A champions foresight

By RafaelNN, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Not sure I like the wording on the stronghold. I am guessing because it doesn't say "claim the ring as the attacking player" that you don't get the ring effect. I can see people getting this wrong.

On a different note I do like that direction for dragon. Also those crab cards, absolutely bonkers. I am guessing repreive is hitting the restricted list with "withstand the darkness" coming out. Also rebuild and "strategic weakpoint" seems like something that will slip into crab decks. Add assassinate and way of the crab and you can wipe a board.

15 minutes ago, Jamadman said:

Not sure I like the wording on the stronghold. I am guessing because it doesn't say "claim the ring as the attacking player" that you don't get the ring effect. I can see people getting this wrong.

Claiming is a separate stage (3.2.7)of conflict resolution from Resolving the Ring (3.2.6)

1 hour ago, Jamadman said:

I am guessing repreive is hitting the restricted list with "withstand the darkness" coming out.

I'd put the chances of that happening as fairly low considering reprieve is useful in clans outside of Crab and withstand the darkness is in no way a replacement for it. Reprieve both isn't dependent on your opponents behavior to activate and it protects against kill effects like noble sacrifice and endless plain.

Overall Crab's previews were pretty meh, so par for the course.

The Dragon Stronghold could be potentially really annoying given you'll have to deal with it every conflict every turn and it could potentially remove so many rings from the pool that you can't declare all your conflicts. But I suppose that's balanced by the fact that it's trivial to play around.

1 hour ago, Jamadman said:

Ah, but what if you are the attacking player? It's after a conflict is declared - mine, yours, everbody's! Imagine in multiplayer?

29 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

I'd put the chances of that happening as fairly low considering reprieve is useful in clans outside of Crab and withstand the darkness is in no way a replacement for it. Reprieve both isn't dependent on your opponents behavior to activate and it protects against kill effects like noble sacrifice and endless plain.

Overall Crab's previews were pretty meh, so par for the course.

Your right it's a lesser version of reprieve. Reprieve is bonkers. I've played crab consistently from release and the value you get from reprieve is far too good for how reliable it is. If you had withstand the darkness, reprieve and iron mine you would never need to place fate on character. Way to much value.

Hold on a second. Is there a ruling I am missing? The new stonghold is unlimited, I understand the idea is that you can use it every conflict, what is stopping you from using it multiple time when a conflict is declared? Just name every card and waste everyone's time?

An individual reaction can only be activated once in response to each individual trigger, which means you can activate it once for each attack.

30 minutes ago, Evilgm said:

An individual reaction can only be activated once in response to each individual trigger, which means you can activate it once for each attack.

I realised how silly my question shortly after posting when I remembered that watch commander existed, but thank you for posting the answer 😅

Withstand the Darkness is just another Good Omen, which also keeps characters around but doesn't see play in Crab or any decks. There's a very small list of things you'd play on a Tower (and actually work). Most good abilities are on characters and attachments, I think? It doesn't stop assassination and other removal. 5 fires goes around it. It's conditional and I think I'd rather play Good Omens over this. And I do not play Good Omens

Edited by Hordeoverseer

Good Omen doesn't see play because of the Honor Dial restrictions being to unreliable. This will be far easier to activate as one of the most common defenses against towers is send home and bow effects which do usually target

On 6/5/2019 at 9:10 AM, twinstarbmc said:

Ah, but what if you are the attacking player? It's after a conflict is declared - mine, yours, everbody's! Imagine in multiplayer?

The SH allows you to to claim an unclaimed ring. Rings have three states: claimed, unclaimed and contested. If you are attacking or defending, the ring is contested so the SH is unable to be used on that ring.

13 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

The SH allows you to to claim an unclaimed ring. Rings have three states: claimed, unclaimed and contested. If you are attacking or defending, the ring is contested so the SH is unable to be used on that ring.

Yes, I understand that. But, if I'm the attacking player, and via my fancy new Dragon stronghold claim an unclaimed ring in the middle of a conflict, do I then get to resolve the ring effect? I've claimed the ring, I'm the attacker.

14 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

Yes, I understand that. But, if I'm the attacking player, and via my fancy new Dragon stronghold claim an unclaimed ring in the middle of a conflict, do I then get to resolve the ring effect? I've claimed the ring, I'm the attacker.

No because Claiming the Ring is a separate step (3.2.7) of conflict resolution from Resolving the Ring (3.2.6).

57 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

Nope, which is why Display of Power specifies that you both resolve the ring and claim it. Neither resolving nor claiming implies the other.

I guess it is a good thing the company isn't doing an official online version of the game, because an ability like that Dragon Stronghold's would be quite a pain to try to program into such a thing. One would either have to create a dropbox dialogue with every card in the set and update that with each additional set or, otherwise, a database with every card and have the player have to type the card name into a search function box.

It is kind of an odd ability in that it very much relies on knowing what the opponent has in their deck. Unless you have other abilities that allow you to see the opponent's hand, I suppose.

It wouldn't be that hard; you'd already need a database with every card anyway so the data is already there for you. MTGO has a dropdown with every card in the game and a search that partial string matches to filter out results. Arena does it one better and contextually sorts cards/creature types in your deck to the top for abilities where that makes sense.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:19 PM, TheHobgoblyn said:

I guess it is a good thing the company isn't doing an official online version of the game, because an ability like that Dragon Stronghold's would be quite a pain to try to program into such a thing. One would either have to create a dropbox dialogue with every card in the set and update that with each additional set or, otherwise, a database with every card and have the player have to type the card name into a search function box.

It is kind of an odd ability in that it very much relies on knowing what the opponent has in their deck. Unless you have other abilities that allow you to see the opponent's hand, I suppose.

Like Kitsuki Investigator or the Dragon province Scene of Crime, perhaps.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Like Kitsuki Investigator or the Dragon province Scene of Crime, perhaps.

Or policy debate, meek informant or upholding authority. Then there are card effects that reveal cards as they add them to hand or to play then. Prefect gift, pillow book, shrine maiden, the sword smith (forgotten the name), test of skill. There is plenty of ways to have hand knowledge.

Gossip already requires you to know every card in the game and make educated guesses.