Building a Geonosis battlefield

By JBar, in Terrain Building

Hey if you're interested Sorastro has a video on his youtube page for how to do Genosian terrain that might help inspire you further! It looks great keep up the good work!

Another update. I wanted to add one more piece of difficult terrain and light cover to the board. While I was at it, I made a more detailed guide to my terrain process:

1. I cut out 1/8" sign board into the basing shapes I wanted using a scalpel (always cut away from your body!). Then I simply hot glued on the big rocks

6Uq1fqml.jpg

2. I used some Elmer's glue to glue one some smaller rocks in random areas. I used smaller, flatter rocks for the light cover piece so that it would be more flat for miniatures to walk along. The difficult terrain piece will be filled with putty so it won't matter that the rocks are bigger, stick up, and are in the way.

tJE97LEl.jpg

3. You can use any sort of putty or paper mache here. I used some paper mache I found at Michaels where you just add water and it dries solid. I only filled the base for the difficult terrain. I let this dry for at least a day. While it is drying, you might want to bend the base here and there so that it dries flat. Paper mache shrinks slightly as it dries.

zErrPQAl.jpg

4. I made a tin foil plate and mixed sand, Elmer's glue, and some water to make a paste. I smeared this all over the bases

tA4f9qGl.jpg

1DBAXipl.jpg

RnNwk1Al.jpg

b4odDf7l.jpg

5. Once dry, I added some more Elmer's glue in areas concentrated around the big rocks. I sprinkled larger grains of sand in those areas. Lastly, I soaked a brush full of Elmer's glue and water and dabbed it all over the sand so that it would seal and harden

wITLDdQl.jpg

hf3GhIAl.jpg

6. On to the painting. I waited a day for all this to dry on a flat surface. Every now and then I would bend the bases so that they dry flat. If anything cracked while I bent them, I just refilled the cracks with more glue and sand. I sprayed the bases with Rustoleum Spiced Amber. I found out that if you don't spray the bases, it will be very hard to paint all the little porous holes that the sand creates. I think any orange or red color will work. I chose this color because it's all I had. Let this dry for at least a day (I got away with 2 hours but a day is smarter)

PI5hmlyl.jpg

8. I put a heavy layer or two of Craft Smart's French Wine found at Michael's. Generally, I use the premium paints that Craft Smart offers because I think they're more durable for a few more cents. I filled any hard to get areas with a little Agrax Earthshade.

tnGA8rNl.jpg

7. Next, I used a heavy drybrush of Liquitex Red Oxide. Michael's is going out of stock of this product, but I found that Craft Smart's Burnt Orange is the same color also found at Michaels. Don't go too heavy or you will lose some depth of the previous layer. I used a paper towel to soak up some of the paint on the brush.

N2Q5woUl.jpg

8. Then I did a LIGHT drybrush of Naples Yellow Hue (I actually mixed this with Red Oxide for an extra in second drybrush layer but that step is optional). I can't stress the word "light" enough. This is a bright highlight and it can be really easy to over do it. Use plenty of paper towels to soak up 95% of the paint on the brush. I wiped the brush against my hand and if any paint rubbed off at all, there was too much paint on the brush. Brush this all over the bases a couple times over, especially in the raised areas.

9. Finally Spray the bases with a sealant so that it doesn't chip. I used Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel. Always use the same brand of sealant as any spray paint you used or the paint might bubble. I sprayed this stuff with a light mist three times, waiting two minutes in between each layer.

10. Done!

JOlLnOTl.jpg

uzGTfbil.jpg

loXPU1cl.jpg

So, looking at my terrain, I'm really happy with it, but I don't think it has enough iconic Geonocian spires. I think I'm going to make some more spires, but if I do I'll have enough terrain for either two boards at once, or plenty of terrain variance which is also good for mixing things up. So here are my plans: I found two great sites that make 3d printed spires. I could make my own, but I'm kinda finished cutting foam haha. I found some great 3d prints from Imperial Terrain and Etsy:

Imperial Terrain

kb8u2lnm.png

Fun Board Games Etsy

Line of sight blockers

gCQz8qPm.jpg

Some barricades to replace the core set

ze97dCRm.jpg xKSDL6Qm.jpg

And I just found another Etsy page called Low Country 3d Printing

zZGTwbtm.jpg

I'm on a budget with my miniatures so I'll have to save up for a month or two, but my plan is after I get these I'll use a painting similar to my previous post. I'll probably add a heavy glue/filler coat over this terrain to fill the 3d print lines. The painting process will be the same

Edited by JBar
6 hours ago, JBar said:

So, looking at my terrain, I'm really happy with it, but I don't think it has enough iconic Geonocian spires. I think I'm going to make some more spires, but if I do I'll have enough terrain for either two boards at once, or plenty of terrain variance which is also good for mixing things up. So here are my plans: I found two great sites that make 3d printed spires. I could make my own, but I'm kinda finished cutting foam haha. I found some great 3d prints from Imperial Terrain and Etsy:

Imperial Terrain

kb8u2lnm.png

Fun Board Games Etsy

Line of sight blockers

gCQz8qPm.jpg

Some barricades to replace the core set

ze97dCRm.jpg xKSDL6Qm.jpg

And I just found another Etsy page called Low Country 3d Printing

zZGTwbtm.jpg

I'm on a budget with my miniatures so I'll have to save up for a month or two, but my plan is after I get these I'll use a painting similar to my previous post. I'll probably add a heavy glue/filler coat over this terrain to fill the 3d print lines. The painting process will be the same

Wow, these are the 3 places i recently went to as I construct my Geonosis board in prep for CW release. All three have been amazing print and though i didn't print too much from low country, really liked their pillars. I've followed this thread for a while and love the color palette, so snagged it for my board. I'll throw up pics once i get it all painted up.

@JBar Your Galactic Marines look awesome! The terrain looks like it's turning out nicely. You should try making some canyon's and put the wing in there, or make a mountain hangar/base and put the wing piece on the mountain. It'll maybe make it look nicer.

As I've mentioned earlier, I decided to get more spire-looking terrain pieces to make it look more specific to Geonosis. My plan is to use some plaster putty like I did with the other terrain to fill the print lines. Then I'll slap one some glue/water/sand mixture to seal in the putty. I'm going to go very light on the sand to keep the detail. By the way, I found these on Etsy:

Fun Board Games

Low Country 3d Printing

betp4TBl.jpg

Edited by JBar

Big update! I'm super happy with how these 3d printed items are turning out. I wanted to add a few more line of sight blockers and light cover. I put some plaster on the spires and sanded them down. I again added my normal glue, water, and sand mixture (with less sand this time) and painted them like usual. I still have a lot of leftover spires that I'm using to make some combined terrain features. Next is to add the usual, filler, rocks, sand, glue, and paint, like usual.

Q90JkXTm.jpg KyyNO6Um.jpg

My work in progess. The one with the stairs has a little cave for a mini to hide in. (By the way, hot glue works great for all this)

5sgOGxdl.jpg

Here is an update with everything and the stand alone spires. In my opinion it makes things look waaay better. It much more resembles Geonosis and seems less like there is random blobs of terrain. They spires really blend it all together. I can't wait for my final three pieces to be added.

pRtsqtDl.jpg

Edited by JBar

is there a tutoring video on how to make terrain from random things in your house?

3 hours ago, TIE wing said:

is there a tutoring video on how to make terrain from random things in your house?

I haven't made any videos but I get a lot of inspiration from The Terrain Tutor on Youtube

I'm so happy with how the new stuff turned out! I think I'm finally done. I'll get a photo of the whole board put together

vK0mcZxl.jpg

dzlMtaml.jpg

8f2cgiWl.jpg

mumn8pYl.jpg

bK9Pb2Hl.jpg

vh3Yug8l.jpg

Love it, was looking for some inspiration for area/light cover terrain.

Great idea clustering the smaller pieces together on one board.

Agreed. Very nice!

Here are some pics of the updated terrain all put together.

h7k2b3Xl.jpg?1

0mHLA7Ql.jpg

qQna89hl.jpg

RL6KJoGl.jpg?1

A breakdown of the terrain groupings:

Height 2 terrain: Difficult terrain: Heavy cover:

BKacykdm.jpg u0WmG0jm.jpg?1 Zf38qsDm.jpg

LOS blocking "high ground" terrain: LOS blocking: Light cover:

t0kv64nm.jpg bs64g7Cm.jpg HvLzJy1m.jpg

LOS blocking and light cover:

FGvlFTwm.jpg

Edited by JBar

Any chance I could pay one of y'all to make a custom Geonosis battlefield for me? I recently bought the Star Wars Legion clone set and am very interested in the work above.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, Cpt.Squiggly said:

Any chance I could pay one of y'all to make a custom Geonosis battlefield for me? I recently bought the Star Wars Legion clone set and am very interested in the work above.

I'm glad you like it. Unfortunately for me at least, I barely have time to paint and build the stuff I already own. You might be able to find someone who can build you stuff from the same stl files

On 9/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, Cpt.Squiggly said:

Contact Wright Terrain Studio He did my Geonosis terrain.

LaLIj9B.jpg

SaxjH9d.jpg

mnuDzJq.jpg

He does amazing work at a really reasonable price.