Card deck question

By Redblock, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

Let the rule questions roll. Just got my copy, and had a blast at playing, but few questions came out of this:

Cargo deck, with jobs and bounties it says on card "remove from game after resolving", but nothing like that on cargo, and cargo deck got emptied very fast. Do you reshuffle used cargo? Or is it gone like bounties and jobs? Same question about gear you discard (to free up slot).

Bonus question. If your opponent has crew you need for bounty you can catch him and still have battle to claim it, just with opponent defending, but what if he finds a way to discard that crew (like having all slots filled and getting new crew). Is your bounty worthless?

You only ever remove the card from the game if the card specifically states that. Other are discarded and "discard" in this game always means "place it back at the bottom of its respective deck" (no reshuffling unless card specifically states that).

When you discard a crew card, any contact token associated with it is placed on a empty contact space on the nearest planet (which contains an empty contact space). All bounties have contact tokens, so they cannot be "hidden" from bounty hunters that way.

Thanks

Don't forget you can try to make deals with your opponent, so if your opponent has less combat strength than the bounty you are going after you could try to make him a deal to better your odds of capturing your prey. Be aware, there is nothing that says you or your opponent have to uphold their end of the bargain!

16 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Be aware, there is nothing that says you or your opponent have to uphold their end of the bargain!

The "immediate" part of any trade is binding as per rulebook.

15 hours ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

Ok you got me on the nit-pick. :P I was referring to "Hey I'll give you 2,000 credits if you let me catch up to you and battle you for Chewie" situations.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:32 AM, Bron Ander Haltern said:

This is only in reference to trades of cards when both players are in same space. Cash trades that can occur at anytime do not follow that rule.

7 hours ago, jddilfer said:

This is only in reference to trades of cards when both players are in same space. Cash trades that can occur at anytime do not follow that rule.

Rules refer to "any trade", actually (see "Trade Action" section in Rules Reference).

In other words, a deal along the lines of "Ok, I'll give you 2k if you encounter this gray contact on your planet" is binding (assuming the deal happens during encounter step of the player being offered 2k).

Unless you mean something else entirely,

3 hours ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

Rules refer to "any trade", actually (see "Trade Action" section in Rules Reference).

In other words, a deal along the lines of "Ok, I'll give you 2k if you encounter this gray contact on your planet" is binding (assuming the deal happens during encounter step of the player being offered 2k).

Wait, that's not right. If a trade of credits is happening during the encounter step it is not happening during a trade action of the action step and is therefore non-binding. The only trades that are binding are the ones that can immediately and completely be fulfilled during a trade action.

4 hours ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

You are correct, but in an extremely limited scenario. Because this:

Players often trade credits for future promises. For example, you
may give a player 1,000 credits to help that player out of a tight
situation, under the condition that they give you 2,000 credits on
their next turn. Such agreements are perfectly legal, but future
promises are non-binding. This means the player may decide,
when the time comes, to not actually give you the promised
amount of credits back.

Means that the ONLY way your a scenario above would be binding is if:

1. It is the players turn who you want to do the contact

2. It is the encounter step of their turn

3. They have no patrol that they MUST fight

4. They have not ALREADY done a contact.

Otherwise it would be a "future promise" and not able to be "immediately and completely fulfilled" and thus non binding.

Which I think is the overarching idea of the scum and villainy side of this game. I am not certain the intent was to wrangle everyone into honest deals all the time.

But listen, if you want to run it that way, do it. Have fun with it! This game is about enjoying the Star Wars universe and what it offers on your terms. :)

40 minutes ago, TheSpitfired said:

Wait, that's not right. If a trade of credits is happening during the encounter step it is not happening during a trade action of the action step and is therefore non-binding. The only trades that are binding are the ones that can immediately and completely be fulfilled during a trade action.

Below are all references to "binding" that can be found in the rulebooks...

Learn to Play p. 8, "Trading Credits and Promises" subsection:

"Players often trade credits for future promises. For example, you
may give a player 1,000 credits to help that player out of a tight
situation, under the condition that they give you 2,000 credits on
their next turn. Such agreements are perfectly legal, but future
promises are non-binding. This means the player may decide,
when the time comes, to not actually give you the promised
amount of credits back."

Rules Reference p. 5, "Credits" section:

"• Players can trade credits with the current player at any time
during the game. Trades do not have to be equal—a player can
trade any amount of credits and receive less or nothing in return.
·· Any trade that cannot be immediately and completely
fulfilled is non-binding.
Example: If a player trades credits to another player for a
promise of credits in the future, the player who received the
credits initially is allowed to break their promise.
"

(Second paragraph quoted is the sub-bullet point of the first paragraph, in case it's not clear.)

Rules Reference p. 15, "Trade Action" section:

"Any trade that cannot be immediately and completely fulfilled is
non-binding.
Example: If a player trades credits to another player for a promise
of credits in the future, the player who received the credits initially
is allowed to break their promise.
"

So not only there's nothing in the rulebooks that supports the interpretation of the "non-binding" rule being limited to only market action, but the rule is also specifically mentioned in the context of trading credits - see the second quote above.

20 minutes ago, jddilfer said:

Means that the ONLY way your a scenario above would be binding is if:

1. It is the players turn who you want to do the contact

2. It is the encounter step of their turn

3. They have no patrol that they MUST fight

4. They have not ALREADY done a contact.

Otherwise it would be a "future promise" and not able to be "immediately and completely fulfilled" and thus non binding.

True, these are the conditions for this particular trade (not really hard to meet, since you can even announce it beforehand "Hey, before you do your encounter step, I might have a business proposition for you") and these are the official rules, which means you agree with me: the usual rules are applied to see whether a particular credit trades is binding or non-binding.

11 hours ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

So not only there's nothing in the rulebooks that supports the interpretation of the "non-binding" rule being limited to only market action, but the rule is also specifically mentioned in the context of trading credits - see the second quote above.

Ok as fun as it is playing rules lawyer I'm not going to do it too much more. First off if you are doing a market action you are not doing a trade action, so of course "binding rules" don't apply because they are referenced under trade actions.

If you are in a space with another player during the action step, you can resolve a trade action. The trades don't have to be even, all that stuff you've been talking about. Every trade made during this part that can be immediately and completely fulfilled is binding which is what you are trying to establish. This is all referenced under "Trade Action" in the Rules Reference. Any trade made during this trade action that cannot be immediately and completely fulfilled is non-binding "AKA I will give you 2,000 credits if on your turn you go to Ord Mantell and uncover that contact" The player who received the credits is under no obligation to honor that promise. It's very thematic. (It would be fun to House Rule that if you make a non-binding trade and the player breaks it you can chase them down for a combat).

The RR then goes on to point out that credits can be traded at any time and that is not an action. Now if you are in a trade action and credits are part of that trade then that is binding, but if you are in the encounter step and you pay someone to encounter a white token, they are not obligated in any way to fulfill their end of the agreement.

Now when it all boils down I think we are all trying to say the same thing here.

To bring it back to topic (yes I will test influence to try and do that) All I initially was trying to say was that if someone has a crew member that you have a bounty for, and that crew is tougher than the player's character who hired him, you could try to pay them credits to set up a deal "Hey I will give you 3,000 credits if you protect your crew from my bounty so that I have an easier fight when I catch up to you." However, you have to realize that that is not a binding trade and when you catch up to your prey your opponent may decide not to protect that crew and you've got the bigger fight that you were trying to avoid.

The whole system of the game is very thematic and fun in this regard. I haven't seen any trades in the initial games I've played, but I think as all the players get more games under their belt we will start to see this more and it will really ramp up the interaction in the game. If you are going to swindle someone on a deal do it at the right time because once you do it once no one is trading with you again, guaranteed!

So far the only trade we have had is a player needing 6,000 credits to pick up a luxuries deck card. I offered to give the money provided she flew towards me and gave me her crew member, who I had a bounty on. I did heavily warn that my increased firepower Slave 1 would tear her ship apart if she did not comply with the trade.

Long story short, she flew to me, I took the crew, then shot her ship down anyway.

SCUM!

On 6/19/2019 at 8:17 AM, onyersix said:

So far the only trade we have had is a player needing 6,000 credits to pick up a luxuries deck card. I offered to give the money provided she flew towards me and gave me her crew member, who I had a bounty on. I did heavily warn that my increased firepower Slave 1 would tear her ship apart if she did not comply with the trade.

Long story short, she flew to me, I took the crew, then shot her ship down anyway.

Did you have an ability that allowed a ship combat? It normally isn't possible to target an opponent without a card direction....

I did a trade last night where I was broke and I promised another player I would give him 2,000 credits when I had money if he encountered the white-pip contact on his current planet.

It was classic, he kept saying "Pay Up, where's my money?" and I kept repeating Han's "I don't have the money with me."

It took me 4-5 turns but I did get the money, and yes I did pay him. Then took a "Wanted" bounty and hunted him down. Then another player did the same thing the turn after he recovered. You can hear the story in the Cantina now:

"Did you hear what happened to Lando on Ryloth? He got curb stomped by two bounty hunters in three days!"

On 6/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, jddilfer said:

Did you have an ability that allowed a ship combat? It normally isn't possible to target an opponent without a card direction....

She had the Chromium Paint Job which allowed anyone to attack her!