Terrinoth Needs Expansions!

By Anjovi154, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Am I right? :P

Just got wrecked in the siege of Asthill and am still impressed at how the seemingly abstract rules convey the hopelessness of trying to hold off an army of carrion worms, trolls, mountain giants, rats (lol, had a hero with all 3 engaged to them at one point....I remember reading someone complaining that the rat's abilities don't make thematic sense...they sure did then!), while ducking into the tavern as the monsters swarmed the town square, while totally engulfing the unattended gates.

Totally got the vibe from that certain, pivotal battle from game of thrones (that happened at night? trying not to be too spoilery lol) the wizard guy getting plowed over by a mountain troll just before foolishly diverting the attention of the big bad nemesis dude.

It's a shame that I don't get to play this with others more often as the interactions are just complex enough to make manning 3 or more heroes too tough.

That said, were in Terrinoth's tarnations are those darned expansions! I'd love to know that they're is something i can pick up for the game down the line.

Edited by Anjovi154

I do agree, but Asmodee killed the whole Terrinoth line of products 馃槥

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, tibia said:

I do agree, but Asmodee killed the whole Terrinoth line of products 馃槥

I love these type of statements... this is based on what? The fact the Descent got a new small expansion recently, that is not even yet in wider distribution? Also - I am willing to bet that something Terrinoth related will be announced this week.

6 hours ago, Borsook said:

I love these type of statements... this is based on what? The fact the Descent got a new small expansion recently, that is not even yet in wider distribution? Also - I am willing to bet that something Terrinoth related will be announced this week.

I bet against: what do we win? 馃檪

BTW, in the last 8 months (since the exit of HoT) we had zillions of expansions, rumors, announcements, previews for the products of the whole line 馃槈 Also Lost Legends seems not exactly the best expansion in the whole Descent history (1ed & 2ed), at least from the comments I read. It is here just because we have been asking for it for the last 3/5 years (even don't remember when we started).

I would like to have a bet: we will not have an expansion for HoT ever 馃檪 And this is really a pity because the game deserves it.

Finally, why do you expect Lost Legends to be in a "wider distribution": it was just a PoD expansion, so no big market (end it took 6 months to publish 60 cards!!! don't know how many copies they printed)

Edited by tibia
"corrected" English in a sentence

I would be please if they "transform" HoT in a Living Card Game, but ... Asmodee thinks different (they even love Marvel IP) 馃槥

BTW, I am pleased by the tons of announcement we got till now for Terrinoth product line. OK, let's wait the end of GenCon 馃檪

5 hours ago, tibia said:

I would be please if they "transform" HoT in a Living Card Game, but ... Asmodee thinks different (they even love Marvel IP) 馃槥

BTW, I am pleased by the tons of announcement we got till now for Terrinoth product line. OK, let's wait the end of GenCon 馃檪

HoT is such a great game, highly underrated, and built for expansions. I wish they believed in this game more.

Personally I love the dice aspect, but I like it enough that I would most likely go for a LCG version of HoT. But, it seems Asmodee wants to develop other people's IPs rather than developing their own.

You are right, GenCon isn't over yet.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, Borsook said:

Based on the following facts:

a) Heroes of Terrinoth: the bros started talking back in October 2018 on various socials about expansion material, then everybody shut up and the bros started working and publishing other games. Sure, this doesn't mean the line's dead, but doesn't feel much alive either

b) RuneWars: TMG: it's on sale everywhere (I've seen piles of core sets and expansions for sale at fairs in my country for 3 to 5 EUR each) and there's no news in quite a long time

c) Descent: as you said, Descent got "a new small expansion recently" while a few years ago we were getting a big box and a small box per year, and then figures pack and all the rest. The small expansion is also in-house printed, which means it's on a whole different production chain, implying the game's not healthy either. Also, they just released Journeys into Middle-Earth, which has "Journeys into" the title, exactly how Descent was "Journeys into the dark": campaign play, full coop, all things players wanted for Decent since a very long time. And it's in a setting that's a lot more popular than Terrinoth, so, this game spells like a tombstone for Descent to me

e) RuneBound is dead and buried: the last expansion was released in 2017. It's more than 2 years ago, and that expansion was controversial to say the least, and not a top seller

f) other games set in Terrinoth exist no more: BattleLore 2nd is a dead battlefield, RuneAge and RuneWars long gone

On the other hand, we see the company constantly pushing on other games (Star Wars, AGoT, LotR, and now Marvel) and themes (LCGs, unique games, miniature games) which are a lot more lucrative for them (just look at the price for the plastic of the Legion bunker: 80 bucks? madness). All these products have constant attention, and a constant product stream inflowing in the market.

Terrinoth is dead and buried, amen to that.

Will they resurrect it? Possibly, but who knows. Do I miss it? ****, yes.

Edited by Julia
18 hours ago, Doctor Stuff said:

HoT is such a great game, highly underrated, and built for expansions. I wish they believed in this game more.

Personally I love the dice aspect, but I like it enough that I would most likely go for a LCG version of HoT. But, it seems Asmodee wants to develop other people's IPs rather than developing their own.

You are right, GenCon isn't over yet.

Yes, I do love the dice mechanics too 馃檪

BTW, to whom who misses the bros, AltarQuest from Blacklist Games will be the solution 馃檪 The dice mechanics seems even better than the one of HoT. In any case I will buy everything for HoT if it comes 馃檪

Edited by tibia

Do you have an interest in AlterQuest ? I'm asking because I can see you advertising it in a lot of threads here in FFG phorums...

Not at all (apart to play it as soon as I get it). I have an interest in letting Asmodee managers understand how they are ... (use the expression you prefer) and I have an interest in getting HoT expansions 馃檪

BTW, (to be clear) my interest is not money oriented (I will pay full cost for the HoT expansions, if they come out) 馃槈

Aye, I'm on the same page.

I highly suspect that some of this is an unused art for HoT expansion/Descent 3rd Edition. Uthuk, eh?) I'm still glad that FFG shared it with us, and yet I understand that this is another sign of the line's end. Hope some creative people will use it for their home-brew expansions.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/284421/Genesys-Foundry-Terrinoth-Art-Pack?cPath=33276

Edited by Oak tree
On 8/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, Julia said:

Based on the following facts:

a) Heroes of Terrinoth: the bros started talking back in October 2018 on various socials about expansion material, then everybody shut up and the bros started working and publishing other games. Sure, this doesn't mean the line's dead, but doesn't feel much alive either

b) RuneWars: TMG: it's on sale everywhere (I've seen piles of core sets and expansions for sale at fairs in my country for 3 to 5 EUR each) and there's no news in quite a long time

c) Descent: as you said, Descent got "a new small expansion recently" while a few years ago we were getting a big box and a small box per year, and then figures pack and all the rest. The small expansion is also in-house printed, which means it's on a whole different production chain, implying the game's not healthy either. Also, they just released Journeys into Middle-Earth, which has "Journeys into" the title, exactly how Descent was "Journeys into the dark": campaign play, full coop, all things players wanted for Decent since a very long time. And it's in a setting that's a lot more popular than Terrinoth, so, this game spells like a tombstone for Descent to me

e) RuneBound is dead and buried: the last expansion was released in 2017. It's more than 2 years ago, and that expansion was controversial to say the least, and not a top seller

f) other games set in Terrinoth exist no more: BattleLore 2nd is a dead battlefield, RuneAge and RuneWars long gone

On the other hand, we see the company constantly pushing on other games (Star Wars, AGoT, LotR, and now Marvel) and themes (LCGs, unique games, miniature games) which are a lot more lucrative for them (just look at the price for the plastic of the Legion bunker: 80 bucks? madness). All these products have constant attention, and a constant product stream inflowing in the market.

Terrinoth is dead and buried, amen to that.

Will they resurrect it? Possibly, but who knows. Do I miss it? ****, yes.

The problem I have with this is that I heard all that before, when FFG stop repriting 2nd edition of Runebound, or 1st of Descent people where claiming that Terrinoth is dead. It's just such a silly, dramatic statement. Nothing is dead, they own the rights to the world and will use it when it seems right to them. That's not being dead and resurrected, that just a normal business practice.

Journeys in Middle-Earth has nothing to do with Descent, it's a successor to Mantions of Madness. Using the same word... really doesn't matter or maybe even shows that they feel association with Descent is good for a product. Descent is still popular and will get a 3rd edition. When? I don't know. Runebound had 10 years between editions.

To sum up - sure, they are release more things for other properties. But it is not due to their vile conspiracy but because these properties sell better. But that doesn't mean anything is "dead", that will happen if they do not release anything in the universe for a couple of years. And we are far from that,

On 8/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, Julia said:

Wi臋kszo艣膰 gier kt贸re obecnie wydawane s膮 pod szyldem FFG (asmodee), jest o tematyce Sci-Fi... Wkurza mnie to, bo nie przepadam za kosmicznymi klimatami.. Zaledwie kilka tytu艂贸w r贸偶ni si臋 od tej tematyki seria Arkham jak i seria Legend of the Five Rings.. i to wszystko.

Asmodee skutecznie niszczy rynek gier o tematyce fantasy. Smutne to, bo zamykacie sobie 艣cie偶ki dla nowych klient贸w. A tematyka ameryka艅skich super bohater贸w jest ju偶 tak przejedzona 偶e si臋 chc臋 rzyga膰 na sam膮 my艣l.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, kowal85 said:

Wi臋kszo艣膰 gier kt贸re obecnie wydawane s膮 pod szyldem FFG (asmodee), jest o tematyce Sci-Fi... Wkurza mnie to, bo nie przepadam za kosmicznymi klimatami.. Zaledwie kilka tytu艂贸w r贸偶ni si臋 od tej tematyki seria Arkham jak i seria Legend of the Five Rings.. i to wszystko.

Asmodee skutecznie niszczy rynek gier o tematyce fantasy. Smutne to, bo zamykacie sobie 艣cie偶ki dla nowych klient贸w. A tematyka ameryka艅skich super bohater贸w jest ju偶 tak przejedzona 偶e si臋 chc臋 rzyga膰 na sam膮 my艣l.

For those not speaking Polish, the guy wrote:

Most of the games that are currently released under the FFG (Asmodee) banner are Sci-Fi ... They annoy me because I don't like playing sci-fi games... Only a few titles differ from this topic, for example the Arkham series and Legend of the series Five Rings .. and that's all.

Asmodee successfully destroyed the fantasy game market. It is sad because they are scaring away new customers. And the subject of American superheroes is already so abused that I'm gonna puke just thinking of it.

I started playing HoT and I really enjoy the mechanics of the game. Streamlined rules.

I hope we will see an Expansion one day and a campaign mode.

Still hope (almost becoming idle hope) expansion will come.

I love this fantasy world.

Hope they come with campaigns and more monsters/heroes/locations/quests!!!

Civilization: A New Dawn got an expansion, so I guess there is hope Heroes of Terrinoth can still get one.

I don't know if there is a Q&A section for this years In-Flight report. Maybe if we all spam the Twitch live stream with questions or requests they will notice.

I doubt an expansion will ever be published for this game 馃槥

Let's see if they announce something in the Terrinoth/Descent "environment" that will be worth to be considered 馃檪