Delay Action

By KelYco, in Rules Questions

Hello to all,

I would like to know how you treat Delay action please.

For example: the PC has initiative but he prefers to prepare his spell without throw it or he is a sniper and he prefers to wait to see how NPC react and fire later when it is NPC's initiative slot.

Does the PC acts with an incidental out of turn for using his delay action ?

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Take a later initiative slot. Keep in mind that when you roll initiative you're not locking your character into a specific place in the order, you're just rolling for a PC slot. Any PC can act during any PC slot. See CRB96 for more detail on creating initiative slots.

Ok. Thank you c__beck.

Because i'm not a big fan of Genesys Initiative system, i'm using more a classic system and add penalty on initiative score when wounded or advantage on this score when using a Story point or when activating wired reflex or Augment spell.

However I bug for the delay action.

I'm using Genesys in a Shadowrun World.

Edited by KelYco

Gonna mirror @c__beck here and say the same, just choose to take a later initiative slot. I tend to run my games where whatever the players roll is what they get for their turns UNLESS someone has a need to take an earlier/later slot such as the player closest to a falling NPC needing to catch them but couldn't if they went last.

If you are using an alternative initiative system that establishes a fixed acting order, I suggest using the rules for delaying or holding actions that came with whatever system you took your initiative rules from. For example; I might adapt the rules for Delayed and Readied Actions from Pathfinder (since those rules are published online) if I used something like their initiative system.

3 hours ago, Cantriped said:

If you are using an alternative initiative system that establishes a fixed acting order, I suggest using the rules for delaying or holding actions that came with whatever system you took your initiative rules from. For example; I might adapt the rules for Delayed and Readied Actions from Pathfinder (since those rules are published online) if I used something like their initiative system.

Yes... i agree. I'm using the App Encounter+ to manage Initiative order and Battle map, so i will use DnD5 initiative rules.

Tks

Open initiative order initiative mostly makes holding one's turn unnecessary, as others in the thread have pointed out. However, there are a few situations in which a character might want to wait to act for an enemy to make a choice (e.g. I want to draw my bow and wait, only loosing the arrow if the enemy moves in to attack us). If you really want a hold-for-trigger rule , this is how I would do it:

A player may specify an action and/or maneuver along with an optional trigger, taking the "Hold" incidental. A character may "Hold" at most 1 action and 1 maneuver, and may not take a second maneuver after "Holding." For each turn that the character "Holds," he suffers 1 strain.

• If the trigger is met, the character may immediately complete the specified action and/or maneuver.
  • Otherwise, the character may complete the specified action and/or maneuver after any other turn, suffering 2 strain.
  • At the end of the round, the character may either continue to "Hold" or may complete the specified action and/or maneuver without suffering strain.

If the action is a combat check, you may want to require a target as well.

Edited by sfRattan