A few rules queries from a new player.

By Bob Smith2, in Anima: Tactics

Hi all!

I played my first game of this last night at 145 points and have a good number of questions (our group has one rulebook at the moment which I don't have access to now.)

Firstly - what are the rules regarding Leaders and so on? I bought Romeo Exxet to add to my 145 point force of Daniella Meris, Luzbell and Claire Adelheid - which would bring it to 220 points - is that enough, or do I need more ordinary dudes before I can field him?

My next question is regarding whether this is how an attack works:

1) Roll 1d10+Attack against target's Defence

2) Target may spend 2AP to Dodge or 3AP to Counter, in which case they roll 1d10+Defence.

3) Work out how much you hit by. 10s auto-hit but with 0 degrees of success if you don't beat their defence.

4) Inflict damage equal to your Damage + Degrees of Success - Target's Armour.

Thirdly, how does Gnosis work? It says you roll an extra dice, if I recall - do you add the dice or just pick the better one? If it's the former, then a Gnosis-boosted attack with +5 Damage like Claire's Nuala is basically an instant kill on anything that isn't wearing loads of armour or has loads of health.

Fourthly, when you use an attack which claims to have all models within 2" or whatever "suffer the attack," how do you resolve it? Do you apply the same hit to every target (so a 3 degree of success hit against the initial target would be counted as the same strength against all targets), compare the same roll against all targets' Defence (so a roll of, say, 14 would be compared against all defences) or roll separately for each possible target?

Thanks in advance for the explanation - I'm a new player and would appreciate having these rules cleaned up.

Bob Smith said:

Hi all!

I played my first game of this last night at 145 points and have a good number of questions (our group has one rulebook at the moment which I don't have access to now.)

Firstly - what are the rules regarding Leaders and so on? I bought Romeo Exxet to add to my 145 point force of Daniella Meris, Luzbell and Claire Adelheid - which would bring it to 220 points - is that enough, or do I need more ordinary dudes before I can field him?

My next question is regarding whether this is how an attack works:

1) Roll 1d10+Attack against target's Defence

2) Target may spend 2AP to Dodge or 3AP to Counter, in which case they roll 1d10+Defence.

3) Work out how much you hit by. 10s auto-hit but with 0 degrees of success if you don't beat their defence.

4) Inflict damage equal to your Damage + Degrees of Success - Target's Armour.

Thirdly, how does Gnosis work? It says you roll an extra dice, if I recall - do you add the dice or just pick the better one? If it's the former, then a Gnosis-boosted attack with +5 Damage like Claire's Nuala is basically an instant kill on anything that isn't wearing loads of armour or has loads of health.

Fourthly, when you use an attack which claims to have all models within 2" or whatever "suffer the attack," how do you resolve it? Do you apply the same hit to every target (so a 3 degree of success hit against the initial target would be counted as the same strength against all targets), compare the same roll against all targets' Defence (so a roll of, say, 14 would be compared against all defences) or roll separately for each possible target?

Thanks in advance for the explanation - I'm a new player and would appreciate having these rules cleaned up.

You decide in advance what level of game you are playing. You need to be playing a 250 point game at least to use a leader. If you decide to bring fewer characters than max you can make up the difference with advantage cards or just leave it empty. Also remember that for your point total for the game you get 10% as a bonus to spend exclusively on advantage cards (in a 250 point game you get an extra 25 points to spend just on advantage cards if you want).

First off, Dodge only costs 1 AP. Gnosis adds 1 die to your roll, picking the "best" of the dice you roll. If you Gnosised a Charge you'd get 3 dice, pick the best, as a Charge gets 2 dice base anyway. You declare your intent to attack and pay the points and whether you're using gnosis, they declare their intent to dodge and whether they're using gnosis then you start to roll. That's very important :) (no saving your point from attacks that missed!) Otherwise you've got it.

If an attack says it goes against "all" units, then you only roll 1 die. If it says it goes against "each" enemy unit, you roll for each target separately. In the first instance for a Melee area of effect, you declare your attack, pay the points and whether you'll Gnosis, then they declare who is Dodging, pay the points and who is going to Gnosis. The attacker determines the order always in which to resolve the attacks. For a Ranged area of effect (since all of them require you to hit the first target), they get to decide whether they're dodging with the other characters or not after the first one has been hit. The "all" or "each" distinction is important because hidden characters can't be targeted by attacks, but will be hit by AoEs if there's another valid target there, whereas attacks that say "each" target every character individually.

A lot to absorb, let me know if I need to clarify anything :)

Cannerus said:

You decide in advance what level of game you are playing. You need to be playing a 250 point game at least to use a leader. If you decide to bring fewer characters than max you can make up the difference with advantage cards or just leave it empty. Also remember that for your point total for the game you get 10% as a bonus to spend exclusively on advantage cards (in a 250 point game you get an extra 25 points to spend just on advantage cards if you want).

First off, Dodge only costs 1 AP. Gnosis adds 1 die to your roll, picking the "best" of the dice you roll. If you Gnosised a Charge you'd get 3 dice, pick the best, as a Charge gets 2 dice base anyway. You declare your intent to attack and pay the points and whether you're using gnosis, they declare their intent to dodge and whether they're using gnosis then you start to roll. That's very important :) (no saving your point from attacks that missed!) Otherwise you've got it.

If an attack says it goes against "all" units, then you only roll 1 die. If it says it goes against "each" enemy unit, you roll for each target separately. In the first instance for a Melee area of effect, you declare your attack, pay the points and whether you'll Gnosis, then they declare who is Dodging, pay the points and who is going to Gnosis. The attacker determines the order always in which to resolve the attacks. For a Ranged area of effect (since all of them require you to hit the first target), they get to decide whether they're dodging with the other characters or not after the first one has been hit. The "all" or "each" distinction is important because hidden characters can't be targeted by attacks, but will be hit by AoEs if there's another valid target there, whereas attacks that say "each" target every character individually.

A lot to absorb, let me know if I need to clarify anything :)

Thanks for the explanation! We must have got Dodge mixed up with something else - and that makes sense now as to why Luzbell's special dodge costs 2.

That makes the game a lot clearer.

Glad to help. Post anymore questions you have hear or at animaforum.edgeent.com whenever it decides to stop having server errors :P