Ordnance Saturation talent

By Krieger22, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

I am a little confused about the talent "Ordnance Saturation" in the "Rise of the Separatists" era book.

The talent description (page 41) states: "When the character [...] activates the Blast quality of a planetary-scale weapon, all ships or vehicles within close range of the target suffer damage equal to the weapon's Blast quality (plus 1 per additional success, as usual).

My confusion stems from the fact that this is pretty much word for word the description of the Blast quality from the Core books. So what does the talent actually do that the base Blast quality doesn't?

The blast quality, when triggered, affects all targets engaged with the initial target. Engaged is a personal scale range. Vehicles operate on planetary scale and don't have the Engaged range band. Note that on a miss, you can still trigger it (with three advantages) to still hit the initial target.

" Close range in planetary scale is slightly farther than extreme range in personal scale…. " AoR252.

So the talent lets you treat Close range as if it were Engaged for Blast weapons.

Ah, of course. Didn't really think about the Blast quality being much less useful in space combat.

7 hours ago, c__beck said:

The blast quality, when triggered, affects all targets engaged with the initial target. Engaged is a personal scale range. Vehicles operate on planetary scale and don't have the Engaged range band. Note that on a miss, you can still trigger it (with three advantages) to still hit the initial target.

" Close range in planetary scale is slightly farther than extreme range in personal scale…. " AoR252.

So the talent lets you treat Close range as if it were Engaged for Blast weapons.

Planetary scale Blast weapons also have a blast radius of Short in personal scale. Page 236 Age of Rebellion sidebar.

18 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Planetary scale Blast weapons also have a blast radius of Short in personal scale. Page 236 Age of Rebellion sidebar.

Good find! I knew there was something about the personal-scale blast radius but couldn’t find it.