Expansions at GenCon maybe?

By Todd, in Heroes of Terrinoth

Does anyone think we'll get an expansion at GenCon? I haven't heard anything but FFG always keeps their secrets close until the week before. *crossing fingers*

I *hope* so but I'm afraid this game is going to be forgotten. I bought it so excited because I saw so much praise for the Warhammer predecessor, thinking that maybe since it has their own IP attached, but FFG seems swamped in Star Wars and KeyForge mania right now.

So depressing, how these quality games are discarded. Asmodee should spin off the board games wing to its own studio, and leave just the lcgs and miniatures with FFG.

Heroes of Terrinoth, Civ: New Dawn, New Angeles, the new(ish) Doom. This could have been a golden age of really solid ffg board games. Instead, we are hit with never-ending sets of slightly different plastic space ships.

Terrinoth line is dead 😞 HoT was dead before print 😞 Luckily the Sadler brothers found a new partner for their great games 🙂

I hope FFG surprises us. I think this could be a very viable game with just a couple of expansions a year. Print some cards and "voila!"; a very affordable option for them. No plastic minis at all.

re: Blacklist Games
This is great for the Sadlers but they would have to start all over as I'm sure FFG wouldn't let them continue with Terrinoth expansions.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Why the heck did they bother reskining the original game if they had no intention of supporting it? I just don't get them sometimes.

15 hours ago, Todd said:

I hope FFG surprises us. I think this could be a very viable game with just a couple of expansions a year. Print some cards and "voila!"; a very affordable option for them. No plastic minis at all.

re: Blacklist Games
This is great for the Sadlers but they would have to start all over as I'm sure FFG wouldn't let them continue with Terrinoth expansions.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You should look at the kickstarter, it's a much more fleshed out version of stuff they've worked on over the years, looks very promising. Very similar mechanics to HoT but "improved" (speculation for now obv, but I've read the rulebook and watched the videos, looks solid).

58 minutes ago, Patrakis said:

Why the heck did they bother reskining the original game if they had no intention of supporting it? I just don't get them sometimes.

Corporate plans change. FFG seems to do a lot of freelancer contracting instead of in-house, so when those freelancers take on other products they can't be used again soon.

7 hours ago, Teslacrashed said:

Corporate plans change. FFG seems to do a lot of freelancer contracting instead of in-house, so when those freelancers take on other products they can't be used again soon.

If I remember correctly, the Sadlers said in an interview that they would have been happy to work on a HoT expansion if only Asmodee asked. So the "problem" seems to be inside Asmodee 😞

I've given up on hoping for announcements from FFG at GenCon (and on trying to predict their release schedule).

They will release what they want to release and I have to resign myself to the fact that it will very rarely fit in with anything I'm even remotely interested in.

I was pleasantly surprised by the announcement of the Descent: Lost Legends expansion a few months ago (only to be subsequently deflated on finding out that it was a pet project handed to an intern... not because this suggests it will be bad, I don't think that at all, but more because it suggests, to me at least, that Descent is very, very low on their priority list). I've also picked up a copy of Journeys in Middle Earth because I love Tolkein and because it looks a solid game with a lot of potential... The rest of the endless Star Wars, Cthulu, Five Rings releases? No, sorry, not interested in buying into any of those. (I do play Imperial Assault and hope to try out Outer Rim soon, but I'm definitely not going to spend any money on them.)

So, suffice it to say: I'm not getting my hopes up for a Heroes of Terrinoth expansion or for anything else I'd be keen to play, because history tells me that I'm only going to be disappointed...