Help! A Kolat Saboteur PC

By Maleficus_Sadi, in Lore Discussion

Hey guys, I need help hammering out a background for a Kolat Saboteur Conspirator!

Keep in mind, I only learned what ‘Rokugan’ or ‘L5R’ even was about a month ago. So thanks for your patience and feel free to correct any misconceptions I may have!

Also, I’m treating the PLS as the front-end / “store-front” to the Kolat, while the Kolat themselves are the back-end guys who restock the shelves at night (don't ask where the product comes from!). Basically the “store-front” is the "safe" way to gauge someone’s interest in the Kolat, without drawing attention to yourself (unless you’re in Phoenix lands)!

This is a bit of a read, so thanks in advance if you manage to get through it! Alternatively, you can skip the backstory, and just try answering my questions below.

Edit: Okay, even though my questions are outside of the spoiler brackets, they're still inside the entire 'spoiler backstory.' No, I haven't been a serious poster on FFG since we switched over to the new forum system years ago! So just find the underlined/bolded section in the spoiler for my questions. Thanks!

So basically our character Fuyuko (having been born in the winter and with rare blue eyes), is the sole daughter of a burakumin couple. Other burakumin think the couple are selfish and a bit crazy for bringing a child into this caste because they are dooming her to a life of ostracism, discrimination, and hopelessness, but ultimately it matters little because they die when she is only 6 years old (potential questions regarding addendums to the burakumin caste coming later).

So at the tender age of 6, Fuyuko’s father runs afoul of an ill-tempered, one-handed, Lion samurai. The samurai is traveling with a group of friends when the father, chasing a loose chicken through the fields, bumps straight into the samurai and bowls him over. What ensues a classic test of tameshigiri, since the samurai has yet to have used his new sword in combat and his honor demands action. The father is found a day later cut in half on the road by village peasants and the family is informed. Within months the mother, who was always of frail health, falls terribly ill from the stress and overwork, and passes away.

Fuyuko flees into the night, hoping to meet her own ill-fated demise. However, the survival instinct in her is stronger than she realizes. She wanders the road eating moss, bugs, and drinking from streams for some days before she passes out on a pilgrim road in the mountains. She is discovered by Odayaka, a traveling priest, who unbeknownst to her is part of the Perfect Land Sect and is brought to his small temple. There, the priest decides to adopt her (not knowing she is hinin and presuming she is the sole survivor of a bandit attack— though finds out later and doesn’t care). He begins to teach her the ways of the PLS and how to tend the temple. Being born burakumin and having been visited by the injustice of status, Fuyuko latches onto the teachings of the PLS with fervency.

When she is 7, she is introduced to Katsuyama-sama (also Kolat), once the Karō to a vassal daimyo of the Yogo family but is now an instructor to a young samurai. It comes to light that Fuyuko is a dead-ringer for a slightly younger Yogo Mariko (his student) and that the PLS want to take Mariko out of the picture and plant Fuyuko as a PLS/KSC agent instead. Once the swap is made, Katsuyama will continue her training to help her become the perfect Kolat soldier.

Fuyuko is apprehensive and scared of pretending to be someone she isn’t, but after Katsuyama asks if she wants justice not only for herself, but all the other heinin who aren’t even treated as human-beings, she discovers a fire within that she didn’t know existed. The priest is given two years to “make her ready.”

2 years pass quickly and Fuyuko is ready. During a visit to a nearby shrine for the blessings of Jurō jin for their ailing grandfather, the Yogo family (with Katsuyama undercover) is beset by “bandits” (Kolat agents) and slain. Fuyuko watches from the shadows and when a Yogo samurai crawls towards her, yelling for her to flee, she is surprised to realize that she feels nothing as she watches him die. “Mariko the Kolat” and Katsuyama are the only survivors of this “tragedy.”

Fuyuko (henceforth ‘Mariko’) begins her life as a Kolat plant of the “Lotus” cell. She finds the luxuries and status afforded to her mind-blowing, and barely manages to keep her cover intact with Katsuyama’s aid. However, she quickly grows into her role and after some years, no one is the wiser.

Fast-forward 7 years, Mariko is growing into a shinobi of some renown, having been trained at the “Shosuro Infil traitor ” school (couldn’t help myself, sorry!). Although on the surface she is the perfect Scorpion, ultimately, she has been tasked with climbing the ladder of status and getting into a position of power so the Kolat can continue to grow (which aligns with what the Scorpion want of her anyway). The upcoming Topaz Championship is the perfect opportunity for this, and although winning the title would be a plus, she’s really there to find others she can convert to the PLS beliefs (the PC playing Togashi Yoshi may be perfect for this) and dishonor other clans if opportunity allows (even her own clan, if the perfect, untraceable opportunity presents itself— say the loss of face the Scorpion might endure if Bayushi Sugai does something that explodes in his face and everyone finds out his plan). But priority #1 is really keeping her Mariko cover intact, graduating from her gempuku, and keeping the Kolat “the ghost in the room that everyone swears exists, but no one can really confirm or deny it.”

Katsuyama personally oversees her training in the KSC school. There are rumors of other Kolat cells, but they have absolutely no contact with them . Katsuyama says that as far as she is concerned, the Lotus cell is the only cell in all of Rokugan and she must need act in such a way.
The Lotus cell’s interests are Katsuyama’s own nihilistic views of samurai which match perfectly with Fuyuko’s, and Odayaka’s pious wishes to spread the PLS beliefs far and wide.

Traits:
Distinction: Mariko’s small stature (as a malnourished burakumin) works in her favor, as everyone underestimates until it is too late to do anything about it ( Affect of Harmlessness ).
Adversity: Naturally she’s burakumin, so ( Adopted Peasant ) is a no-brainer, but might be a disadvantage that doesn’t work often enough because only two people know of her true past (well, three, actually)?
Although a distant memory now, Mariko is intent on hunting down the one-handed, Lion samurai that murdered her father in cold-blood ( Sworn Enemy [‘Nameless Lion’] ). Provided she can ever find an excuse to travel away from Scorpion lands.
Passion: The fact that she’s convinced all of these self-important samurai that she’s not burakumin, but actually the daughter of a noble family, gives her an endless source of amusement ( Secrets ). She also has ( Web of Lies ) as she has to keep track of whose interest in the PLS / Kolat she’s already gauged, who could potentially reveal her as a Kolat agent, and who (if anyone) might still question her as the True Mariko.
Anxieties: Even though she’s fit well into her role as Mariko, she knows she can never let her guard down on two counts: being Mariko the imposter and also belonging to the Kolat Conspiracy ( False Identity ).
Mariko, even after years of training, has difficulty discarding her naturally meek demeanor that was ingrained into her from a young age ( Meekness ).
Outburst: When things are at their worst, she unmasks by being unable to control fits of giggling and her eyes and smile grow unnaturally large; as if she’s laughing at a joke that no one knows (and she is)!

Questions & Concerns:

Burakumin, the ‘Never-Ending’ Despair: So this backstory made me realize something. The life of the hinin are pretty freaking bleak. There’s no hope, no end in sight (short of waiting for reincarnation). And if heaven forbid, they form a family, it’s the never-ending curse for anyone born into that family (short of them all dying through famine, disaster, or samurai’s NFG attitude).
So what if, (for ‘My Rokugan’) becoming hinin was basically a form of punishment? The person in question was forced to become hinin for the rest of their lives (or for 60-80 years?). If they died, but had children, the children had to work off the rest of their sentence. But there was no reduction for multiple children. Once they’ve worked it off, they go through a unique 3-day purification ceremony in order to return to ‘heimin’ status.
Okay. So what are the potential ramifications of this and is this at all plausible?

Using the PLS as a “Store-Front” for the Kolat: This seems to make sense, but I can’t tell if it’s exactly canon. I’m wondering if I’m missing anything that might make this idea clash?

Katsuyama— Kolat, Vassal Samurai, Cell Leader(?): Katsuyama in my opinion, can’t be part of the Yogo family, because I doubt anyone would put the desires of the Kolat into action against their own family (since he orders the execution of Mariko’s parents and guards). Hopefully him being merely a vassal to the Yogo is enough status to get him drafted to become True Mariko’s trainer? Additionally, as it stands, Katsuyama the Kar ō is the leader of the Kolat Lotus Cell (a very small cell, as you can see). I’m not sure he has enough leverage to do much with the Kolat, being only a Karō (or maybe that’s the point? Short of becoming the Katsuyama’s next daimyō vassal, his Kolat dreams are stuck. Maybe Mariko is his way of having the cell “advance”)? Or should there be one more addition to the cell, one with more clout?
Why is this particular samurai a Kolat? I’m not sure yet. Let alone why any samurai would become Kolat when they know they’re going to lose their status eventually— short of having a samurai paragon with dreams of equality?

Odayaka, Kolat Priest: So the Kolat work against the kami, because they want to be free from their influence. But Odayaka can still offer empty platitudes to the kami of his shrine, to keep newcomers and pilgrims flowing, right? Otherwise, how else can he spread the teachings of the Perfect Land Sect?

Fuyuko / Mariko acting against the Scorpion Clan (ie, ‘Dishonor for Everyone!’ Tactics): So the character is now primarily a Kolat (and a nihilistic one at that), so she would love to see the downfall of the samurai (especially Lions). But how realistic is it for her to throw dishonor on her own clan? Would it really hurt her advances if her own clan takes a bit of heat? Remember, she only does it when she’s near certain she can get away with it and it won’t be traced back to her— that’s a can of worms no one in the Lotus cell wants!

Kolat, the Honorless Scum: A big hurdle is that a KSC starts with a dismal 20 Honor. After character creation, that goes down to 15 because Fuyuko naturally doesn’t believe in Bushidō ! Are there any problems I need to be aware of with a character having such an abysmal Honor score? Scorpions aren’t particularly worried about Honor, but getting a THIRD disadvantage could prove troublesome for her.

Beginner’s Game: Hitoshi’s Secret & Bayushi Sugai (Small Spoiler):

So in the sidebar, it says that Hitoshi is the pawn in a conflict between the Scorpion and the Crane Clan. The character knows that this is the case but also knows they shouldn’t put the Scorpion Clan’s desires before Katsuyama's.

However, I’m trying to set up an irresistible opportunity to present itself where they can get Toshimoko to accidentally kill Hitoshi or even vice versa (by getting Hitoshi worked up enough during The Feast and having them use real [previously poisoned] swords instead of bokken, maybe?). Afterwards, they’ll be given the chance to kill Sugai (in place of him being incapacitated— then plant the evidence that the Scorpion clan knew the truth all along and they set Hitoshi up to be there). Therein the blame lies upon Bayushi Sugai and has nothing to do with her.

But. Big but here. This seems like… a lot of work… for one PC. And I may just scratch this idea altogether. But it does fit into their whole ‘Dishonor for Everyone’ desires. Alternatively, maybe they could reveal the truth to Hitoshi in the middle of the night, saying they “found this paper in Sugai’s room and felt they had a right to know.” Maybe sending Hitoshi storming into Toshimoko’s residence to confront him then and there. Afterwards when they meet, maybe this is where the fight takes place instead? But dying from poison, either father or son realizes just what they’ve done?

All in all, I think the character and story seem interesting to explore! We've already acknowledged that Mariko is destined to meet a tragic end. Interestingly though she is a Yogo (in name only) so the curse doesn’t apply and hopes to work that in to roleplaying one day (if they live that long). I’m sure if that ever came to light, the Yogo Wardmaster’s would be particularly interested in that!

Edited by Maleficus_Sadi
Spoiler Tags Issues

I won't try to answer everything you ask, because some things are really more your preference. For instance, you ask, how realistic is it for her to throw dishonor on her own clan? Well, sure it is...there are as many agendae and behaviors in the Empire as there are people. It's easy to envision someone who despises their clan, to the extent of even wanting to destroy it. The Mask of the Oni module actually contains such a character. So really, that comes down the preference of the player in the context of the GM's game. Just as in real life, they can do pretty much whatever they want, including flinging dishonor at their own clan; they just should have some realistic motivation for it (so it makes a good story) and will have to live with the consequences thereof, good and bad.

There are few questions though I'll suggest some answers for:

-regarding "Burakumin, the ‘Never-Ending’ Despair"...it's actually a little more nuanced than that. Within their own community, there's no reason the burakumin can't live reasonably happy lives. They'll never be wealthy or hold any power, but they can still fall in love, marry, have kids they love in turn, sing songs, tell stories, put on plays, etc., etc. In fact, for the burakumin to be a functioning sub-society within Rokugan, they pretty much have to be like this. It's really when they end up dealing with samurai (or even some heimin) that their lives can get pretty miserable. Fortunately, the samurai rarely want to have anything to do with the burakumin, and tend to leave them alone to the point of ignoring them. Now, that said, it still is a low rung on the Celestial Order, so there is the burden of spiritual impurity implied in being a burakumin. But that's an incentive to be the best burakumin you can possibly be, in hopes of moving up the Order on your next turn on the Karmic Wheel. Of course, if you want the lives of your burakumin to unrelentingly bleak and miserable, that's fine...just keep in mind that it would be hard to keep that section of society functioning, if you do.

-regarding "Using the PLS as a “Store-Front” for the Kolat"...sure, why not? It's actually rather cool and makes a lot of sense. It doesn't conflict with canon, either, because AFAIK, the PLS and the Kolat have not really been linked in any canonical writings or sources. However, they DO share a lot of the same motivations, so I wouldn't be surprised to find these two groups cross-pollinating one another in some way down the line (standard disclaimer...that's just my conjecture; I have no idea whatsoever what's planned for either of these groups in the story).

-regarding "Odayaka, Kolat Priest"...empty platitudes? Again, why not? Since Odayaka either doesn't believe in the Heavens, or wants nothing to do with them and considers them bad for the Empire and its people, then her blaspheming them isn't really a big deal, is it? If their role is to only appear to be a priest, then it only makes sense that they would only appear to be devout...

Edited by DGLaderoute

Interesting ideas, all.

My understanding is that the kolat definitely use the PLS to advance their own goals, but the kolat aim is governance by merit, where the PLS aim is to attain heaven, breaking the Wheel, and perhaps bringing Shinsei back. So very much a now, versus, when dead, mindset. I would generally see most Kolat as happy to use the PLS, but not actually adherents.

Adopted peasant doesn't work at all. No one knows, everyone treats her as a samurai. Dark Secret. While in 2nd and 3rd it became a bit of a joke that everyone had dark secret for the points, this edition really works well. And ties in with the false identity to push the strife.

One thing about cells is, they overlap. high members of a cell are part of two cells. Neither cell knows they are a part of another cell, and someone else in each cell are probably also members of completely separate other cells as the first two. So your cell leader probably has another cell he hasn't told you about, that can do some of what needs to be done for this goal at the Topaz.

1 hour ago, DGLaderoute said:

-regarding "Burakumin ...

-regarding "Odayaka, Kolat Priest"...empty platitudes? Again, why not? Since Odayaka either doesn't believe in the Heavens, or wants nothing to do with them and considers them bad for the Empire and its people, then her blaspheming them isn't really a big deal, is it? If their role is to only appear to be a priest, then it only makes sense that they would only appear to be devout...

@DGLaderoute : Thanks for that information! I didn't realize the burakumin were more of an isolated, unwanted caste that had a whole culture of their own behind the scenes! I must have somehow missed that when they mentioned that somewhere in the Core/EE! That's pretty different than my initial few of them. So as it stands, I won't bother changing anything. As you said though, I couldn't figure out how you could subjugate such a large group of people. But if they have their own society behind the scenes that the bushi and heinin don't really see, then it begins to make a lot more sense!

1 hour ago, DGLaderoute said:

-regarding "Using the PLS as a “Store-Front” for the Kolat"...sure, why not? It's actually rather cool and makes a lot of sense. It doesn't conflict with canon, either, because AFAIK, the PLS and the Kolat have not really been linked in any canonical writings or sources. However, they DO share a lot of the same motivations, so I wouldn't be surprised to find these two groups cross-pollinating one another in some way down the line (standard disclaimer...that's just my conjecture; I have no idea whatsoever what's planned for either of these groups in the story).

Great! Glad these two thoughts seem to work out well then! I definitely felt the same (that they could potentially be linked together down the line) and hopefully we get some foreshadowing on this!

As for Odayaka the Kolat Priest, I'm still a little fuzzy on the relationships between kami and mortals, I guess. So if the kami of a shrine is pleased through worship and offerings, they can make their will manifest in devoted mortals. By doing so a lay priest (non-shugenja) can bless fields, sanctify ritual spaces, practice auguries, create omamori, etc. So I guess I'm wondering, if the Kolat Priest is working against the kami as an end goal, would the kami of the shrine even care? If they do care, then they won't bless the priest which means they suddenly fall out of favor, none of their field blessings, omamori, etc., work anymore and now the priest's cover could be potentially blown. Am I making sense? 🤨

Curious to what your take on this is.

And again, thanks for your insight!

1 hour ago, Scrivener Spills said:

Interesting ideas, all.

My understanding is that the kolat definitely use the PLS to advance their own goals, but the kolat aim is governance by merit, where the PLS aim is to attain heaven, breaking the Wheel, and perhaps bringing Shinsei back. So very much a now, versus, when dead, mindset. I would generally see most Kolat as happy to use the PLS, but not actually adherents.

Adopted peasant doesn't work at all. No one knows, everyone treats her as a samurai. Dark Secret. While in 2nd and 3rd it became a bit of a joke that everyone had dark secret for the points, this edition really works well. And ties in with the false identity to push the strife.

One thing about cells is, they overlap. high members of a cell are part of two cells. Neither cell knows they are a part of another cell, and someone else in each cell are probably also members of completely separate other cells as the first two. So your cell leader probably has another cell he hasn't told you about, that can do some of what needs to be done for this goal at the Topaz.

@Scrivener Spills Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!

That's a very interesting distinction regarding the Kolat and the PLS I hadn't considered! Maybe I could have them split things up or something.
"You most certainly are welcome to try and break The Wheel and attempt to bring Shinsei back! However, in the mean time, leave Ningen-do matters to the Kolat." 😉

You're right about the Adopted Peasant. Maybe I'll show pity on them and have them take it for their 3rd flaw disadvantage-- which I have a feeling they'll get, since they're only 15 honor points away. In my mind, those 15 points of honor won't last long with a character like this! 🤣

As for a second cell, that's a good point! I guess I'll need to start drafting some ideas on just how far Karō Katsuyama's reach extends! But do you think he has enough clout being simply the Karō of a vassal family? Or should I have him promoted to a vassal daimy ō? 🤨

Thanks again for your suggestions, Scrivener!

Why would Kolat care about his placement in the Samurai order? Other than usefulness. his power and reach in the Kolat is completely separate of his power and reach as a Samurai.

35 minutes ago, Scrivener Spills said:

Why would Kolat care about his placement in the Samurai order? Other than usefulness . his power and reach in the Kolat is completely separate of his power and reach as a Samurai.

Just this, really. It seems to me that if you're trying to dismantle an organization or government from within, the higher up you are, the more easily attainable this becomes.

1 hour ago, Maleficus_Sadi said:

@DGLaderoute : Thanks for that information! I didn't realize the burakumin were more of an isolated, unwanted caste that had a whole culture of their own behind the scenes! I must have somehow missed that when they mentioned that somewhere in the Core/EE! That's pretty different than my initial few of them. So as it stands, I won't bother changing anything. As you said though, I couldn't figure out how you could subjugate such a large group of people. But if they have their own society behind the scenes that the bushi and heinin don't really see, then it begins to make a lot more sense!

As for Odayaka the Kolat Priest, I'm still a little fuzzy on the relationships between kami and mortals, I guess. So if the kami of a shrine is pleased through worship and offerings, they can make their will manifest in devoted mortals. By doing so a lay priest (non-shugenja) can bless fields, sanctify ritual spaces, practice auguries, create omamori, etc. So I guess I'm wondering, if the Kolat Priest is working against the kami as an end goal, would the kami of the shrine even care? If they do care, then they won't bless the priest which means they suddenly fall out of favor, none of their field blessings, omamori, etc., work anymore and now the priest's cover could be potentially blown. Am I making sense? 🤨

Well, if the priest is only going through the motions of being worshipful to the spirits, then sure, the spirits are likely to respond in kind...but either not responding at all, or responding in a negative way. That's a problem. But it's really symptomatic of the fact the Kolat are trying to eschew the Heavens and the spirits in favor of an Age of Man, in a land in which the Heavens and spirits are very much real things, affecting day-to-day life in the mortal world. Yes, that's a problem for the Kolat. How they would solve that is, well, something they'd have to wrestle with. One thought would be that the priest actually IS devout, so their observances are real...they don't object to men being worshipful of spirits, but do object to the Heavens claiming rulership over men. So perhaps this particular Kolat believes that the Hantei and the lineages of the other Kami should be thrown down so men can rule themselves, but other interactions with the spirits are fine. I mean, it's a pretty fine line, and it would be interesting to know the mental gymnastics this particular Kolat goes through to rationalize this...it could actually make for an interesting and conflicted character.

As for the burakumin thing, I think the closest we've come in the books is mention of hinin "villages" or "settlements" that are close to, but distinct from, Rokugani towns. They discreetly travel to those towns to do the things burakumin do--remove corpses, clean up garbage, sweep streets, remove dung, etc.--then discreetly go home again. I don't recall if we wrote anything more than that about the life of a burakumin village, but to me, it makes no sense to think that within their own villages they just huddle miserably in their hovels, anxiously waiting for the next demand from a samurai. They are actual, living (non-) people, presumably with hopes and fears and biases and passions and the like, and all of that certainly implies they are a vital, functioning society unto themselves. It makes me think it would actually be interesting to have a bit in an RPG book about the layout and life of a burakumin village. There are, in fact, probably all sorts of gritty, burakumin politics, rivalries, alliances, plots and schemes...

3 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

... One thought would be that the priest actually IS devout, so their observances are real...they don't object to men being worshipful of spirits, but do object to the Heavens claiming rulership over men. So perhaps this particular Kolat believes that the Hantei and the lineages of the other Kami should be thrown down so men can rule themselves, but other interactions with the spirits are fine. I mean, it's a pretty fine line, and it would be interesting to know the mental gymnastics this particular Kolat goes through to rationalize this...it could actually make for an interesting and conflicted character.

I may very well simply use what you've written here for the character! Thanks a lot for that!

It's too bad (for the priest, not for RPing purposes though!) that he is forced into walking such a fine line. If he were closer to Unicorn lands, as an undercover Kolat agent, I could say he simply learned how to use Meishodo to create the illusion of himself still being 'blessed' by the kami! But in a little shrine hidden near the border of Scorpion and Lion territory? Not likely 😂 .

There does seem to be a difference for Shugenja and the kami in this edition compared to the others. In past editions, I always got the impression that the Kolat could definitely have Shugenja, because it was the ritual that kami respond to, regardless of belief. If you could impress the kami by doing what they like, you could cast spells. The Kolat thus viewed the kami as tools to be used in furtherance of their goals.

In the new edition, however, the kami are much more spiritually-relevant. They do represent or require faith behind them.

Of course, as noted, believing in the kami as allies and believing in the Kami's Mandate to rule are very different things. Isawa was an insanely powerful and accomplished Shugenja, and he absolutely rejected the Divine Mandate until a Kami knelt before him. So faith in the Celestial Order and the ability to invoke the kami need not be intertwined.

9 hours ago, Maleficus_Sadi said:

Thanks for that information! I didn't realize the burakumin were more of an isolated, unwanted caste that had a whole culture of their own behind the scenes! I must have somehow missed that when they mentioned that somewhere in the Core/EE! That's pretty different than my initial few of them. So as it stands, I won't bother changing anything. As you said though, I couldn't figure out how you could subjugate such a large group of people. But if they have their own society behind the scenes that the bushi and heinin don't really see, then it begins to make a lot more sense!

Look at it this way - anything that's an 'impure' career; butchers, leatherworkers, undertakers, torturers, is done by the Heimin.

But some of those are actually fairly skilled careers. So you must have those master/apprentice relationships that in gaijin nations is managed with a guild structure.

6 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Of course, as noted, believing in the kami as allies and believing in the Kami's Mandate to rule are very different things. Isawa was an insanely powerful and accomplished Shugenja, and he absolutely rejected the Divine Mandate until a Kami knelt before him. So faith in the Celestial Order and the ability to invoke the kami need not be intertwined.

Very much so. The spirits have been show to be anything from allies to servants to people you've dedicated your life to serving to indulgent 'imaginary friends'.

@Magnus Grendel : Yeah, I knew those 'less desirable' jobs were maintained by the heimin (did you mean hinin?). But as you said, I never considered more carefully the implications of having that society in the background (masters with apprentices, people with families, etc.). It makes a lot more sense now! Thanks!

So I kept thinking about our temple priest and wanted to look more into the Kolat. I found something interesting, but it's information from a previous edition since it's from the L5R wiki (I'm thinking it's 1e, but really have no idea of any edition besides 5e). But in it it says, " It was also the Kolat that made sure the Unicorn learned meishodo, a form of gaijin magic which did not use the kami, but the Elements themselves ."

So I'm inferring this means that the Kolat extend outside of Rokugan itself? I had initially thought that it was a purely Rokugan secret society, but if that was the case, how could they, having become so completely gaijin-intolerant, have learned meishodo in the first place? If the Unicorn returned to the empire with meishodo, doesn't that mean that Kolat agents were already within the Unicorn (continuing to teach them meishodo) upon their return? If that's the case, then like a virulent disease, the Kolat spread throughout the empire with the Unicorn essentially becoming patient zero-- right?

Anywho, I may just use the fact that the Kolat have precedence for knowing meishodo (which makes the lives of their priests and shugenja a lot easier!). However, since @DGLaderoute made such a compelling roleplaying argument for Odayaka the Priest, I may keep that idea in the vein of him/her being the "strange Kolat who tries to balance his worship of the kami with their duties."

Edited by Maleficus_Sadi
Typos!

In the old lore, the Kolat originated as the Qolat, a secretive sect in the region known as the Burning Sands devoted to throwing off the "oppressive yoke" of divine rule. This was a response to the destruction of an entire city, Laramun, by the Sun on what was known as the Day of Wrath. Qolat was actually the name of the man who effectively founded the sect in the aftermath of that terrible event. Eventually, the wandering Ki-Rin clan (later to be the Unicorn, when they returned to the Empire) showed up in the Burning Sands and were infiltrated by the Qolat, who ended up inadvertently bringing their ideology back with them to Rokugan.

I honestly don't know how true any of this is in the new setting. The Burning Sands is a very different place in the FFG lore from what it was in the AEG lore (because the Burning Sands IP was not purchased by FFG). Accordingly, we don't really have a lot of information about this region beyond bits and pieces in the various RP books; in fact, most of what we know is actually in the Unicorn novella (which is actually next on my reading list, so if the Qolat or Kolat are mentioned in there, then there's the new canon for them). Otherwise, the conventional wisdom has been that anything in the old lore should be considered true unless it is specifically contradicted, but in this case, the entirety of the Burning Sands lore has been/is being redone. I don't, therefore, think we can just assume things like the Qolat/Kolat are necessarily true anymore and that FFG has other things in mind for the Kolat in the new setting.

53 minutes ago, Maleficus_Sadi said:

(did you mean hinin?)

Sorry, yes, Hinin. My bad.

26 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

... in fact, most of what we know is actually in the Unicorn novella (which is actually next on my reading list, so if the Qolat or Kolat are mentioned in there, then there's the new canon for them). Otherwise, the conventional wisdom has been that anything in the old lore should be considered true unless it is specifically contradicted, but in this case, the entirety of the Burning Sands lore has been/is being redone. I don't, therefore, think we can just assume things like the Qolat/Kolat are necessarily true anymore and that FFG has other things in mind for the Kolat in the new setting.

That was a lot of good information, thank you! I guess until more information is revealed, for the purposes of simplicity, I'll have the Kolat have access to meishodo (at least until they release contradictory lore)!

Do you guys know of anyone who does synopsis' of the L5R books? I'm interested in the content, but still on the fence about buying the novellas. But it sounds like there could be some very pertinent lore in the aforementioned book!

Some of the qolat beginnings is still true, but they didn't get all the IP to burning sands, so some of it is handwaved.

Agreed, the Kolat don't disbelieve in the kami, they simply don't believe samurai, with their fallen kami blood, are inherently best to be in charge. All humans are equal at the beginning. They also don't WORSHIP the Kami, but the kami don't require worship to power invocations. just asked nicely.

That said, the qolat IS responsible for the Iuchi learning Meishodo name magic, in order to bring a form of magic into the Empire that isn't dependent on the Kami and Fortunes.

3 hours ago, Maleficus_Sadi said:

That was a lot of good information, thank you! I guess until more information is revealed, for the purposes of simplicity, I'll have the Kolat have access to meishodo (at least until they release contradictory lore)!

Do you guys know of anyone who does synopsis' of the L5R books? I'm interested in the content, but still on the fence about buying the novellas. But it sounds like there could be some very pertinent lore in the aforementioned book!

I'd recommend just reading the novellas. They do contain significant amounts of lore. They sort of represent "side quests" to the main story line, by characters who we generally haven't seen much of previously, that still hook back into the main story with some significant plot points. They're also pretty good reads (as I said, I've been kinda anxious to get to the Unicorn one, which I haven't read yet, but the Phoenix and Scorpion novellas were really good stories!) If you don't want get (or can't find) hardcopy versions, they're available on DriveThruFiction.com in digital format, at a pretty reasonable price.

Aside from the Burning Sands origin, there's also an origin story that the Kolat were originally a group of philosophers who questioned the Divine Right of the Kami from the beginning of the Empire; their name comes from a word in the tribal language which means "To Question."* I believe that was from the Way of the Thief, a 2e/d20 combo book.

https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Kolat

* - thus why I created the acronym Kind Of Like Asking That question.

14 hours ago, Maleficus_Sadi said:

One observation I'd make: A big error, I feel, is talking about "the Kolat".

People have a tendancy to picture threatening things they don't know about (religions, nations and secret societies) as big, mysterious, monolithic entities when they're often anything but. Even if there's a unified council of masters at the top, the Kolat has had centuries of internal doctrinal evolution within carefully silo-ed cells which don't talk to one another and which are continually recruiting disaffected new blood who are disaffected for all sorts of reasons.

The priests and monks of the Empire of Rokugan can't reliably agree the details of exactly what they believe, and that's with educated samurai debating it openly, with the infallible Son of Heaven available to intercede and say "no, it's like this" where necessary. Assuming the Kolat is consistant in what they believe and what tools they have access to and/or are prepared to use is probably foolish in the extreme, despite the fact that most samurai in Rokugan who know they exist probably do so.

Any individual Kolat member or cell could fit anywhere on the scale from

• anarchist who just wants to see the empire burn
  • civil rights activist who wants to see the caste order abolished and social progression for competent merchants and brave ashigaru
  • disaffected vassal who dislikes the power being permenantly vested in the handful of kami-descended families despite a millenium of intermarriage
  • ambitious noble who's fine with almost everything about the empire aside from the fact that the buttocks parked on the Emerald Throne aren't theirs.
12 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Any individual Kolat member or cell could fit anywhere on the scale from

• anarchist who just wants to see the empire burn
  • civil rights activist who wants to see the caste order abolished and social progression for competent merchants and brave ashigaru
  • disaffected vassal who dislikes the power being permenantly vested in the handful of kami-descended families despite a millenium of intermarriage
  • ambitious noble who's fine with almost everything about the empire aside from the fact that the buttocks parked on the Emerald Throne aren't theirs.

Emphasis mine.

These are the vast majority of us them, trust me. We're They're all very friendly and just want to talk, honest.

<.< >.>

I mean, that's what my friends Akodo Kage and Yasuki Taka always told me.

22 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Emphasis mine.

These are the vast majority of us them, trust me. We're They're all very friendly and just want to talk, honest.

<.< >.>

I mean, that's what my friends Akodo Kage and Yasuki Taka always told me.

Seeing as how they've changed Master Chrysanthemum already, don't count on Kage or Taka.

3 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Seeing as how they've changed Master Chrysanthemum already, don't count on Kage or Taka.

Well, I suppose I get that from following the story from the last 15 years. I did miss that they'd revealed who Master Chrysanthemum is. Which story? I've fallen behind in the fiction.

6 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Well, I suppose I get that from following the story from the last 15 years. I did miss that they'd revealed who Master Chrysanthemum is. Which story? I've fallen behind in the fiction.

None of them. It's in Winter's Embrace .

In fact, thinking about it, Satsume's death at the order of his 'Friend and Peer' (who in hindsight was almost certainly Master Chrysanthemum) is explained in In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion , meaning the Kolat has to date only been mentioned openly in the RPG.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
14 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

In fact, thinking about it, Satsume's death at the order of his 'Friend and Peer' (who in hindsight was almost certainly Master Chrysanthemum) is explained in In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion , meaning the Kolat has to date only been mentioned openly in the RPG.

Yeah, it's great, IMHO.

16 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Ah, haven't gotten through that module yet.