What's the style of your games?

By A Duck1, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Do you focus on investigation, do you add as much action as investigation, or do you make a completely style of play altogether? How much horror do you put into the games? Do you focus on the insanity of the Warp or do you use mostly mundane adversaries?

GMs, what's your style of play in DH?

Thats the real beuty of the game for me, all of the above! I can keep the same players, the same characters and the same background and system, but run different style games depending on my mood!

Works for me, and works for my players! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Same for me. I tend to switch what sort of adventure we play every time and it also depends on the players. I once had an adventure that was mostly investigation but turned into nothing short of a bloodbath and another where they were allowed to use violence but solved it politically.
There's usually always some sort of horror involved but that can range from very minor to an all out "board the creepy space-hulk"-adventure. I've done the latter twice now because the players simply love it, I took my inspiration from the movie Event Horizon (if you haven't seen it go watch it!).

Last night, my players investigated heresy carried out by mostly mundane individuals. The group psyker did find a sinister looking tome bound with human skin, but so far they haven't unraveled enough of the conspiracy to face daemons or other less human advesaries. So far, my games include a fair amount of investigation with enough combat thrown in to keep the game from getting stale. Critical hit results durings last nights combat sort of turned the game into dark comedy.

I generally do mundane enemies. Once in a while I'll throw something out there, but not because I really want to, because one of the player's ended up picking a Null character. I planned on my campaign having incredibly few daemons and psykers and such. But, that'll make him feel completely useless. Thus, my hand is partially forced.

And for missions, I do a mix, although I generally do more combat orientated, because that's what the group likes and adores.

Me, I prefer to run investigation type scenarios with little to no combat, but most of my group enjoy getting into battle so I have to throw some in every session or two.

Typically my adventures begin with the party investigating some individual or organization and eventually reveal their ties to cults, daemons, whathaveyou. Though I am perfectly happy to make the villians nothing more mystical than greedy and dispicable humans.

I really enjoy straddling the line between good and evil, setting most of my games firmly in the grey zone where morality isn't all cut and dry. I like putting my players in situations where the answers aren't just handed to them and they have to make hard decisions. In one game I had the party all ready for the final battle with a reoccuring villain, but when they encountered him he stunned them all by asking for sanctuary. For a long time they had known he served a greater evil and after his last two failures he realized that another would mean his life, so he offered the party knowledge they could not otherwise obtain (on a need to know basis, so as to maintain his value) so long as they protected him from the wrath of his master. It was fun to watch them labor over the choice, but ultimately they gave in, as they would gain more by letting him live - no matter how dispicable he was. (of course, at some point when it is most convenient, he'll betray them in hopes of returning to his master's good graces)

I try to mix my games up, though, and occasionally run an adventure with a completely different story type, such as survival, horror, heavy combat, infiltration, etc. My games rarely have the opportunity to become dull or predictable.

As for horror, I add just as much as is necessary for the type of story I'm telling. Generally it is a background sort of thing.

I try to inject horror into my games at the right moments and have successfully "creeped" out my players while they were crawling through the underbelly of a Hive in search of a contact and the supposed leader of a cult. Even with horror though, I tend to try and balance it up between investigation, mundane enemies, and things that make them go, "Oh wow!" Sometimes I feel that the horrifying aspect of the DH universe isn't touched on enough, or if it is, it can sometimes be overdone and then become cheesy. It's straddling that line that makes it fun for me and sometimes keeps my players on their toes.

I've ranged from a radicial Inquisitor to a puritan Inquisitor, from the incredibly mundane ganger to the horrifically mutated. I'm hoping to do a Space Hulk/adventure-ish campaign in the future and see how my players take it. A touch of investigation, a bit of combat, and a whole lot of horror.

I try to keep with the themes of the Ordo Hereticus since that is who they work for. Personally, I prefer investigation and intrigue, with lots of opportunity for personal interaction with each other and NPC's, so that is what I try to run. As the campaign continues, I will also be doing more and more with the themes of internal Inquisition strife. As things continue, the game will be less about random missions assigned to them, and more about missions that deal with the legacies left by their superiors and [DATA EXPUNGED].

I try not to have to many threats that are directly chaos or daemons (or at least not revealed to be so too early). Not because I don't like these things, but because I feel like it diminishes their impact when they do show up.

Horror, horror, horror is the route I normally go. If any of you esteemed rpg's have ever played Call of Cthulu, that is the general type of campaign I run. Investigation, fluff heavy role playing peppered with moments of action and combat. I prefer the whole "man is insignificant in the grand scheme of things" approach. While it is true that the actions of my group may change the whole scope of my campaign I tend to focus more on the evolution of my PCs as opposed to my campain dogma. I play the game based on what I found most appealing and entertaining in the novels I reference for background, the slow inevitable change in the story's characters such as Eisenhorn's metamorphisis from a Puritan into a Radical. This post begs me to ask my "who got peanut butter in my chocolate" question. What two (or more) other games do you mix with DH? I know some of us prefer a more combat based campaign while others lean towards a political based game. The DH rules as it stands already incoporates a mix of espionage and horror. As for my current tastes, I combined 40K with the Whispering Vault rpg. In a nut shell, all of the Materium is created by the combined contemplation of the entities of the Immaterium. Basically, the real world exist through the active dreaming of ethreal spirits. Physical laws a merely a widespread, common thought, for example there are a whole class of dreamers (Aesthetics) whose only dream is the expansion of metal during heating while some dream that gravity is the force of attraction between objects. Magic and psyker powers are merely the socerer or psyker conciously altering the dreaming of these Aesthetics. My current campain dogma is that the Chaos Gods are powerful, primal asthetics who were awakened from dreaming by base desires such as anger or lust. The Imperium's, or rather the Emperor's, Astronomica disrupts their dreaming and is slowly unravelling reality as more and more of these Aethetics are awakened. As of now, I am not entirely sure where or how I will end the campaign...