To clone, or not to clone?

By Xcapobl, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

But the FFG RPG police will get you....

12 hours ago, Rimsen said:

And they can have it their way. As others can do as they please.

Unless you are a player who believes in re-flavoring and have a DM that doesn't. Then you're just frustrated. Speaking for a friend...

Give the iconic characters from the films special gear and PCs will just have another reason to kill them and take their stuff.

6 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

Unless you are a player who believes in re-flavoring and have a DM that doesn't. Then you're just frustrated. Speaking for a friend...

When you sit at someones table, you have to accept the social contract, that the GM has the final saying in everything. If it's not acceptable, you should leave, because it only makes things bad for you and the whole table

On 7/17/2019 at 10:12 AM, KungFuFerret said:

I'm not a fan of crunch in general, as that's not why I play roleplaying games. So diving into that depth of min/maxing or whatever, never really appeals to me. But I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to this mindset with gaming, especially among Star Wars fans.

I used to feel that way, until I started playing Shadowbane a pvp only MMO back in the day. There's something extremely satisfying about min/maxing a character build and pwning someone when their farming. Elven Bladeweaviing Warrior or Elven blade weaving melee thief with procing blade weaving swords or Nephalim Wizards with the endurance draining bolt so they can fly indefinitely, or Centaur Priests specializing in group heals and mana regeneration and a stun so they can run away, or Iraki Bards with the class bow.

Edited by Eoen
11 hours ago, Eoen said:

I used to feel that way, until I started playing Shadowbane a pvp only MMO back in the day. There's something extremely satisfying about min/maxing a character build and pwning someone when their farming. Elven Bladeweaviing Warrior or Elven blade weaving melee thief with procing blade weaving swords or Nephalim Wizards with the endurance draining bolt so they can fly indefinitely, or Centaur Priests specializing in group heals and mana regeneration and a stun so they can run away, or Iraki Bards with the class bow.

That's cool, to each their own. I personally don't like PVP in games, as I just don't really like direct person conflict in general. I know how frustrating it makes me to get PK'd by some blender rogue, and I dislike making someone else feel that way. I prefer cooperative stuff so that no actual humans get ticked off at the other humans for being a "total PK a-hole". If the game is nothing but PVP, it's a little different, like Planetside or something similar. But for the most part I just dislike the toxicity it generates in the average player. I find, at least from my personal experience, that coop games (even FPS ones like Payday 2, Left 4 Dead, etc) are way less in the way of toxic behavior, because it's Us vs Them, with the Them being the AI.

That's separate from my dislike of crunch and mechanics in gaming in general though. I get that a lot of gamers, both digital and table are massive number nerds, and love to "math their way to victory", and enjoy having the biggest numbers, but to me, for the most part (especially with table top gaming), the numbers are just a mechanic, literally, to tell the story. They're not the end-goal for why I'm playing. And I've seen too many characters made by other people at my gaming tables, that are basically just a hollow combat monkey, with zero actual character to them. Which is fine for an MMO, but not for a gaming table, at least not mine.

It's actually kind of funny, when I've asked other players at my table, after they've described all the ways their PC can ginsu up a target. "Ok, so what is his father's name?" *blank stare, rising panic* "Uh..." Me: "Why is he traveling around the world, getting into adventures?" *face goes pale* Me:"What is the name of the place he grew up?" *sweat beading forehead* Me: "Who does he care about in the world?" *passes out from anxiety*

To me, an over-emphasis on the mechanics, detracts from the point that they are simply there to facilitate a story and an adventure. Not the end themselves.

Going to necro, as I was about to make a similar post. Going over the human vice clone species stats... Clone is basically human, but they spent the two +1 skills for you into Knowledge (Warfare) and Resilience. Then the 10 XP disappears from the Starting XP and goes into the Physical Training talent. They also get +1 to Strain and Wound threshold, so maybe the talent math was 5 XP and the two ST/WT points count as 5 XP worth as well?

Going by that guide, when I am going to make a clone species for a different species, I think moving their freebie skill ranks into something they are bred for would be the easiest. Also bump their ST/WT too maybe. By taking 10 off of their Starting XP and making similar changes, of course.

Edited by SuperWookie
5 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

Going to necro, as I was about to make a similar post. Going over the human vice clone species stats... Clone is basically human, but they spent the two +1 skills for you into Knowledge (Warfare) and Resilience. Then the 10 XP disappears from the Starting XP and goes into the Physical Training talent. They also get +1 to Strain and Wound threshold, so maybe the talent math was 5 XP and the two ST/WT points count as 5 XP worth as well?

Going by that guide, when I am going to make a clone species for a different species, I think moving their freebie skill ranks into something they are bred for would be the easiest. Also bump their ST/WT too maybe. By taking 10 off of their Starting XP and making similar changes, of course.

I don't know.

The Grand Army Of The Republic Clone Troopers are not exactly pure clones. They're clones with extra enhancements and built-in training to make them perfect soldiers. They are low-key genetically engineered supersoldiers.

Boba Fett is also a clone, but he's a pure, regular clone, an identical copy of Jango, so I would say he'd use regular Mandalorian for species instead of Clone.

55 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

The Grand Army Of The Republic Clone Troopers are not exactly pure clones. They're clones with extra enhancements and built-in training to make them perfect soldiers. They are low-key genetically engineered supersoldiers.

The minion stats for them just have increased characteristic values. All of the clones better than that is listed as a rival or nemesis and would be equivalent to higher XP total PC anyways.

53 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Boba Fett is also a clone, but he's a pure, regular clone, an identical copy of Jango, so I would say he'd use regular Mandalorian for species instead of Clone.

Even with Human (Mandalorian) as the base, the points are similar enough that I am comfortable using the math I mentioned if I ever want to do clones.