So who has gotten Beastmaster to work?

By Church14, in Runewars Tactics

I’ve seen Lord of Subterfuge, EoA, and Entrancing Gaze all put to good use.

Has as anyone made Beastmaster’s skill (or Gorgemaw w/ unique) work for them? Personally I’m not getting it to really go.

I have not used it, but it sure seems like it’s made for Spined Threshers or Obscenes. He can do a 2-March and then the Skill to give those units an early Reform or Shift to set up their move later in the turn.... ... or you could do it late in the turn to set them up for an early charge. Seems a lot like EotA...

Combined with Scuttling Horror, this could be pretty effective...

I find in all of the shift/reform skill options, that even the possibility of a single shift is enough to significantly mess up the initiative timing of actions. For example, let's take the absence of these upgrades. Normally, you'd measure off, and since you know who will have initiative next round, you know who will win the charge and what actions are open to them before their initative modifer. I've managed to do a lot with all of these, but it takes specific instances on the game-board to see. It really isn't all that different, it just simply happens in the Uthuk way by taking a wound rather than in the way that other factions work.

I get the uses of his skill. I personally struggle a bit to use it since (I think) I tend to spread my Uthuk across the board.

Maim wonder what do you put on Beastmaster? Do people just run him naked and lean into his skill? Driven Fury and Tyrant’s Lash have worked for me. Have people made Cunning Strikes or Beastial Ferocity work?

I think I've been too enamoured with running Gorgemaw that I haven't bothered as much with Beastmaster

16 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

I think I've been too enamoured with running Gorgemaw that I haven't bothered as much with Beastmaster

Gorgemaw is a blast. He feels like a 47-62 point aggravating distraction. I let him cut loose on a flank and harass anything out there. If that flank is empty he arcs in for surprising amounts of flank damage given his dice pool and lack of brutal.

Im struggling with Beastmaster because I feel like he has to stay where he can support and it’s not quite clicking.

Edited by Church14