What color is the Executor from Empire Strikes Back?

By RunJerZeeNets, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Is there a consensus on the color, aside from red engine glow?

I painted the 2 SSD from Star Wars Rebellion with Citadel The Fang base coat, a heavy Citadel Nuln Oil wash on the city scape, lighter wash on the flats, the did the flats in Citadel Russ Gray layer. They came out pretty nice.

I want to paint up my Armada SSD to look like the Executor. Is it blue-gray or gray? I’m thinking of using a gray or black prime, followed by The Fang, which should give a darker tone, Nuln Oil wash, and Russ Gray layer. Alternatively, I could do a white prime and Mechanicus Standard Gray base as I think the base may be too dark, wash with Nuln Oil, then layer on Dawnstone to the flat sections.

Either strategy would be finished with either a Imrik Blue or Longbeard Gray dry brush to pick up windows on the city scape.

Edited by RunJerZeeNets
1 hour ago, RunJerZeeNets said:

I want to paint up my Armada SSD to look like the Executor. Is it blue-gray or gray?

I was under the impression that the reason the TIEs (and the Executor) were bluish in TESB was special effects - with the actual models being grey but given a blue tint in post-production.

So it is gray...

I think I’ll paint the engines:

1.) Base coat with Citadel Mephiston Red base

2.) Light wash with Citadel Casandora Yellow shade - should make it red-orange

3.) Paint the flat center of the engine nozzle with Citadel Troll Slayer Orange layer.

I’m still debating about running a Citadel Imrik Blue dry brush across the top city scape and the bottom landing bay cut out to make windows. Ive never done a dry brush before and I’m a bit paranoid about taking paint to a $200 model. Even this easy stuff... just paranoid I’ll ruin it.

The model isn't the best source for what it looks like on film; most obviously it doesn't include the engine glow, lights or other overlays, but it also doesn't reflect the different lighting used on it.

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

The model isn't the best source for what it looks like on film; most obviously it doesn't include the engine glow, lights or other overlays, but it also doesn't reflect the different lighting used on it.

But that being said, doesn’t that apply to all of the ships?

i mean, it certainly looks like the model we have is scaled down but in colour both for hull and city superstructure ...

... clearly we need to get our FLGSs to light it more appropriately 🙂

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

But that being said, doesn’t that apply to all of the ships?

Yes.

A few Celebrations ago there was a panel by some people from Lucasfilm about reproducing a load of the Original Trilogy stuff for Rogue One (ships, sets etc.), and one of the key points was that they didn't try to copy the original models (even though they had them and could reproduce them exactly) because they wouldn't look right. They wanted their new stuff (particularly the Star Destroyers) to look not like the original physical models, but like how we remember them looking on screen, once all the lighting, the visual effects, the editing is done.

With most of the newer ships that isn't really a problem, as they're based (I think) on the CGI models used in the TV series and films (e.g. Phoenix Home, Arquitens, Quasar - which are cartoony anyway). But with the SSD it makes a bigger difference due to how it was shot (and lit, and edited), and how long ago that happened (so how differently we remember it, and how it appears in more recent art).

On 8/13/2019 at 4:20 AM, Grumbleduke said:

Not Star Wars, but a good example of this are the Next Gen/Voyager era Star Trek ships - they appear white-grey on-screen, but the studio models are an ugly eggshell blue-green.