Making a Jedi with Knight Level xp

By GroggyGolem, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

20 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The deal is looping back into Padawan for the cheap FR. Thematically, it wouldn't make a ton of sense.

My two cents, just make it so the FR talent in Padawan doesn't give any benefit when the player used QPtP.

I misspoke. I meant taking the QPtP when starting as a Padawan, not looping back.

I guess I'm just asking why some GMs might be against it. Is it really power-gaming to get one more Force die instead of increasing another characteristic? Honest question, since I've only GM'd, and not with Jedi PCs.

Just now, StriderZessei said:

I misspoke. I meant taking the QPtP when starting as a Padawan, not looping back.

I guess I'm just asking why some GMs might be against it. Is it really power-gaming to get one more Force die instead of increasing another characteristic? Honest question, since I've only GM'd, and not with Jedi PCs.

Ah. I don't think it's RAW to use QPtP when starting as Padawan. I'm pretty sure it's only an option for Knight and General.

13 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Ah. I don't think it's RAW to use QPtP when starting as Padawan. I'm pretty sure it's only an option for Knight and General.

You are correct.

The thing I don't get about Short Path to Power is, the guidance starts out very explicitly saying, "This is so you can create a Jedi PC using the Collapse book, alone." Great, I guess can see that. But then at the end it's like, "Oh, you could do this with Knight too." (not in Collapse ). That complicates it.

I don't understand why they created this stand-alone, unprecedented bit of guidance when there's nothing about General that warrants the 2 FR gate-keeping - it's not that great of a Spec - other than it's narrative status.

There's no gate-keeping to being a Clone Commander or Veteran. Yet they convey a similar narrative status of "experienced" character.

Why isn't the guidance just, "Hey, you can wave the Force Rating 2 requirement, for General, if you want." And leave it at that?

They didn't need to bring in Knight (and whether Knight or Master need the mechanical gate-keeping is also debatable/to be called "Knight" and "Master"), they didn't need to create this easy Force Rating boost option.

It's all just so unnecessary.

That's why I don't like it.

There's a better way to do any of it. Including and primarily Heroic Starts.

It's just pointless and dumb. As in: lacking in intelligence or good judgement. Never gonna allow it in a campaign I run. Absolutely no good reason for it.

12 minutes ago, emsquared said:

The thing I don't get about Short Path to Power is, the guidance starts out very explicitly saying, "This is so you can create a Jedi PC using the Collapse book, alone." Great, I guess can see that. But then at the end it's like, "Oh, you could do this with Knight too." (not in Collapse ). That complicates it.

Hmm... I hadn't realized it wasn't in RotS. I also didn't realize it actually was "Short" not "Quick." Quick Path to Power sounds better in my opinion.

16 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Hmm... I hadn't realized it wasn't in RotS. I also didn't realize it actually was "Short" not "Quick." Quick Path to Power sounds better in my opinion.

The confusion is probably due to that famous line which goes something like this: "... quicker, shorter, more seductive ..."

:D

(Could that rule insinuate that a PC who chooses that route is doomed to become a darksider? :) )

11 hours ago, Bellona said:

The confusion is probably due to that famous line which goes something like this: "... quicker, shorter, more seductive ..."

:D

(Could that rule insinuate that a PC who chooses that route is doomed to become a darksider? :) )

Insinuating a false statement is certainly a valid interpretation, although I doubt that this interpretation was intended by the developers

12 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Insinuating a false statement is certainly a valid interpretation, although I doubt that this interpretation was intended by the developers

The comment was meant mostly as a joke (plus referring to how some GMs regard that optional rule).

On 7/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, masterstrider said:

That's the really awesome part. It basically gives you a number of attacks per round = to the number of parry/reflect you use. That's pretty amazing. But I don't know a GM that would be generous enough to just target you with a whole bunch of different enemies just so that you can waste them all with extra attacks - but it would look pretty cool :D .

Oh there is a talent in the Knight Tree that makes them only target you...

Circle of Shelter plus Guardian of the Republic solves most of that problem.

9 hours ago, Decorus said:

Oh there is a talent in the Knight Tree that makes them only target you...

Circle of Shelter plus Guardian of the Republic solves most of that problem.

I think that "target me" talent is in soresu defender not knight.

57 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I think that "target me" talent is in soresu defender not knight.

nope. it is in knight

5 hours ago, Daeglan said:

nope. it is in knight

Strategic form is the 25 xp talent in the bottom right corner of soresu defender.

What talent in the knight spec are you referring to?

Did you mean guardian of the republic? Not being able to target someone adjacent to the character does not force them to target the character, they could target someone who is NOT adjacent to the character. Also they had to have targeted that other character once this round before not being able to target them again.

Edited by EliasWindrider

I do believe I said solves most of the problem considering you could have your entire group engaged with the Jedi.

22 hours ago, Decorus said:

I do believe I said solves most of the problem considering you could have your entire group engaged with the Jedi.

Protection lasts for 1 round, after which they can be targeted again even if adjacent. If you have 6 people adjacent to you, they can each be targeted once per round and you'd be spending 18 strain per round to protect them from being targeted additional times that round.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, emsquared said:

I don't understand why they created this stand-alone, unprecedented bit of guidance when there's nothing about General that warrants the 2 FR gate-keeping - it's not that great of a Spec - other than it's narrative status.

There's no gate-keeping to being a Clone Commander or Veteran. Yet they convey a similar narrative status of "experienced" character.

Why isn't the guidance just, "Hey, you can wave the Force Rating 2 requirement, for General, if you want." And leave it at that?

They didn't need to bring in Knight (and whether Knight or Master need the mechanical gate-keeping is also debatable/to be called "Knight" and "Master"), they didn't need to create this easy Force Rating boost option.

It's all just so unnecessary.

That's why I don't like it.

There's a better way to do any of it. Including and primarily Heroic Starts.

It's just pointless and dumb. As in: lacking in intelligence or good judgement. Never gonna allow it in a campaign I run. Absolutely no good reason for it.

The reason why Jedi General requires a FR of 2 is because in order to hold that rank in the lore itself, you needed to have already been granted the rank of Jedi Knight by the Jedi Council. A Padawan could only hold the rank of Commander, not General.