Combat

By Marten, in StarCraft

So I played StarCraft for about 15 hours yesterday. Had two games (non of them finished but we had new players in both of them, and the second game was with 5 players).I think we did a lot of mistakes, most having to do with combat. I feel most other things are pretty easy (except I'm still to build Archon/Dark Archon). I can't seem to get combat fully down and I don't know where to read. Can I ignore Brood War rulebook when it comes to combat?

With limited plays (I might have played a total of 20 games ever, most of them 6 years ago) take what I say with a grain of salt (a HUGE grain).
First of, Kerrigan choice of leadership cards for stage 1 feels really strong. Both the Z-axis but maybe even more getting 2 bases feels really powerful. Maybe you just have to jump her early?

2nd, is there anyone who would be willing to go through numerous combats so I can really understand how combat cards/reinforcement, but even more so how Assist/support units work. Can these be killed other than by splash damage? Does assist units and support units stay even if you kill the FLU or do they stay to defend so that I as attack has retreat? I have so many questions, and also I lot of stuff I don't know so I cant't actually ask them.

Thanks in advance