Utinni! Jawas vs. Gencon

By Wintermute0, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Hello! My name is Patrick Christians and this is my battle report for the IA North American Championships 2019 that was at Gencon this past weekend. I'm not huge on play-by-plays, so this will probably be at least somewhat brief.

To start my list was as follows:

Deployment Cards

Sabine Wren

Hondo Ohnaka

2x Elite Jawa Scavenger

4x Jawa Scavenger

C1-10P

C-3P0

Jabba the Hutt

Black Market

Temporary Alliance

Command Cards

On the Lam

Tools for the Job

Second Chance

Worth Every Credit

Utinni!

Pickpocket

Dangerous Bargains

Price on Their Heads

Black Market Prices

Negation

Element of Surprise

Rebel Graffiti

Planning

Take Initiative

It's pretty much just a collection of every card in the game with the phrase "gain VPs" on it. You win Imperial Assault by getting to 40 points before the other guy, so I have elected to skip straight to the part where you get points and dispense with all the mucking about and killing people. It's... pretty good. I actually think it's the strongest list I have ever built.

Anyways, on to the actual tournament. I'm not going to do a play-by-play of every single match because A) I think they're boring and B) they mostly played out the same. I'll touch on the highlights, but just imagine that I wrote "this match I played all my command cards, got a bunch of points from them, played the objectives hard, and killed like 3 guys" for every match.

There were 19 people who showed up on the day, so we played 4 rounds of Swiss the first day, then a cut to Top 8 the second day.

Round 1:

I got a bye because there were an odd number of people in the tournament.

1-0

Round 2

vs. Bobby Crowley (scum hunters) on Tarkin AI

I actually lost my first round of the day. I didn't do a great job controlling the AI terminals and Bobby was able to get way more objective points then me, so I lost 37-40.

Figures killed: Onar, 1 Weequay, 1 Gammorrean Guard

1-1

Round 3

vs. Brian Vandergalien (IG + jawas) on Lothal Blitz

This round was actually a jawa swarm mirror, which was unexpected, but fun. Brian was running a different list then me, with IG and Under Duress instead of my VP shenanigans. I got the better end of the jawa fight and took the win 43-20.

Figures killed: 6 jawas :(

2-1

Round 4

vs. Lance from Michigan (rebel heroes) on Tarkin Weapons

I lost my Hondo at the end of round 1 because I ran him out to grab a control point and figured he probably wouldn't get one shot by Han. I was wrong. Still, everyone else did their thing and I won 40-15.

Figures killed: C-3P0, Chopper, Ashoka

3-1

3-1 was good enough to make the cut for day 2 and put me in a very ok 5th place after the swiss rounds.

Top 8

vs. Peter Burean (rebel heroes) on Lothal Fluctuations

I don't think anything super exciting happened this round. Got my points and won 41-15.

Figures killed: Sabine, R2-D2, Gideon

Top 4

vs. Brian Marks (rebel heroes) on Coruscant Back Alleys Posters

This was definitely the closest match I had all tournament. I got all the posters by round 2, but then proceeded to lose most of my jawas to Han and Drokatta. Brian was able to take some posters back and I was kind of stalled out at 38 points by the end of round 3. My only way to win ended up being to run a Jawa up to his deployment zone to try and kill Gideon, which only did 3 damage, but I was able to fly Sabine in there at the start of next round to get the last 2 damage with a grenade. If I had missed the grenade, I probably would have lost. Final score 42-30.

Figures killed: R2-D2, C-3P0, Gideon

Finals

vs. Logan Streeter (weird rebel heroes) on Coruscant Back Alleys Posters

I played against rebel heroes for my entire day 2, but Logan's list was at least a bit different. He had Han, Jyn, Jarrod, Murne, Hera, Mark, Gideon, R2-D2, and C-3P0, with a command deck full of spy cards and general command deck control. It was a really cool list and Logan is a super good player. He played the first couple rounds very defensively, moving most of his figures across the top of the map over towards the little room with 2 doors. He had the 2 posters in that room, but I had the other 4, so I was ok with the situation. I managed to do a pretty good job this game of dumping my VP command cards as fast as I could draw then, which ended up being pretty clutch against all Logan control shenanigans (Strategic Shift into Hostile Negotiations is p. mean). I ended up opening the my door into that room and we had a fight with about 4 of my jawas vs. his entire squad. I lost all my jawas, but I got Jarrod and Murne in trade (Chopper rammed Murne for the kill, which is always great). Meanwhile, Hondo and Sabie were on the other side of the map and I was able to put a Price on Gideons head, which would have been enough points to win me the game and also was far enough away from all Logan's guys that he couldn't do anything about it. I ran Hondo into his deployment zone to set up the kill for next round, but Hondo's ability stole me the last 2 points I needed to win, so Gideon got to live. Final score 41-28.

Figures killed: R2-D2, Jarrod, Murne

All in all, it was a really fun tournament, everyone was super nice, Gencon is always super fun, and I got a giant novelty die.

I would like to thank my testing partners here in Minnesota for helping my practice a bunch and putting up with my jawas for the past 6 months.

Congratulations. That’s a really cool list.

Any Spectre cell?

Edited by birthright
2 hours ago, birthright said:

Congratulations. That’s a really cool list.

Any Spectre cell?

Thanks!

Also no, no Spectre Cell. I was hoping someone would be brave enough, but no.

Very cool. Enjoyed reading the run down. The meta actually seems to be in a really fun place now and all it took was a SC nerf! Very good win! Creative list.

Good job Patrick! You definitely earned that win with all the practice you got beating up on us at FFG Center! Excellent work on yet another GenCon win.

Congratulations. It sounds like the tournament was really diverse with the lists.

I wonder if David Gao would fancy his Cats vs the Jawa swarm...

28 minutes ago, onyersix said:

Congratulations. It sounds like the tournament was really diverse with the lists.

I wonder if David Gao would fancy his Cats vs the Jawa swarm...

There was another guy who made top 8 with that same cats list, but I didn't play him.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, Wintermute0 said:

Hello! My name is Patrick Christians and this is my battle report for the IA North American Championships 2019 that was at Gencon this past weekend. I'm not huge on play-by-plays, so this will probably be at least somewhat brief.

To start my list was as follows:

Deployment Cards

Sabine Wren

Hondo Ohnaka

2x Elite Jawa Scavenger

4x Jawa Scavenger

C1-10P

C-3P0

Jabba the Hutt

Black Market

Temporary Alliance

Command Cards

On the Lam

Tools for the Job

Second Chance

Worth Every Credit

Utinni!

Pickpocket

Dangerous Bargains

Price on Their Heads

Black Market Prices

Negation

Element of Surprise

Rebel Graffiti

Planning

Take Initiative

It's pretty much just a collection of every card in the game with the phrase "gain VPs" on it. You win Imperial Assault by getting to 40 points before the other guy, so I have elected to skip straight to the part where you get points and dispense with all the mucking about and killing people. It's... pretty good. I actually think it's the strongest list I have ever built.

Anyways, on to the actual tournament. I'm not going to do a play-by-play of every single match because A) I think they're boring and B) they mostly played out the same. I'll touch on the highlights, but just imagine that I wrote "this match I played all my command cards, got a bunch of points from them, played the objectives hard, and killed like 3 guys" for every match.

There were 19 people who showed up on the day, so we played 4 rounds of Swiss the first day, then a cut to Top 8 the second day.

Round 1:

I got a bye because there were an odd number of people in the tournament.

1-0

Round 2

vs. Bobby Crowley (scum hunters) on Tarkin AI

I actually lost my first round of the day. I didn't do a great job controlling the AI terminals and Bobby was able to get way more objective points then me, so I lost 37-40.

Figures killed: Onar, 1 Weequay, 1 Gammorrean Guard

1-1

Round 3

vs. Brian Vandergalien (IG + jawas) on Lothal Blitz

This round was actually a jawa swarm mirror, which was unexpected, but fun. Brian was running a different list then me, with IG and Under Duress instead of my VP shenanigans. I got the better end of the jawa fight and took the win 43-20.

Figures killed: 6 jawas :(

2-1

Round 4

vs. Lance from Michigan (rebel heroes) on Tarkin Weapons

I lost my Hondo at the end of round 1 because I ran him out to grab a control point and figured he probably wouldn't get one shot by Han. I was wrong. Still, everyone else did their thing and I won 40-15.

Figures killed: C-3P0, Chopper, Ashoka

3-1

3-1 was good enough to make the cut for day 2 and put me in a very ok 5th place after the swiss rounds.

Top 8

vs. Peter Burean (rebel heroes) on Lothal Fluctuations

I don't think anything super exciting happened this round. Got my points and won 41-15.

Figures killed: Sabine, R2-D2, Gideon

Top 4

vs. Brian Marks (rebel heroes) on Coruscant Back Alleys Posters

This was definitely the closest match I had all tournament. I got all the posters by round 2, but then proceeded to lose most of my jawas to Han and Drokatta. Brian was able to take some posters back and I was kind of stalled out at 38 points by the end of round 3. My only way to win ended up being to run a Jawa up to his deployment zone to try and kill Gideon, which only did 3 damage, but I was able to fly Sabine in there at the start of next round to get the last 2 damage with a grenade. If I had missed the grenade, I probably would have lost. Final score 42-30.

Figures killed: R2-D2, C-3P0, Gideon

Finals

vs. Logan Streeter (weird rebel heroes) on Coruscant Back Alleys Posters

I played against rebel heroes for my entire day 2, but Logan's list was at least a bit different. He had Han, Jyn, Jarrod, Murne, Hera, Mark, Gideon, R2-D2, and C-3P0, with a command deck full of spy cards and general command deck control. It was a really cool list and Logan is a super good player. He played the first couple rounds very defensively, moving most of his figures across the top of the map over towards the little room with 2 doors. He had the 2 posters in that room, but I had the other 4, so I was ok with the situation. I managed to do a pretty good job this game of dumping my VP command cards as fast as I could draw then, which ended up being pretty clutch against all Logan control shenanigans (Strategic Shift into Hostile Negotiations is p. mean). I ended up opening the my door into that room and we had a fight with about 4 of my jawas vs. his entire squad. I lost all my jawas, but I got Jarrod and Murne in trade (Chopper rammed Murne for the kill, which is always great). Meanwhile, Hondo and Sabie were on the other side of the map and I was able to put a Price on Gideons head, which would have been enough points to win me the game and also was far enough away from all Logan's guys that he couldn't do anything about it. I ran Hondo into his deployment zone to set up the kill for next round, but Hondo's ability stole me the last 2 points I needed to win, so Gideon got to live. Final score 41-28.

Figures killed: R2-D2, Jarrod, Murne

All in all, it was a really fun tournament, everyone was super nice, Gencon is always super fun, and I got a giant novelty die.

I would like to thank my testing partners here in Minnesota for helping my practice a bunch and putting up with my jawas for the past 6 months.

short of one 14 command card...

33 minutes ago, Dr Tan said:

short of one 14 command card...

Oops, looks like I forgot Celebration.