Expansions Question

By nicholaskillin, in Legends of the Alliance

So I know that I’m super late to the party, but my copy of the base game is coming tomorrow. I have some friends that will probably play with me a bit, but I’m imagining that most of my gameplay will be solo using the app.

That being said, the base game is all that I have picked up so far. Are there any expansions that DON'T add anything to the game when playing with the app? I plan on getting some, but would hate to purchase it only to find out that the app doesn’t really use any of it's content.

Also, it looks like Return to Hoth and Jabba's Realm have campaigns in the app. Do the other physical expansions open up additional scenarios to play through, or are you just using the characters and cards found in those with the 3 main campaigns in the app?

Thanks!

Welcome to the club, @nicholaskillin :)

The IA:Core box, Return to Hoth , & Jabba's Realm all have app campaigns attached to them in the app. Many fans expect Heart of the Empire (the last of the big box expansions) to get an app campaign too at some point, and perhaps even the smaller boxed (but that's probably less likely).

But all expansions add content to the app-version of the game in the form of equipment cards + deployment cards & minies. In addition, the small figure boxes each also adds a new between-mission encounter for the app to chose from when selecting these "text encounters" for you to play, (at least, I THINK each figure box does this). So yeah, every expansion adds something to the app experience :) although some more than others. Adding, say... Hired Guns "unlocks" the Rodian mercenaries (figure & deployment card) for you to encounter + whatever equipment card that comes in the figure pack (can't remember which they are). On the other hand, adding the Stormtroopers box doesn't "unlock" any more Stormtroopers (since you already get those with the Core box), but it does add new equipment cards. And, as I said, I also THINK each figure box adds a new between-mission text encounter, although I could be wrong here.

Hope that helps :D

Edited by angelman2
22 hours ago, angelman2 said:

In addition, the small figure boxes each also adds a new between-mission encounter for the app to chose from when selecting these "text encounters" for you to play, (at least, I THINK each figure box does this).

At the very least Ally packs that are from "non-box" waves.

@nicholaskillin , just to clarify the term for you, when I say "non-box wave" I'm referring to any group of figure pack that was not released alongside a wave that didn't have a large/small expansion box. Most packs that were with a box have cardboard tokens to represent the figures that were released as part of their wave, so if you were to get Jabba's Realm you would get a Jedi Luke deployment card and a token so that you can use him in your campaign. The only benefit to getting his figure pack if you're playing strictly in the app will be that you can use his figure. The only exception is the ISB Infiltrators, which were released as part of the Bespin box wave but don't exist in the corresponding box.

22 hours ago, angelman2 said:

Adding, say... Hired Guns "unlocks" the Rodian mercenaries (figure & deployment card) for you to encounter + whatever equipment card that comes in the figure pack (can't remember which they are). On the other hand, adding the Stormtroopers box doesn't "unlock" any more Stormtroopers (since you already get those with the Core box), but it does add new equipment cards 

Well, only wave 7 (Obi-wan, Greedo, and the Grand Inqusitor) had equipment cards. A fact I think we're all mildly disappointed with 😅 .

Edited by Uninvited Guest

@angelman2 and @Uninvited Guest . Those answers were perfect. Thank you so much!

On 6/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, angelman2 said:

On the other hand, adding the Stormtroopers box doesn't "unlock" any more Stormtroopers (since you already get those with the Core box), but it does add new equipment cards.

The Stromtroopers pack actually unlocks the Vader's Finest Stormtroopers.

24 minutes ago, Dantk said:

The Stromtroopers pack actually unlocks the Vader's Finest Stormtroopers.

And is the reason why there is a chance to get two elite Stormtrooper groups at the same time.