridge between planets and are not earmarked for any specific area, so it can not participate in a battle. And if I am not mistaken, only one can have a transit route navigation (either) Page 21.

It is also true that the Zerg have that shortcoming, but to use the detectors of the other two races require a great investment!

We know that the rules don't give the overlords detector ;) We discuss just how this could be made possible if someone wished it so (which I don't, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless).

Page 21 confirmes: only one transport per player per navigational root. But this should not be an obstacle. I'd like the idea of sacrificing the overlord to have detector ability. It than would have the same disadvantage as when used for the offensive module. Also I would make it a "at the start of the battle" action, like the options from the other factions, which would also mean that you can not use another "at the start of the battle" option when using overlords as detectors. Perhaps you could also restrict that option, so that you would need a specific module.

Anyway, playtesting is needed and wellcome!

Attacked zerg bases get detector even in the basic game, when they have the anti-air module.

I like the idea of sacrificing one of my transports to get the ability to detect!

Certainly the Zerg cards have 3 with the ability to detect: ENSNARE (Queen), PARASITE (Queen) AND PLAGE (Defiler).

These cards are permanent once learned, not only that, they have very good skills! Its only flaw is the fact that they occupy a Assit unit.

On the other hand, have Terran 2 cards: SCANNER SWEEP (Any) and SPIDER MINES (Vulture). The first is used and must be purchased again. Still, the Science Vessel have not detector.

The Protoss have: OBSERVERS (Any) and Psionic Storm (High Templar). The first is similar to SCANNER SWEEP but not returned.

Now, who has the advantage?

Don't forget Spawn Broodling: It only affects a single skirmish (makes it possible to target a certain unit), and works vs organic ground units - even if they're cloaked. So a Queen provides counter measures vs cloaking, no matter what you research - at least vs Dark Templars, Lurkers and Ghosts.

Furthermore, Zerg can produce lots of units, so it's easier for them to prevent the opponent from withdrawing.

Edit: Huh - I just read somewhere else that Dark templars aren't affected by Spawn Broodling?