Bossk/Trandoshan Hunter Fixes

By NukeADuke, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Does anybody have any ideas on fixes for Bossk or the Trandos?

Check this thread out. There's a link in the first post to a whole bunch of fixes for older cards.

I reckon Bossk is pretty good as is. Trandoshans aren't so great though.

Trandoshans, especially elite trandos, hit hard and their strain attack is fun, but they need to be adjacent for maximum value. With only 6/8 health, it's really hard to get that close to your opponent without getting focused down (especially since your opponent knows how hard they hit and how relatively easy they are to kill). I'm not someone who really has a good grasp on what it takes to fix things, but I'd say that adding some health to them would be a good start.

Bossk has a bit of a similar issue. I haven't run the numbers or anything, but between Indiscriminate Fire and his natural huge attack he's got to be one of the best damage dealers for their cost in the game. His problem is the same as the trandoshans - he wants to be within range 3 to guarantee accuracy on his attack. Also, if he wants to maximize his offense and do both an attack and Indiscriminate Fire at the same time, he doesn't get to move which leaves him as a bit of a sitting duck.

He's not the worst, and his abilities are definitely super cool (To the Limit is a great card for him with his condition clearing, for example), but it's hard for him to hang around long in world where spectre damage, pierce 3 and assassinates are flying around everywhere. I don't really have a fix, but I love playing Bossk and would love to see one.

Trandos and Bossk both share an issue of needing "skirmish only" fixes.

In campaign you have multiple deployment spots, which means an ambush with either at optimal range is much easier to pull off.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:16 AM, ManateeX said:

Trandoshans, especially elite trandos, hit hard and their strain attack is fun, but they need to be adjacent for maximum value. With only 6/8 health, it's really hard to get that close to your opponent without getting focused down (especially since your opponent knows how hard they hit and how relatively easy they are to kill). I'm not someone who really has a good grasp on what it takes to fix things, but I'd say that adding some health to them would be a good start.

Bossk has a bit of a similar issue. I haven't run the numbers or anything, but between Indiscriminate Fire and his natural huge attack he's got to be one of the best damage dealers for their cost in the game. His problem is the same as the trandoshans - he wants to be within range 3 to guarantee accuracy on his attack. Also, if he wants to maximize his offense and do both an attack and Indiscriminate Fire at the same time, he doesn't get to move which leaves him as a bit of a sitting duck.

He's not the worst, and his abilities are definitely super cool (To the Limit is a great card for him with his condition clearing, for example), but it's hard for him to hang around long in world where spectre damage, pierce 3 and assassinates are flying around everywhere. I don't really have a fix, but I love playing Bossk and would love to see one.

I have to agree with you. it seems to me that they might both need some sort of a movement buff to get them into the needed range for their attacks. maybe give them nimble and something like IG's two movement points at the start of a turn?

Edited by NukeADuke

Would something like this maybe help them?

image.png.5ae317eea3c50d18bd61a65e29a1b08b.png

This would help with getting them close to their targets and help them live a little longer. Maybe it should be trandoshan hunters only?

I'd actually argue that it's not that Trando needs more health, 8HP is plenty to chew through. The problem is with the ability to do outrageous damage in 1 shot

so my proposal might be something along the lines of "While defending, command cards cannot be played and the keyword Pierce has no effect". I'd much prefer to curve down the power curve and have attackers deal less damage than trying to give additional HP to justify/prevent being one-shotted. I remember there was an analysis where it's actually possible for Han Solo (with 12 HP, white def dice) to be one-shotted and someone has already one-shotted Terro (13 HP, black def dice)

17 minutes ago, ricope said:

I'd actually argue that it's not that Trando needs more health, 8HP is plenty to chew through. The problem is with the ability to do outrageous damage in 1 shot

so my proposal might be something along the lines of "While defending, command cards cannot be played and the keyword Pierce has no effect". I'd much prefer to curve down the power curve and have attackers deal less damage than trying to give additional HP to justify/prevent being one-shotted. I remember there was an analysis where it's actually possible for Han Solo (with 12 HP, white def dice) to be one-shotted and someone has already one-shotted Terro (13 HP, black def dice)

Are you saying that they need to be able to do more damage or that they should do less?

32 minutes ago, NukeADuke said:

Are you saying that they need to be able to do more damage or that they should do less?

Trando's damage output is fine, it's the other figures (the attackers) are doing too much damage in 1 shot

I'm saying it's much better to nerf the heavy hitters (ex. Spectres) than buff/ giving more HP to the non-heavy hitters so that they won't be one-shotted

because the 2nd way is just going to encourage 30HP or 50HP figures to be designed

Edited by ricope

Yeah, I like the idea of someone or something who can negate pierce. Not sure if Trados fit that thematically or not... I really like Bossk's regenerate. Why couldn't the other trandos have that too. Would that be enough to help them? Then add some special movement thing like the above card for Bossk only.

I reckon if Bossk can do it because he is Trandoshan then the other Tradoshans should be able too as well.

I also wish they had done more with species, for traits and command cards. We have a Wookie trait. Why not have Trandoshan (three deployments), Rodian, (four deployments) and maybe some others... This has been mentioned before though. More traits like "Engineer" or "mechanic" or something else would have been good too. You could then help out figures like Saska (Mechanic? Technician?) by purely adding command cards... Just ideas.

6 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Yeah, I like the idea of someone or something who can negate pierce. Not sure if Trados fit that thematically or not... I really like Bossk's regenerate. Why couldn't the other trandos have that too. Would that be enough to help them? Then add some special movement thing like the above card for Bossk only.

I reckon if Bossk can do it because he is Trandoshan then the other Tradoshans should be able too as well.

I also wish they had done more with species, for traits and command cards. We have a Wookie trait. Why not have Trandoshan (three deployments), Rodian, (four deployments) and maybe some others... This has been mentioned before though. More traits like "Engineer" or "mechanic" or something else would have been good too. You could then help out figures like Saska (Mechanic? Technician?) by purely adding command cards... Just ideas.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Why not have a trandoshan and other species traits. I have tried making other traits for figures in the past. Maybe it is time to start that up again?

This was my original fix for Bossk. I don't know if it quite fixes him or if he should keep his white die.

image.png.cb4e4118d339e5a065f99a2929cb5963.png