I play with my 60+ year old parents...

By Modarius, in Your Stories

They get into adjacent rooms at the inn.
Dad: *immediately* CAN I SEE HER THROUGH THE PAPER DIVIDER?
Mom: YES CAN I SEE HIM THROUGH THE PAPER DIVIDER???
me: *sighs* .........maybe? if you light the candle at night you can see some shadows on the other side---
Dad: I ASK THE INNKEEPER LOUDLY FOR A CANDLE FOR PRAYER AND SHE CAN HEAR ME RIGHT? (Mom's character is religious)
Me: ...yes. yes Aki hears you. Aki what are you thinking?
Mom: I SEE HIS BROAD SHOULDERED FIGURE THROUGH THE SCREEN AND I AM IMPRESSED.

Me: * dying slowly*.

Just kidding (not really) --- they are way into this game and it makes me so happy. I am the experienced GM, and while Dad played DnD in the 70s, my mom has ZERO experience with roleplaying games. Yet, they are fantastically more into the universe than most of the new players I run into. We got through the beginner game and they are recreating their characters for the rest of the campaign, as I wanted them to get away from their beginner booklets. The booklets have a lot of information on there that they can now decide for themselves! They are very excited to start their new adventures.

Sweet, not only can they throw random stuff at like players do, they can embarrass you like only parents can!

Uhmm.. this is going the wrong way. Your supposed to get your children hooked on role-playing.

Ah, but this way he can get them to pay for the rulebooks.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, Modarius said:

Yet, they are fantastically more into the universe than most of the new players I run into.

Thing is, whether you play the RPG, the card game, or neither, it's a really interesting setting, and it's not hard to plagiarise (ahem) "draw inspiration from" basically any samurai or sword-and-chivalry movie ever as a storyline.

Edited by Magnus Grendel