Spending fame

By neosmagus, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

I stopped at a planet on my first turn and the encounter card I drew offered me to buy a ship for free after spending a reputation point (which I could) but it also required me to lose fame which at that point I had 0.

Could I have purchased the ship, can you spend fame (or for that matter, repution) for a reward if you are at 0 (or negative reputation)?

I could not find any rule that said I couldn't, usually FFG rules make a point of specifying you can't spend if you are at 0. I could only find a rule that said if you lose fame when you're at 0, it stays at 0.

8 hours ago, neosmagus said:

I stopped at a planet on my first turn and the encounter card I drew offered me to buy a ship for free after spending a reputation point (which I could) but it also required me to lose fame which at that point I had 0.

Could I have purchased the ship, can you spend fame (or for that matter, repution) for a reward if you are at 0 (or negative reputation)?

I could not find any rule that said I couldn't, usually FFG rules make a point of specifying you can't spend if you are at 0. I could only find a rule that said if you lose fame when you're at 0, it stays at 0.

If an ability uses the word “to,” a player must completely resolve
the effect that occurs before the word “to,” in order to resolve
the effect that occurs after the word “to.”
Example: If an ability allows a player to lose 1 Hutt reputation
to gain 1 fame, that player cannot gain the fame if they already
have negative Hutt reputation.

Pg 17 of the rules reference

Depends on the wording of the card, but most of them follow this. Aka - no fame to lose then you can't complete the requirements to purchase the ship.

10 hours ago, jddilfer said:

If an ability uses the word “to,” a player must completely resolve
the effect that occurs before the word “to,” in order to resolve
the effect that occurs after the word “to.”
Example: If an ability allows a player to lose 1 Hutt reputation
to gain 1 fame, that player cannot gain the fame if they already
have negative Hutt reputation.

Pg 17 of the rules reference

Depends on the wording of the card, but most of them follow this. Aka - no fame to lose then you can't complete the requirements to purchase the ship.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I was looking in the index under fame.