[Ruling] Disguised keyword

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

I'll add a number of rulings related to Disguised.

If I have Embrace the Void attached to a character with fate, can I use Embrace the Void to interrupt the transfer of fate during a Disguise play in order to move the fate to my pool?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

If I have Embrace the Void attached to a character with fate, can I use Embrace the Void to interrupt the transfer of fate during a Disguise play in order to move the fate to my pool?

Yes, if a non-unique character has an Embrace the Void attached and a unique character is disguised off of them, Embrace the Void can be used to take the fate before it is moved.

[Tyler Parrott, Jul 23 2019]

Edited by Bayushi Shunsuke

1) If an attachment can't be attached to the disguised character, will it remain attached to the original character until they leave play or is it discarded immediately? Will it be attached to the disguised character then fall off? As an example, I use disguised Shosuro Miyako to replace my Crisis Breaker with a Wicked Tetsubo attached.

2) I have a Brash Samurai with Seal of the Crane and Iaijutsu Master attached to it and use Shosuro Miyako's Disguise ability, choosing the Brash Samurai. Will Iaijutsu Master move to Miyako along with the Seal?

3) Are reactions to the disguised character being played and entering play held until the entire Disguise process has been completed?

4) I trigger the Disguise ability of my character and choose a character that is currently participating in a conflict. Am I forced to play the disguised character in the conflict or can I decide to play it at home?

5) Can I choose a character that can't be discarded as part of playing a character with Disguise? e.g. a Student of War that currently has composure.

6) Steward of Law is participating in a conflict and I use Disguise to replace one of my dishonoured characters. Will the dishonour token be moved to the disguised character entering play?

1) If an attachment can't be attached to the disguised character, will it remain attached to the original character until they leave play or is it discarded immediately? Will it be attached to the disguised character then fall off? As an example, I use disguised Shosuro Miyako to replace my Crisis Breaker with a Wicked Tetsubo attached.

The attachment will be moved and immediately discarded.

2) I have a Brash Samurai with Seal of the Crane and Iaijutsu Master attached to it and use Shosuro Miyako's Disguise ability, choosing the Brash Samurai. Will Iaijutsu Master move to Miyako along with the Seal?

Yes, all the attachments move simultaneously so the Iaijutsu Master will always see Seal of the Crane as being attached.

3) Are reactions to the disguised character being played and entering play held until the entire Disguise process has been completed?

Yes, reactions to a disguised character being played wait for the entire process to complete.

4) I trigger the Disguise ability of my character and choose a character that is currently participating in a conflict. Am I forced to play the disguised character in the conflict or can I decide to play it at home?

You can decide to play the character at home if you disguise off of a participating character.

5) Can I choose a character that can't be discarded as part of playing a character with Disguise? e.g. a Student of War that currently has composure.

You cannot disguise off of a Student of War with composure, as you cannot discard them.

6) Steward of Law is participating in a conflict and I use Disguise to replace one of my dishonoured characters. Will the dishonour token be moved to the disguised character entering play?

The dishonor token will not be moved because Steward of Law prevents the movement of dishonored status tokens.

[Tyler Parrott, May 1 2019]

When playing a character using the disguised keyword, you may play that character during the conflict phase, following all timing rules which apply to playing characters from hand.
Is this sentence in the RRG restricting you to only being able to use the Disguised keyword during the conflict phase?
Or is it a permission that allows you to play the character outside of normal timing, in addition to the normal timing?

When playing a character using the disguised keyword, you may play that character during the conflict phase, following all timing rules which apply to playing characters from hand.
Is this sentence in the RRG restricting you to only being able to use the Disguised keyword during the conflict phase?
Or is it a permission that allows you to play the character outside of normal timing, in addition to the normal timing?

With the disguised keyword, you can only play the character during the conflict phase. (You can play them normally during the timing windows appropriate for that card.)

[Tyler Parrott, Aug 28 2019]

Will Toshi Ranbo add 1 fate to a character played via Disguise from Toshi Ranbo?

Will Toshi Ranbo add 1 fate to a character played via Disguise from Toshi Ranbo?

Toshi Ranbo will add 1 fate to a character played via Disguised if they are played from that province. They are still played from the province, but the Disguised keyword alters when you are allowed to play them.

[Tyler Parrott, Sep 5 2019]