Republic At War Rules/OC Conversation

By GhostofNobodyInParticular, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Acually I have been making a reworked space combat system that I would like to try eventually. I think it would be an improvement over the current system based on a single roll.

OK. So standard Risk ground combat rules for future games. No advantage to either side, lest we unbalance the system. There may still be a little bit of wiggle room to differentiate the DF and CF, but I can't think of anything that will not swing results one way or the other.

Some hard thinking will be required to balance out the ships. We could make them equal to each other, but that will lead to identical game play. I noticed that in previous games the Rebels were the most popular as a result of being cheaper. That seems to be affecting the Republic here as well. But inevitably one side will have cheaper units, so the question is how are we going to compensate the players who pay more for their units? I would imagine a greater abundance of effects or boost to said effects is worthy of consideration.

No boosted shipyards.

12 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

Acually I have been making a reworked space combat system that I would like to try eventually. I think it would be an improvement over the current system based on a single roll.

Let's hear it.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular
3 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Let's hear it.

So basically instead of being based on fleet cost and size, every ship would have a basic Attack and HP stat.

I. E. A gozanti flotilla would have attack: 1 hp:1

And to resolve combat the GM gathers a number of d6 equal the combined attack value of each fleet, he then roles the attack and for every 5-6 (this number might change after I test more) the attack does 1 damage. Damage would still be assigned randomly by the GM.

I. E. A fleet with combined attack of 10, would roll 10 dice, then might get three 5s and 6s, causing 3 HP damage to the enemy fleet. The enemy fleet would make its own attack as well.

Benifits of this system: more straightforward, less complex math involved.

Also it would be less extreme, no rolling a 1 and suddenly your entire fleet disappeared without a fight. This way there would almost always be cuasilties on both sides.

Also keeping track of the size of the fleet would matter less.

This will also devalue the hanger space a little bit, since the Strength of a ship won't be directly attached to the cost (I found myself ignoring alot of Ships because I could get a similar value one with more hanger space)

Cons: added booking keeping of keeping track of HP (but honestly it wouldn't be any harder then keeping tracked of scarred ships IMO)

Would need to be balanced well, I have a basic formula worked out to cost things approximately, but I will need some more time to test a bit.

@The Jabbawookie in his lair somewhere:

https://imgflip.com/i/38quci

Edit: joking aside, I do think there may be some balance issues here.

Edited by FortyInRed
being less of a jerk
13 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

So basically instead of being based on fleet cost and size, every ship would have a basic Attack and HP stat.

And to resolve combat the GM gathers a number of d6 equal the combined attack value of each fleet, he then roles the attack and for every 5-6 (this number might change after I test more) the attack does 1 damage. Damage would still be assigned randomly by the GM.

I. E. A fleet with combined attack of 10, would roll 10 dice, then might get three 5s and 6s, causing 3 HP damage to the enemy fleet. The enemy fleet would make its own attack as well.

I would like to see where this goes.

I had proposed something similar earlier, here is a fleshed out version:

• Every ship has HP equal to it's cost.
  • For every 50 points, you can roll one attack dice (d6). Multiply the result by 10, treating "6" as "0". That's how much damage you do to the opponents fleet.

This helps limit the damage fleets do to no more than their total combined HP. Either way, I like using "attack dice" and would be open to exploring opportunities.

I too dislike watching my entire fleet evaporate because of a single bad roll, which just so happens to have happened to me twice in the last game. In the span of three turns, I watched an invasion fleet disappear in battles that if memory serves, I had a larger force.

Edited by FortyInRed
1 hour ago, clontroper5 said:

The following is similar to what clon suggests, but a slightly different take:

Have any of you played the Galeforce 9's game Tanks ? In it, each tank has x amount of attack dice, health, and defence dice. In an attack, the attacker rolls the attack dice, and only 4-6 counts as hits. The defender rolls his defence dice, and 4-6s counter the equivalent number of attacking 4-6 results. There is some extra rules about the significance of the number and in what order they are cancelled, but I think the system overall is similar to the one you propose.

Now, attack and defence dice can be annoying (see, from what I hear, X-Wing) but the principle of attacking with x amount of dice and having only certain results count makes sense. We could either have defence dice, which makes battles a little more complected for the GM but not for the players, or just attack dice and compensate for the lack of defence dice with less numbers counting (only 6s?). If so, we can then add boosts, e.g. for Warships 5s also count.

1 hour ago, FortyInRed said:

This. So much this.

Alternatively...

Has anyone read the Rommel rules? It has an "Operations Board" that players dedicate dice to various aspects to, hoping to make things happen. More dice, more chance of thing happening, but then you arnt doing the other things.

33 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Alternatively...

Has anyone read the Rommel rules? It has an "Operations Board" that players dedicate dice to various aspects to, hoping to make things happen. More dice, more chance of thing happening, but then you arnt doing the other things.

I have seen similar systems, however I think to implement somthing like that here would require a complete rework of our system.

2 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

I think this is the first time I've been mentioned in a meme; I am honored!

Processing.

I suggest the following immediate "patches" if we keep the game going:

Warship bonus maxes at 3.

Clone troopers gain +1 on the attack to the highest dice only (like in Castle Risk with the General card). So while attacking a roll of 6, 4, and 2 would be 7, 4, and 2.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, LTD said:

I suggest the following immediate "patches" if we keep the game going:

Warship bonus maxes at 3.

Clone troopers gain +1 on the attack to the highest dice only (like in Castle Risk with the General card). So while attacking a roll of 6, 4, and 2 would be 7, 4, and 2.

Thoughts?

We can roll with that, if people want.

The only problem is that the Republic would have no reason to go beyond 451 points worth of stuff. . .

Warship bonuses max--makes sense.

If clones lose on ties but don't have a +1 on every die, they would SUCK at defending, and droids would win 90% of their invasions. It would be a reverse situation. I'd rather just make it the same cost for GF and same ability for both sides.
Or maybe LTD's rule only applies while clones are attacking, but they win on ties while defending--I just don't know if clones would be worth 1.5 times the cost. (The only time that would be relevant is when both sides roll a 6.) Maybe 10 point clones/ 8 point droids.

52 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

The only problem is that the Republic would have no reason to go beyond 451 points worth of stuff. . .

People tried to get close to 500 in previous games, even though it didn't give a "bonus" beyond 410ish. The reason is because if the battle is a "tie" (one side is 500, the other is 451, a 7 is rolled) the larger fleet wins.

Lose on ties is normal for attacking in risk. They would still win on ties in defence.

Ok so I am thinking of creating (and possibly modding) a setup using my proposed combat system, if i did what Era would you guys perfer? Galactic Civil war or clone wars? heck i could Star trek as well

would you like another team game? (that's what im leaning towards)

any other thoughts so i can get working on finalizing the setup?

also how interested would you be in another game?

@LTD ,

@Bertie Wooster

@GhostofNobodyInParticular

@The Jabbawookie

@FortyInRed

@Matt3412

@Ling27

@Npmartian

I’m game for just about anything.

8 hours ago, LTD said:

Lose on ties is normal for attacking in risk. They would still win on ties in defence.

That's fine.

Halo...

Im down for anything though.

Are we still playing the current game though? I'd like to finish it (with patches) but I'm not sure what the consensus is.

36 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Are we still playing the current game though? I'd like to finish it (with patches) but I'm not sure what the consensus is.

I am planning on finishing this game, I just want to get a head start on creating the next one haha