Buying ships confusion

By Thom Servo, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

I'm a little confused about buying ships.

• Do you treat that deck like all the others where you expose the top card and can buy to discard that?
  • Does that mean I have to buy that top ship?
  • What if the used ship card comes up?
  • Since it's a special I guess there's no price and anyone can grab it if they want?
  • Do I have to buy the next ship used then?

The top card of the ship deck is face-up just like every other market deck. That is the ship for sale. You can use your "cycle one deck per turn" to cycle the deck just like any other deck in the market phase, but the top ship is the one for sale. If "Used Ship" comes up just follow the card - If I recall correctly you use the ship sheets to pick out which ship you want to buy, but you are buying it damaged and are still paying full cost for it as the price is on the ship sheet. For example, if used ship comes up and the modified YT-1300 is still available you can buy it. You are still paying the 20,000 credits for it and you are getting it with 3 damage, but you get the specific ship you wanted which is helpful.

Hope that helps.

Edited by TheSpitfired
clarification

Yes, the point of the 'second hand ship' card is to let you pick what you want, at the cost of taking three damage. Otherwise you can only buy the top card as normal.

Fantastic for Bossk, as an action he can just heal.

yup Bossk is the best

On 6/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, Ywingscum said:

Fantastic for Bossk, as an action he can just heal.

yup Bossk is the best

Also good if you buy the YV-666 used, as it's ship goal is to be Repaired (and then spend some amount of credits) to gain the fame and flip the ship. It can actually sometimes be hard or inconvenient to get a ship damaged, which can make simply buying the YV-666 used and damaged pretty worthwhile.

1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Also good if you buy the YV-666 used, as it's ship goal is to be Repaired (and then spend some amount of credits) to gain the fame and flip the ship. It can actually sometimes be hard or inconvenient to get a ship damaged, which can make simply buying the YV-666 used and damaged pretty worthwhile.

๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿป

Also the Used Ship card is the only way to purchase a ship that has been bartered away for a new one.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, gamblertuba said:

Also the Used Ship card is the only way to purchase a ship that has been bartered away for a new one.

This would not generally be the case. A bartered ship is supposed to go back in the game box. You could house rule it but base rules is they are out of the game.

4 hours ago, jddilfer said:

This would not generally be the case. A bartered ship is supposed to go back in the game box. You could house rule it but base rules is they are out of the game.

Don't have the rules in front of me so could be misremembering.

I believe buying a ship from the market causes its market card to be removed from the game. The ship card is returned to the supply when bartered. So used ship can be any ship in the supply, even one that has been bartered. Makes sense thematically anyway.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:20 PM, gamblertuba said:

There's at least one encounter card (Ryloth deck) that allows you to buy a ship directly from the supply (i.e. this includes ships previously bartered away), but yes, usually you can buy a specific ship as "brand new", from ship deck, not more than once during a single game.

2 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Don't have the rules in front of me so could be misremembering.

I believe buying a ship from the market causes its market card to be removed from the game. The ship card is returned to the supply when bartered. So used ship can be any ship in the supply, even one that has been bartered. Makes sense thematically anyway.

You are correct, relevant rules below (emphasis original).

Rules Reference p. 14, "Ships" section:

"โ€ข When a player buys a ship, they remove the market card from
the game (as instructed on the card). Then, they replace their
ship sheet with the ship sheet that corresponds to the ship they
bought.
ยทยท Any damage on their ship is removed.
ยทยท Their old ship is returned to the supply of unpurchased ship
sheets. If the ship has a matching market card, that card is
not returned to the market deck."