My Custom Painted Super Star Destroyer

By fistfulofforce, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

4005E929-D6CA-4EB9-AE77-0939CE8B844D.jpeg

Edited by fistfulofforce

Looks really cool! Would you mind sharing what you did? Also did you paint the engine wells?

Edited by D.Erasmus

I took model master one bottle gun metal and one bottle steel mixed together. Sprayed the hull. The dark center and recessed bays are gunmetal 2:1 with flat black. It gives the more metal look. I hand painted the engines citadel mephistone red. I disassembled the model completely and put it back together. Going to order some new republic stencils and make it a rebel. After dry took testors dulcote and sprayed it.

Edited by fistfulofforce

22F8632C-82C2-4705-9CDC-882944B67A34.jpeg

691B99ED-585A-48EE-AC7C-D2C6B7F0A605.jpeg

Edited by fistfulofforce

Oh it’s beautiful

Gotta say it looks great. Well done

Looks great repianted mine as well.

Edited by xero989

That looks awesome and much more imposing. One small suggestion: I think the engine glow might look even better with a bit of Troll Slayer Orange added to the mix:

1000?cb=20090224022824&path-prefix=de

Oh and can we get a bigger pic? :)

Edited by Digitalfiends

Looks great!

1 hour ago, fistfulofforce said:

On 8/4/2019 at 11:41 PM, fistfulofforce said:

What colors did you end up using?

On 2/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, Kaashifar said:

What colors did you end up using?

Scroll up 3rd post down.

15 hours ago, fistfulofforce said:

Scroll up 3rd post down.

got it thanks!!

On 8/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, fistfulofforce said:

I took model master one bottle gun metal and one bottle steel mixed together. Sprayed the hull. The dark center and recessed bays are gunmetal 2:1 with flat black. It gives the more metal look. I hand painted the engines citadel mephistone red. I disassembled the model completely and put it back together. Going to order some new republic stencils and make it a rebel. After dry took testors dulcote and sprayed it.

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread, but do you thin with some painstakingly good taping, this paint job could be recreated without complete disassembly of the model?

I've never painted anything, and I'm even more nervous to take it apart. It just looks so **** good!

I am loving Gun Metal for the base of my Imperial fleets. With Black accents and a Satin Spray coat they really pop. Glad to see it on an SSD before I attempt to alter mine.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, SithLrd88 said:

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread, but do you thin with some painstakingly good taping, this paint job could be recreated without complete disassembly of the model?

I've never painted anything, and I'm even more nervous to take it apart. It just looks so **** good!

Thank you first of all, but yes you could just tape it and paint it. Use tamiya tape and cut it and tape off the middle section and then reverse it and should work just fine.

I did something similar with my Super Star Destroyer, but not as involved. A simple Nuln oil wash over the city section, top and bottom, and red engines with yellow shade. It looks so much better, to my eyes. I think that FFG must have found that adding additional paint layers increased production costs, time, or both, because in the original marketing materials, the ship does appear two-tone, whereas the final product was basically monotone. Of course, this could also just be the image playing tricks on us.

swm20_ship-scale.png

19 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

I did something similar with my Super Star Destroyer, but not as involved. A simple Nuln oil wash over the city section, top and bottom, and red engines with yellow shade. It looks so much better, to my eyes. I think that FFG must have found that adding additional paint layers increased production costs, time, or both, because in the original marketing materials, the ship does appear two-tone, whereas the final product was basically monotone. Of course, this could also just be the image playing tricks on us.

swm20_ship-scale.png

Do you have a pic of yours? Or have you posted it before in a thread. I love to see what everyones done to their SSDs.

9 minutes ago, SithLrd88 said:

Do you have a pic of yours? Or have you posted it before in a thread. I love to see what everyones done to their SSDs.

Here you are: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2KEiVkdzkQezXiDd7 (If you peek ever so closely, you might be able to make out the red engines.)