Winter's Embrace

By KakitaKaori, in Lore Discussion

5 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Generally, FFG's policy with NPCs seems to be that they provide you the bare minimum and you scale up (i/e add templates) as needed because NPCs should not outshine PCs, merely present challenges to them, because your game isn't about the NPCs (and I'm of the mind if it is you should go write your novel instead). This keeps NPC notes more compact and means no more 90s era "you literally cannot defeat this character don't even try". I know some people in the SWRPG community who think they lowballed Vader's stats for instance, but if you're using Vader as a plot point then you should use him like one - I think there's a web adventure which is "Vader advances 1 range band per round, if he catches you you're ****ing dead mate" version. Which may be thematically appropriate, but probably not the advice you use for general play. Similarly, most high-power NPCs in Rokugan don't need to roll a single die to **** your samurai up - they just demand your seppuku, or cast you out as Ronin, or they have the guards seize you. If you think giving Toshimoko a 5th skill die makes it better for your game, go for it.

definitely.

its just a bit iffy if you are like "they summon toshimoko for this duel!" and your players know (because they read the lore a bit) that toshimoko is like a big time duelist (if not the best) but then your rank 3 bushi wrecks him without sweating.
sure, for most rank 1 or early rank 2, the way they present toshimoko he is almost unbeatable unless your PC are extrememly lucky. I guess it depends how high rank are your PC and if they care that Toshimoko is suppose to be good or just another bushi with ring 4 skill 4.

I absolutely don't want to give the players the impression of throwing Orcus at them if they are level 1. But I also don't want toshimoko to be a push over (which he kind of is against most PC close to rank 3 that focused their character on duelling at the moment.)
I was simply merely thinking that having toshimoko for this duel could be a bit overkill, and probably another kenshinzen would have been more suited. Then again, switching a bit of stuff as I see fit is really a non-issue. We are merely just chit chatting about stuff.

Looking at the 1st edition version of Toshimoko, he should be a beast. He was one of the first NPC’s to have a 6 Rank in a Skill (max was 5), and a Fire Ring of 7, Void of 8. In an Iaijutsu duel, he rolled 14 dice keeping 8 and adding 5 to the total. And that was just using Way of the Crane. He was designed to break the rules. Frankly I don’t think he would duel a low level pc. It wouldn’t be much of a contest. That said, I t is a duel to first blood. I’m torn by this section of the adventure. Ryoku is a former Imperial Advisor, and I can see how Toshimoko would fight for her. Honestly, I’m assuming the adventure wants the PC’s to work with Ryoku and fight Susano-o no Izen, a much more appropriate duel.

10 hours ago, Mikesmithsm said:

Ryoku is a former Imperial Advisor, and I can see how Toshimoko would fight for her.

Yeah....if it's Ryoku looking for a champion at Kyuden Doji at winter court, it's gonna be the Grey Crane who turns up. How good he should be for an interesting fight is a PC-specific GM decision, but finding yourself looking across the courtyard at Kakita Toshimoko is the appropriate consequence, and it should feel like a " you dun goofed, boy ..." moment.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I have noticed modern RPGs rarely make the Important Experienced Super NPCs anything super stat-wise, so it does not surprise me that Toshimoko would be a push-over as written.
However, I would also assume the venerable Kakita sensei has at least Martial 5, since the Core Book has separate sidebar discussing that Rank 5 at skill is not the final pinnacle of achievement in it. One more Skill Die is unlikely to completely change the encounter, but it would be more fitting for the character.

11 minutes ago, Mirac said:

I have noticed modern RPGs rarely make the Important Experienced Super NPCs anything super stat-wise, so it does not surprise me that Toshimoko would be a push-over as written.
However, I would also assume the venerable Kakita sensei has at least Martial 5, since the Core Book has separate sidebar discussing that Rank 5 at skill is not the final pinnacle of achievement in it. One more Skill Die is unlikely to completely change the encounter, but it would be more fitting for the character.

Well, he should have the final rank 6 kakita ability. To be logical.

In comparison, Kakita Ryoku in courts of stone is precisely done and feels super powerful.

I just don't think they felt like Toshimoko would play an important role or that many players would go against the Crane and duel him. IF it happens, you should definitely write down Toshimoko more precisely.

Edited by Avatar111
15 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

Well, he should have the final rank 6 kakita ability. To be logical.

Strike With No Thought would instantly make him a scary opponent in an iaijutsu duel to first blood. As he should be.

Martial Arts (Melee) 5 on top of that would be impressive, but not the end of the world if he didn't get it.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Strike With No Thought would instantly make him a scary opponent in an iaijutsu duel to first blood. As he should be.

Martial Arts (Melee) 5 on top of that would be impressive, but not the end of the world if he didn't get it.

Logically, Toshimoko should be a rank 6 kakita duelist.

Now, does the module expect the players to beat him? What ranks are the players suppose to be? Are the rank 1 players invited to winter court and being dueled by Toshimoko?

Out of the box, many things just don't make sense.

No choice but to modify the module for your own game. Which I don't really mind at the end of the day.