Question about ammo lost with Weapon Jams

By Volt875, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hey all. So it says you lose all ammo in the weapon when you clear the jam. So is that just the bullet in the chamber or all ammo in the clip? Just ask cause it's not making sense to me that the ammo just disappears.

I think the same thing,with an sp weapon you don't lose your ammo when the weapon jams,but with a melta or las weapon?

it's impossible to have a bullet locked in the weapon so it's some other sort of problem,in this case it's possible and even "realistic" that you have to lose all the "ammo" in the clip.

Volt875 said:

Hey all. So it says you lose all ammo in the weapon when you clear the jam. So is that just the bullet in the chamber or all ammo in the clip? Just ask cause it's not making sense to me that the ammo just disappears.

By the RAW, all ammo becomes useless (not necessarily disappearing). If that doesn't seem sensical to you, perhaps an explanation of what happens in a sp weapon jam is needed:

When a gun jams, the bullets being fed into the chamber misaligned. This misalignment combined with the higher then normal temperatures of a rapidly firing solid projectile weapon has a tendency of creating non-Euclidean angles within the firing chamber causing the 23rd and 28th dimensions to briefly overlap driving the ammunition irrevocably insane and unfit for combat.

I hope that helps make sense of this rule.

cpt.catarro said:

I think the same thing,with an sp weapon you don't lose your ammo when the weapon jams,but with a melta or las weapon?

it's impossible to have a bullet locked in the weapon so it's some other sort of problem,in this case it's possible and even "realistic" that you have to lose all the "ammo" in the clip.

Weapon jammed result and the Las: Minor mis-alignment of the focusing lenses. Remove the clip, hits the "realign" button, say your prayer to appease the weapon spirit, reclip, activate and hope it fires. You lose one shot.

Melta: Gas leak at interface between canister and weapon. Cut the supply of chem to the weapon, remove canister, check rim of canister for foreign objects (dust, particulates, etc) wipe coupling ring, re-attach canister, say your prayer, engage gas feed, try firing weapon again. You lose one shot.

Considering the low clip capacity on Meltas of any type, I think it's just a bit overboard to say the weapon lost it's entire loadout simply because of a misfire.

For Las weapons of any type, you might be able to get away with stealing one or two shots for the clip capacity though...

Lol,nice explaination ;)

now i know how to do to unjam my las and melta gun :D

According to the rules , you waste an entire clip. I'd assume a skilled techpriest (or perhaps even veteran guardsman) might salvage parts of it, but for the near future, your only recourse is to load a new one.

Which is kinda aggravating if you're using backpack supplies or expensive bolter ammo. Better get Reliable weapons, in which case illithid's explanation applies - you (usually) only waste the one shot and can set your weapon straight with nearly no maintenance.

Graver said:

Volt875 said:

By the RAW, all ammo becomes useless (not necessarily disappearing). If that doesn't seem sensical to you, perhaps an explanation of what happens in a sp weapon jam is needed:

When a gun jams, the bullets being fed into the chamber misaligned. This misalignment combined with the higher then normal temperatures of a rapidly firing solid projectile weapon has a tendency of creating non-Euclidean angles within the firing chamber causing the 23rd and 28th dimensions to briefly overlap driving the ammunition irrevocably insane and unfit for combat.

I hope that helps make sense of this rule.

:D

I'm sure you could recover the ammunition and with the correct blessings and rites, return it to service.