Single Player Variant?

By Bluekitty, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This game looks awesome but I've got no one to play it with. I recently moved and don't know any other gamers in WV and my husbands not into board games.

I've got a lot of experience playing board games by myself. You can call me a loser but as a kid I'd often play monopoly and other games that traditionally need at least 2 players, by myself. Now that I'm older, 26, I got interested in board games again. I'd really like to get a dungeon crawler game but it looks like they're all at least 2 player games. I've read lots of good reviews on this game and, like I already said, it looks really awesome so I'm curious has anyone ever tried to play a single player variant? Would I just be wasting my money?

Thanks,

-Jess-

People have created a number of different single-player or cooperative variants, though I haven't personally looked at any of them in detail. You may want to peruse the Variant subforum at BoardGameGeek.

You can also do the thing where you play against yourself, controlling both sides and trying to compartmentalize your strategy. The amount of hidden information is fairly small, but it's certainly not the same as having a real opponent to play against.

Bluekitty said:

they're all at least 2 player games. I've read lots of good reviews on this game and, like I already said, it looks really awesome so I'm curious has anyone ever tried to play a single player variant? Would I just be wasting my money?

I haven't seen any really good solo rules for Descent. Mind you, I haven't spent a lot of time looking either. It's probably doable, but I think the game would lose a lot of its atmosphere being played solo. FFG has a new game on the way called DungeonQuest (a revamp of the old GW title) which is also a dungeon crawl and I suspect would play much better solo. It's a bit more randomized and doesn't require one player to be at odds with the others ("many vs one" style games are generally the worst for solo play, IMHO.)

A friend introduced me to the game about 1,5 years ago. I loved it and bought the game myself. Just after getting the game I played it solo, twice, mostly because I loved it so much. I must admit though that it wasnt the same thrill . Personally I think the game isnt good enough to play solo(and I guess it never was inteded either). My wife on the other hand got somewhat interested and we are occasionaly playing it together(and I also play it with 4 other friends twice or more every month). The game takes some time to learn, and cost quite alot if you only are going to play it some few sessions. If you get to learn some other boardgamers living close to you its definitly worth the money(but expect each gamesession to take from 2-8 hours).

Best wishes

i often play the game in SOLO as well.

my wife has a problem with the language so thats one thing.

the other is my friends life far away.

i moved as wel so for friends its a bit harsh to come over.

still we play the game 1 on 1 every week, soon we have our 3rd player.

anny way.....

ive played the game in solo a lot of times its stil fun if you know the be fair at both sides.

we you are used to play games alone so i bet your juist like me,

you need to keep in mind that there are 2 stragedy's al the time try not to get them mixed up, and dont try to use the stragedy of heroes when playing overlord and vice versa, juist shut them out except for the trigger cards.

it can be fun play on your own surtanly to teach your self the game.

have fun