Why is Ms. Marvel a hero? [solved]

By Supertoe, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

9 minutes ago, coolcalmjon said:

i know you white internet dudes want so badly to believe ms marvel was cancelled because she's a brown girl but sorry bruh that aint it

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/farewell-to-ms-marvel-an-open-letter-from-g-willow-wilson

cry more 😂

"White Internet dudes?" *Sigh*

I admit that Ms. Marvel was revolutionary and popular when she was released, but there are inconsistencies in her character that make it hard to like her. The biggest is that, though she is a devout Muslim, she doesn't wear the hijab in either her superhero or alter ego form. The hijab is an essential part of how women are supposed to dress in Islam, yet the Muslim super-heroine isn't wearing one.

21 minutes ago, coolcalmjon said:

i know you white internet dudes want so badly to believe ms marvel was cancelled because she's a brown girl but sorry bruh that aint it

Wow. Why does a discussion of a mags popularity, or lack there of, need to be construed as racist? The discussion was with regard to why Ms. Marvel was chosen to be an early expansion release for Champions. As has been pointed out by OTHER posters it is in part because she is a minority character. It was also suggested that it was because she was a popular character. My contribution to the discussion was simply pointing out that her books are not nearly as popular as Marvel claims. TBH, I'm probably the only one here who has actually read all of the Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) issues, however I understand that it's much easier for you to virtue signal by accusing others of racist attitudes than it is to examine facts.

Edited by urloony
9 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

"White Internet dudes?" *Sigh*

I admit that Ms. Marvel was revolutionary and popular when she was released, but there are inconsistencies in her character that make it hard to like her. The biggest is that, though she is a devout Muslim, she doesn't wear the hijab in either her superhero or alter ego form. The hijab is an essential part of how women are supposed to dress in Islam, yet the Muslim super-heroine isn't wearing one.

Not all Muslims wear a hijab, especially in the US. Typically girls start wearing them at 15. Since Kamala is 16 in the comics, she should be wearing one if that were to be her chosen practice.

14 minutes ago, urloony said:

Wow. Why does a discussion of a mags popularity, or lack there of, need to be construed as racist? The discussion was with regard to why Ms. Marvel was chosen to be an early expansion release for Champions. As has been pointed out by OTHER posters it is in part because she is a minority character. It was also suggested that it was because she was a popular character. My contribution to the discussion was simply pointing out that her books are not nearly as popular as Marvel claims. TBH, I'm probably the only one here who has actually read all of the Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) issues, however I understand that it's much easier for you to virtue signal by accusing others of racist attitudes than it is to examine facts.

uh oh using the term "virtue signal" unironically looks like we got a live one boys

also lol @ using the term "facts" when you keep pretending her book got cancelled

Just now, coolcalmjon said:

uh oh using the term "virtue signal" unironically looks like we got a live one boys

also lol @ using the term "facts" when you keep pretending her book got cancelled

Yeah, welcome to the discussion. You'd have to look at the locked discussion that points out how her book has been tanking for the last few years. Marvel hasn't been honest about the depressing sales of Ms. Marvel for a long time. Now you think they are being honest about why Ms. Marvel ended? The last thing in the world they want to say is "cancelled." However, that's exactly what it was. Marvel cancelled a ton of books in 2018. Ms. Marvel was just a little late to the party.

The internet culture war has seeped into this forum now. Can we please get this shut down as well? This kind of toxicity will only kill the game off.

1 hour ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

The internet culture war has seeped into this forum now. Can we please get this shut down as well? This kind of toxicity will only kill the game off.

You don't read comic book forums much, do you? We comic book lovers are extremely territorial when it comes to the characters and universes we love. Just look at Batman: he's been around for eighty years, and is still a major source of debate within the comics community.

You mentioned a culture war. You are aware that Marvel Comics created the Black Panther, the first black superhero, as part of a civil rights push in the sixties, right? Comics, and comic-related merchandise, have always been a platform for cultural conflict and change. It isn't always pretty, but it is part of American culture.

1 hour ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

soapbox-ff81jpg.jpeg?auto=format,compres

Just now, coolcalmjon said:

Amen!

Guys please start your own thread, my original question has long since been answered, if you wanna have a culture war do it somewhere else please.