Tractor Beam House Rules?

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

17 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

More flexible? It seems pretty rigid to me. Do you have any weird edge cases to show me? No? Oh that's right, you haven't tested the system.
I'm not pushing to get them to change the official rules, most people wouldn't care, and my system is not great for mass consumption as a result of the prep work being unlike anything in the rest of the system. I just like the system and I think that it is a good system.

You told me about the weird edge cases. You keep trying to defend your system. Problem is no one here is buying because they do not have any issues with RAW. You are the first person since the Edge beta that has an issue. And your issue is largely a hang up on what you consider to not make sense. Even though as i have shown your assumption doesnt hold up. What matters is the tractor beam projector. Not the size of vehical

The size of the vehicle is already covered by the minimum vehicle size required for the projector

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

You told me about the weird edge cases.

What weird edge cases?

You keep trying to defend your system. Problem is no one here is buying because they do not have any issues with RAW. You are the first person since the Edge beta that has an issue.

Again, Bandwagon Fallacy. Aside from the fact that you have no idea how many people don't like the RAW and use their own house rules.

And your issue is largely a hang up on what you consider to not make sense. Even though as i have shown your assumption doesnt hold up. What matters is the tractor beam projector. Not the size of vehical

I don't think you have. Power generation and tractor beam projector both matter. Also it makes for a pretty small (though important) bonus, I didn't make it the be all and end all of variables.

The size of the vehicle is already covered by the minimum vehicle size required for the projector

Minimum size yes, but minimum . That doesn't mean that ships with more power generation won't have an advantage.

30 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

What weird edge cases?

Again, Bandwagon Fallacy. Aside from the fact that you have no idea how many people don't like the RAW and use their own house rules.

I don't think you have. Power generation and tractor beam projector both matter. Also it makes for a pretty small (though important) bonus, I didn't make it the be all and end all of variables.

Minimum size yes, but minimum . That doesn't mean that ships with more power generation won't have an advantage.

Again you get weirdly fixated on size when size is clearly not the only factor. When clearly we have no way of measuring power output. You assume bigger ships have more spare power. That is not necessariy the case.

Wow... this a whole lot of arguing just to say "A ship can't tractor beam another ship if the target is larger than the one with the tractor beam".

At least that's my house rule.

(Well, to be specific, my house rule is "you can't tractor a ship that is of a larger sil than yours")

I remember when I was young and believed that overly complicated math heavy house rules were the answer to everything that I thought was a "problem".

K.I.S.S makes for a much better story than any of the overly complex goblety-**** I've seen here.

(Keep It Stupidly Simple)

7 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

I remember when I was young and believed that overly complicated math heavy house rules were the answer to everything that I thought was a "problem".

K.I.S.S makes for a much better story than any of the overly complex goblety-**** I've seen here.

(Keep It Stupidly Simple)

It might also be dependant on what generation of roleplaying games you're part of.

Many from my generation (at least in Sweden) are used to massively heavy tomes of complicated rules that are designed to cover every minute eventuality.

I don't really like that, but many of my generation does.

And I can easily see someone of that generation coming into this game and starting to make tons and tons of very detailed and specific rules just because they think that a system "needs" to have those rules to cover every eventuality.

But they're wrong.

It's just that they don't know how to live without those rules.

9 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

It might also be dependant on what generation of roleplaying games you're part of.

Many from my generation (at least in Sweden) are used to massively heavy tomes of complicated rules that are designed to cover every minute eventuality.

I don't really like that, but many of my generation does.

And I can easily see someone of that generation coming into this game and starting to make tons and tons of very detailed and specific rules just because they think that a system "needs" to have those rules to cover every eventuality.

But they're wrong.

It's just that they don't know how to live without those rules.

Extreme detail in tules leads to needing lots of rules to cover everything which leads to stuff not covered

Edited by Daeglan
16 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Extreme detail in tules leads to needing lots of rules to cover everything which leads to stuff not covered

I know.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or that it should be done.

I'm just saying I understand where it might be coming from.