Incapacitated/Heal/Medicine/Magic

By Gudmo, in Rules Questions

Good day

After searching far and wide through the books my next thought was to ask here so I hope the questions make sense.

Do you automatically wake up after you recover from exceeding wounds and/or strain thresholds ?

If not what skill/action is required to wake up ?

If you wake up automatically when you recover from excceding your wound/strain threshold by going to the positive side that is the purpose of the "Revive Incapacitated" action in the Heal magic. If the PC is still in negative wound/strain and a healer would cast this option on his, wouldn't he just go right back to incapacitated?

My assumption is that once you are back to positive wound/strain thresholds you are no longer incapacitated. By my confusion starts when I read the Magic Heal and the revivive incapacitated option there and why you would need it if you can just use regular heal and bring the PC back to positive wounds?

best regards

Confused GM Gudmo

22 minutes ago, Gudmo said:

Do you automatically wake up after you recover from exceeding wounds and/or strain thresholds ?

CRB112 (bold added for emphasis): " When a PC suffers wounds greater than their wound threshold, they are knocked out and incapacitated until their wounds are reduced so that they no longer exceed their wound threshold (likely through healing). "

CRB113 (again, bold for emphasis): " When a character has suffered strain greater than their strain threshold, they become incapacitated until their strain is reduced so that it no longer exceeds their strain threshold. "

So as soon as your wounds or strain are reduced to at or below threshold, they wake up.

23 minutes ago, Gudmo said:

If you wake up automatically when you recover from excceding your wound/strain threshold by going to the positive side that is the purpose of the "Revive Incapacitated" action in the Heal magic. If the PC is still in negative wound/strain and a healer would cast this option on his, wouldn't he just go right back to incapacitated?

CRB217, heal spell: " When making the check, the character selects one target they are engaged with who is not incapacitated. "

Without the revive incapacitated effect, healers cannot target incapacitated targets. All that effect does is allow you to target those who have exceeded WT and/or ST. If the spell doesn't bring them at or below their thresholds, then you'll need to do it again—and use the revive incapacitated effect again.

26 minutes ago, Gudmo said:

My assumption is that once you are back to positive wound/strain thresholds you are no longer incapacitated. By my confusion starts when I read the Magic Heal and the revivive incapacitated option there and why you would need it if you can just use regular heal and bring the PC back to positive wounds?

You are correct that as long as a character doesn't exceed either threshold they are no longer incapacitated. Your confusion lies in the specific way the heal spell works. The restriction that the target not be incapacitated is unique to the heal spell and not indicative of healing damage as a whole.

Thank you, sometimes it's hard to notice the details in the wording.