Force protect mastery question

By Lormif, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Force protect mastery reflects damage reduced to 0. Does this include damage mitigated by soak and parry/reflect? I dont see a specific order of operations to when the damage reduction of protect happens which makes this subject more difficult.

As always, read the long-form description. Force Protect mastery says "before soak". Also the Parry/Reflect talents say the damage is reduced before soak, so that and the base Protect power both count.

12 minutes ago, c__beck said:

As always, read the long-form description. Force Protect mastery says "before soak". Also the Parry/Reflect talents say the damage is reduced before soak, so that and the base Protect power both count.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

I guess I understood the wording incorrectly. So let's say for example my soak is 5 and hits me for 9 damage. In order to use the mastery upgrade to reflect the damage back at the attacker I would have to:

1) Spend like 85 xp to get it

2)spend an action and succeed the discipline check

3) Generate 4 force pips. (5 if I want it to be non energy based attacks)

4) they'd have to be all light side pips otherwise its a destiny point and take strain and conflict

4) Get to 9 with with willpower and successes??

And thats only one attacker unless I get all light side pips. Not to mention if you wanna affext another person thats more pips and increase the range thats another two pips. Ur talking like 8 or 9 force pips to utilize those. Doesn't this seem alittle too costly and an xp dump for what ur getting? I mean for the same amount of xp you could just get force move and force push 5 enemies and do crazy amounts of damage with way less pips required and way less dependency on the rolls you get. I think the only way to make this worth it is if you atleast make it so you can use the mastery ability if you don't take any damage AFTER soak.