Team Comps

By SpiderMana, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Anyone else find any really fun team comps? My favorite so far is Bilbo Burglar teaming up with Pathfinder Legolas equipping the harp and dagger. (Obviously an agility based one-handed weapon might be better for Legolas, but until such a time, he’s stuck with the dagger or worse.)

The fun part of this build is that Legolas 100% has an inspiration on every turn. He can use his disengage ability on any turnt hat the needs to, and when paired with any of his several spirit abilities (particularly Pathfinder #2-3) it becomes super powerful.

We’ve only lost mission 2, so far, but anything that allows us to mostly skip around combat has been a relative breeze—if a fun puzzle of what order to do things in.

My game had been complete Pathfinder Beravor with staff and axe Gimli with the 12 point defense instruction guardian card and then completely hunter. I use Gimli to sweep bad guys and Beravor to do the exploring and about 2/3 of the skill checks. Since she has access to the one card that can bring Gimli along to her space if she gets too far ahead.

A fun one I tried very briefly with Beravor and Legolas:

Beravor as a burglar equipped with sword and banner. When the banner upgrades, it provides inspiration for hiding. And Beravor's "into hiding" card has guard 2, which also provides inspiration from the banner. Combined with self sufficient and extra scouting (thanks to Beravor's ability), Beravor rarely fails a test, and economises inspiration very well.

Legolas is there to explore and take care of enemies while Beravor runs around interacting. Thus, Legolas gets his bow and Pathfinder role so that Beravor doesn't waste too much time moving or fighting.

Edited by Elfik2018

I did like my very fist combo. Guardian/pathfinder Gimli. ”Very dangerous at short (and long distances)” and hunter/burglar Legolas. ”Me thief? How Dare you! Take back your words or I will shoot this arrow through your ears!”

I did use guardian and hunter build in battle maps and pathfinder burglar roles in joyrney maps. Seemed to work very well actually!

Guardian Aragorn with a Banner and a Sword.

Burglar Beravor with a Bow.

Minstrel Elena with dual daggers.

Aragorn focuses on fighting all enemies, Elena on objectives and healing the team, and Beravor is a swing hitter/objective runner.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, King_Balrog said:

Guardian Aragorn with a Banner and a Sword.

Burglar Beravor with a Bow.

Minstrel Elena with dual daggers.

Aragorn focuses on fighting all enemies, Elena on objectives and healing the team, and Beravor is a swing hitter/objective runner.

This is similar to my current campaign, which is on hard mode and so I need lots of ways to generate inspiration:

Guardian Aragorn with sword, banner, and cloak. I took Captain role for first 3 missions to get Master Tactician. Aragorn's job is to guard, support the party with his ability, and do everything else reasonably well too. The Banner generates inspiration for him and nearby heroes whenever possible, and it gives him cleave when fully upgraded. I splashed in Burglar role as well for Embrace the Darkness. This gives him endless opportunities to hide, which generates inspiration from the banner, and he can get rid of the fear with gift of men or with help from Elena or musician Legolas. The banner also means he can get access to pierce (sword) and cleave, or smite (sword) and cleave, so he is good on the offense as well.

Pathfinder Elena with dagger, harp, and travel garb. Elena's job is to be a super pathfinder by using the upgraded travel garb to scout for sprint cards. She also generates inspiration for the party with her ability and her harp, and trailblazer generates inspiration for her. Plus, she can heal the party, hide, and rest. The latter two also generate inspiration with Aragorn's banner. I splash in the burglar and captain roles for their sprint cards (quick thinking and wind among the grass).

Musician Legolas with great bow and cloak. The Musician role is to generate inspiration for himself (endless wonder and endless melody) and the party (travel song), as well as boost the upgraded bow, Mourning Song (which has lethal). The cloak upgrades into fanghorn cloak/slipthorn which eventually gives him economical access to pierce (pierce + lethal is really good offense) and allows him to prevent extra damage or fear. I splashed in hunter role for On the Hunt, which also generates inspiration. Legolas is my hard hitter of the group, obviously.

Hoooly cow, double daggers are incredible . I've got them on Pathfinder Aragorn, and while he tended to avoid combat for the first several missions, now he can do an insane amount of damage with the upgraded daggers. Exploring/Pathfinding builds his inspiration, he's got the upgraded cloak that starts him off hidden, and for whatever reason, I seem to be able to have either Clever Wit or Throngil up at most times, so either an extra card or an extra automatic success.

Playing alongside him I've got Hunter Beravor with the Bow/Agility Attack Option Cloak, and Captain Gimli with the Sword/Harp/other Cloak, whom I've just decided to dip into Guardian.

I'm just excited to find cool/interesting builds beyond the suggested ones, because at first glance there really aren't a ton of options to switch things up with just the core set. Can't wait for expansions!