AI is too powerful.

By davidgleibs, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

So I have played the Solo version twice, and not only is the AI trouncing me, It also is starting to get almost boring to play. To fix this I would recommend the following slight change to the AI rules. When it comes to playing the AI, instead of automatically completing a job, they really need to actually do what it listed on the card to succeed. Otherwise the AI is too powerful. The AI not only starts out with more money, but they also have the possible auto access to one of the best rewards in the game. A point in fame. And autocompleting jobs almost always guarantees that they have enough money to always get that option when it is available.

I don't think the AI is too powerful in itself. Essentially, auto completing jobs just means that the AI is a clock. Playing normally, you need to beat it in X number of turns, because it will (mostly) gain Fame at a fairly steady and quick pace (but not an unbeatable one).

I will say that the clock is probably too quick in that it forces you to adapt a fairly quick playstyle yourself; e.g. I imagine Bounty Hunters are probably just going to get trounced by the AI nine times out of ten because they've got to spend more timing searching for contacts, which the AI doesn't really interact with so you don't get additional knowledge. But then, I've got the suspicion that this may be an issue for normal play as well, with certain strategies being better able to push quick wins.

One thing that has been brought up is the need to play against the AI, rather than just playing your own game as normal. Which means doing stuff like taking jobs/cargo that give Fame so they can't get them, even if it's not a benefit to you. Or leaving jobs on the other side of the map from them to slow them down, rather than grabbing it yourself 'just in case'.

I have employed a number of strategies against the AI, and the most effective have been to cycle cards. There is noting in the rules that prohibit you from cycling cards on stacks or dropping old cargo for new cargo, etc. since there is so little interaction with the AI, moving ships and having them slow it down is also an added benefit of constantly working the stacks.

Han Solo is Hard Mode, full stop. The +2 Move he gets means he completes jobs faster.

I was able to beat the AI using Boba Fett versus Jyn Erso. The AI does force to play more efficiently that is for sure.

Edited by Raithnor
Clarity

I have come to enjoy the AI. I wish there was more interaction with the AI in single player games, so it really comes down to how well you can employ positive tactics for you and negative ones for it. I have beat it with Bossk and IG, and nearly with Lando.