Adversary Questions

By steveliv001, in Shadow of the Beanstalk

1. Sneaker Net Courier (p223) - Where do the 2 points of Ranged Defense come from?

2. Streetbanger Leader (p233) - Should leather Jacket with gang colors be (+1 defense, +1 soak)?

3. Field Anchor (p225) - Should Soak value be 3 (2 for Brawn +1 Light bulletproof vest)?

4. NAPD Patrol Officer (p229) - Where does 4th point of Soak come from? (Brawn 2, Reinforced Uniform +1)

5. Disenfrancisto Survivalist (p220) - Should Battlefield Medicine be Combat Medicine?

6. Reporter (p220) - How does 'heal 2 strain' from In The Know benefit a minion (which has no strain value)?

7. G-Modstrocity (p227) - Should Adversary 2 be list under Talents instead of Abilities?

The answer to both 1 and 4 is wherever the author wants. NPCs don’t play by PC rules for most numbers. If it makes you feel better, we could say it comes from the appropriate talents. NPCs don’t list passive talent show that just raise numbers, akin to how we don’t ask, “if their Brawn is X, how can they have Y WT?” They just do…the Toughened talent isn’t listed/is implied.

Cool - I'd noticed Wound Thresholds were all over the place - and just assumed that was a balancing effect to maintain the right difficulty level.

Now that I have a bit of time to cross-reference, I can answer a few more.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, steveliv001 said:

2. Streetbanger Leader (p233) - Should leather Jacket with gang colors be (+1 defense, +1 soak)?

(Page 223, btw, not 233). Nope. The leather jacket is just Durable Clothing. Per page 93, " These typical, workaday outfits worn by the majority of New Ange- linos range from synthleather jackets and denim jeans to sturdy mechanics’ coveralls and military surplus jumpsuits. " The Defense bonus is due to them being a leader and nothing to do with their gear.

3. Field Anchor (p225) - Should Soak value be 3 (2 for Brawn +1 Light bulletproof vest)?

Probably should, yeah. Good question to ask FFG (check the FAQ thread pinned in the main Genesys board for a link).

5. Disenfrancisto Survivalist (p220) - Should Battlefield Medicine be Combat Medicine?

Yep, should be. Probably an older name for the talent.

6. Reporter (p220) - How does 'heal 2 strain' from In The Know benefit a minion (which has no strain value)?

Umm…it still causes 2 strain to the target, which is something. I'm guessing it was originally made for a nemesis and given to the minion with the text identical to avoid confusion.

7. G-Modstrocity (p227) - Should Adversary 2 be list under Talents instead of Abilities?

Yeah, it should be.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, c__beck said:

Umm…it still causes 2 strain to the target, which is something. I'm guessing it was originally made for a nemesis and given to the minion with the text identical to avoid confusion.

Yeah, it should be.

hmm the GCRB p 133 does state that the Rival cannot recover from strain which i guess was kinda meant to prevent a rival from having strain recovery as healing.

But if i where to run a Reporter in Android i would prob use them as a social combat type encounter and would totally let them heal the strain as wounds if the pc's inflict strain on them in the social encounter ie just use their wounds as strain threshold in that case. The "in the know" and Leading questions kinda work nice together :)

But this is just a personal opinion prob not was is ment by RAW.

Thanks both - I hadn't seen that passive talents weren't listed - which will probably explain most the gaps.

If i use a reporter - I'll definitely run it as you've suggested Archellus

On 6/2/2019 at 6:26 AM, c__beck said:

The answer to both 1 and 4 is wherever the author wants. NPCs don’t play by PC rules for most numbers. If it makes you feel better, we could say it comes from the appropriate talents.

Do keep in mind, though, that defined talents (and equipment!) might not always make up the difference. As with Adversary, NPCs favor simplicity over mechanical perfection, so (for example) the streetbanger leader just gets +1 defense overall rather than all the caveats of, say, Defensive.

NPCs also carry equipment that simplifies their use, like the SWAT officer's implied selection of shot, stun, beanbag, or flechette shells.