[BLOG] XWD38: Debrief 5 - DROID v Kyle (Kylo + FOs vs Rebel Torp Alpha)

By dsul413, in X-Wing

The Tri Fighter is definitely the upcoming ship I’m most excited about.

From the stream discussion, Max mentioned that the Networked Calculations replacement upgrade is a modification that is intended to allow Networked Calculations ships to “operate more independently” and maybe mix up your squad composition more. I’m curious what form that will take. I’d love to see something like the “advanced droid brain” double calculate, but that would likely need to be pretty expensive.

54 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

From the stream discussion, Max mentioned that the Networked Calculations replacement upgrade is a modification that is intended to allow Networked Calculations ships to “operate more independently” and maybe mix up your squad composition more. I’m curious what form that will take. I’d love to see something like the “advanced droid brain” double calculate, but that would likely need to be pretty expensive.

You may treat your calc as red to get a second token; but by equipping the card, you not only lose net calc but other ships with net calc can't use your tokens

source: squinting

5 minutes ago, svelok said:

You may treat your calc as red to get a second token; but by equipping the card, you not only lose net calc but other ships with net calc can't use your tokens

source: squinting

That's a great read and fits it as I look back at it.

Depending on the list, that'd be really useful. Opens up possibilities with non-swarm archetypes for sure.

Curious how that would interact with the boost > red calculate?

8 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

Curious how that would interact with the boost > red calculate?

You likely couldn't trigger that "special" calculate if we assume this verbiage. Pretty sure we can't "treat as red" a red action...but I may be wrong. I like that as a balancing feature compared to just giving them advanced droid brain after boost and always getting #2.

Edit: That said, I can't find that specified in the FAQ so...I think it'd depend on the exact wording of the card and hopefully some additional info.

Edited by dsul413

I'm guessing the wording would probably be something like Daredevil where it specifies that you only get to do it when you replace a white calculate with a red calculate?

4 hours ago, dsul413 said:

You likely couldn't trigger that "special" calculate if we assume this verbiage. Pretty sure we can't "treat as red" a red action...but I may be wrong. I like that as a balancing feature compared to just giving them advanced droid brain after boost and always getting #2.

Edit: That said, I can't find that specified in the FAQ so...I think it'd depend on the exact wording of the card and hopefully some additional info.

Per faq for Cracken: you may treat red actions as red actions. By the by, I'd think having 2 calcs is worse than 1 + networked calc (assuming it prevents other ships from using your tokens for their networked calcs)

2 hours ago, VOEBlue said:

Per faq for Cracken: you may treat red actions as red actions. By the by, I'd think having 2 calcs is worse than 1 + networked calc (assuming it prevents other ships from using your tokens for their networked calcs)

Awesome! Thanks for the input, even better.

6 hours ago, VOEBlue said:

Sure, but it does let you throw a bomber or Tri-fighter in an otherwise non-droid list and get something out of it. Though if it's what we think it is, it had better not cost more than one point.

Surprised no mention of freelance slicer - parlaying a lock (easy to get for free in many cases and much longer range) into a long-range defensive jam.

42 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Surprised no mention of freelance slicer - parlaying a lock (easy to get for free in many cases and much longer range) into a long-range defensive jam.

Added to the list for a second post on the subject! I've got a bunch of thoughts on the passive electromagnetic protection type cards, but I've had a bunch of people bring up some of these other cards for how they should be used. I think I'll get in another discussion on the topic and I'll add freelance to the list :D

It's a great article. My view is this: jamming is basically trading an action (or an attack, in the case of a jamming beam or magpulse) for an action on an enemy ship.

It's therefore worth it IF your action is worth significantly less than theirs, for likely reasons which include:

• The jammer is a very cheap ship and/or the jammed ship is very expensive - e.g. a HWK-260 jamming an ace.
  • The jam action was 'free' - e.g. the transponder codes illicit or Poe's (new) ability.
  • The action you're removing would take effect multiple times - e.g. jamming away a reinforce before a swarm opens up.
  • You can't contribute otherwise - e.g. a janming ship moves first and is confident the target will overshoot, so neither party has a shot.
  • There is some extra rules trigger which 'goes off' based on the target having, or not having, the jammable token. Juke springs to mind, as does Major Vermeil's ability.