Question on FAQ Re: Barbarians

By RolandKorg, in Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn

Played for the first time last night. Love it. I downloaded the FAQ on the Fantasy Flight web site for the rules clarification that it offers. But I found that the FAQ muddied the waters for me in it's section on Barbarians. On page 1 of the FAQ under the section on Barbarians the second bullet point says (it is red, indicating this bullet point is a new entry and not in the rule book):

"If a barbarian is in a city-state's space, it does not use that city-state's combat bonus - the barbarian's combat bonus equals one (the difficulty of that space's terrain, which is grassland)."

BUT, the fifth bullet point says (it is black, indicating this is the original rule from page 15 of the rule-book):

"While a barbarian is in a city-state's space, caravans cannot move into that space (unless the player has Currency) and the city-state cannot be attacked ."

The way I'm reading this, these two rules contradict each other - one says barbarians, while in a city-state, will defend at a combat bonus of one, the other says, while in a city-state, they can't be attacked at all. Does the new entry (the red bullet point) replace the black bullet point (the original rule-book) in this instance, or am I misunderstanding something? Not a big deal in the game I played last night because this scenario never came into play, but I would like clarification for future games.

Thanks for any help.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, RolandKorg said:

Played for the first time last night. Love it. I downloaded the FAQ on the Fantasy Flight web site for the rules clarification that it offers. But I found that the FAQ muddied the waters for me in it's section on Barbarians. On page 1 of the FAQ under the section on Barbarians the second bullet point says (it is red, indicating this bullet point is a new entry and not in the rule book):

"If a barbarian is in a city-state's space, it does not use that city-state's combat bonus - the barbarian's combat bonus equals one (the difficulty of that space's terrain, which is grassland)."

BUT, the fifth bullet point says (it is black, indicating this is the original rule from page 15 of the rule-book):

"While a barbarian is in a city-state's space, caravans cannot move into that space (unless the player has Currency) and the city-state cannot be attacked ."

The way I'm reading this, these two rules contradict each other - one says barbarians, while in a city-state, will defend at a combat bonus of one, the other says, while in a city-state, they can't be attacked at all. Does the new entry (the red bullet point) replace the black bullet point (the original rule-book) in this instance, or am I misunderstanding something? Not a big deal in the game I played last night because this scenario never came into play, but I would like clarification for future games.

Thanks for any help.

The rule is that while barbarians are in a city state, then the city state can't be attacked. It doesn't say you can't attack the barbarians. They don't get a bonus from the city state and the terrain is a value of 1.